Down to two HSF's

I've narrowed my search for a HSF combo to two for my A64 3000+ venice(to be oc'ed)

Either the Ninja with the ARCTIC COOLING Arctic Fan 12 (I'll find a way to mount it)

or a

Thermalright Si-120 with ARCTIC COOLING Arctic Fan 12 and a duct directly from teh side of case for fresh air.

What do you guys think? The ninja probably performs slightly better but bringing fresh outside air to the TH may improve its performance.

I also VOTE NINJA, it just looks so KICK ASS.. cause it's so damn BIG!

Ninja as long as it fits in your case. It's quite gigantic.

Zalman 9500!

ff4c4cff.jpg

I can run a duct from the ninja to the exhaust, but how from the inlet? I would need to custom fabricate some kind of 90 degree bent tubing etc.

-edit from the only direct comparison reviews I can find the Ninja outperforms the XP120 but the Si 120 performs on par or better...

The performance differences vary too much to come to a conclusion... I'm leaning towards teh si120 due to the fact that I can get cooler air to it...

P4.htm1.gif

P4.htm2.gif

The one degree dif here, and the fact that with a side duct I can get colder air to the Si 120... and I'm going to be moving this machine arg I don't know, there are no head to head comparisons of the si-120 and the ninja...
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=12&artpage=1682&articID=406

Sounds like you've already decided you want the SI120. It's a great cooler, so go for it. Everyone else recommends the ninja, including myself, but it's your $$$ so spend it on what you want. You're not going to regret either choice.

Kinda strange how the Thermalright SI-120 is so much smaller than the ninja but somehow does better............

I wouldn't trust those charts - I think the numbers are taken from different setups and aren't comparable. From everything I've seen, the Ninja is the best performing HSF for CPU temps. If you check out that review on madshrimps you'll see the Ninja beats the SI120 by 3 deg at load using the same fan.

The big problem with the Ninja is that its insanely massive. I laugh everytime I look at it. Honestly it does a reall good job though, side mounted fan is great, can aim it right at the back case fans so teh airflow is right out the case, plus the fan on teh bottom of the PSU can push some out.

Bigger than big:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d104/YARDofSTUF/DSC00053.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d104/YARDofSTUF/DSC00054.jpg

Actaully moved the fan so that it was on the side where the ram is blowing onto the heatsinks fins. Easier to move it there and install everything in the open(no case) and then reposition it all in its final locations.

So far on my budget and all I've decided to try the Si120 with fresh air coming in from the side. maybe the performance will be better since the air will be from outside the case, I'm trying to keep the pc fairly quiet so I'm not going to resort to ultra high CFM fans.

Scythe says it's 150mm tall. Can anyone confirm this? Is it much taller with a fan attached?

R0bstard said:
Scythe says it's 150mm tall. Can anyone confirm this? Is it much taller with a fan attached?

it is 150mm tall and the fan doesn't add to its height. I have the MSI K8N neo2 where the cpu sits a tad lower than normal so the ninja won't really be in front of the 120 exhaust, do to sheer size it will but not exactly. I've decided to go with the si120 and this fan http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835186008

but I'll have to find a way to mount it, I'm thinking of using a dead 120mm fan shell as a mount and shroud. I'm gonna look to see if I can mod a cd spindle cover as a duct.

2 questions:

If i have an oem processor, will i have to buy some as5 or does the ninja come with grease?

And, will i be able to mount a fan on the ram with the ninja in the way?

I think the ninja like every hs comes with some kind of thermal grease but I'd go with the AS5 anyways. Also for the ram question that depends on how u mount the fan on the ninja and ur mobo design.

jcll2002 said:
2 questions:

If i have an oem processor, will i have to buy some as5 or does the ninja come with grease?

And, will i be able to mount a fan on the ram with the ninja in the way?

The ninja comes with grease, but I threw it out and used as5 instead. I really don't know,but for me the fan on the ninja rests directly on the ram, so I can't use one.

MatDef said:
The ninja comes with grease, but I threw it out and used as5 instead. I really don't know,but for me the fan on the ninja rests directly on the ram, so I can't use one.

You know you can adjust the position of the fan on the ninja, right. I have mine sticking about 1/2 inch above the top to clear my ram. I might move the fan to an unobstructed side to see if it helps temps, but I'm happy for now.

Ninja gets my vote. Quite possibly the best heatsink on the market. Ingeniously designed too.

theseeker said:
Not really, it was about cooling. These coolers are excellent!

I also vote Zalman 9500. BTW Seeker, shouldn't your 9500's be facing the other way? So that they exhaust out the back of the case.

jcll2002 said:
dayymm that is big. Do you think itll fit in this case?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129173

Placement of the CPU socket is the big factor. If the CPU is right at the top of the case, its gonna be REAL tight and the fan cannot mount on the side up by the PSU, not the best place for it anyway.

If the CPU socket is at the top on your board and you want this, I can break out a ruler and measure how far above the boards PCB the sink reaches.

In my case I had 1/2 a millimeter between the PSU's fan grill and the Scythe.

silverphoenix said:
That is the xp120, the si120 has been tested to outperform the xp.
and by how much? enough to beat the ninja? that would mean running 6+ *C cooler

AppaYipYip said:
I also vote Zalman 9500. BTW Seeker, shouldn't your 9500's be facing the other way? So that they exhaust out the back of the case.
the rear fans in the tj07 are intake fans ;)

N H O said:
and by how much? enough to beat the ninja? that would mean running 6+ *C cooler

the rear fans in the tj07 are intake fans ;)

The Si120 beats the xp120 by anywhere between 2c-10C depending on the review. Like I said The ninja performs better but it is bigger heavier(this machine moves a bit) and witht the ninja it will have to be cooled by air inside the case while with the thermalright I can cool it with colder air from outside the case.

silverphoenix said:
The Si120 beats the xp120 by anywhere between 2c-10C depending on the review. Like I said The ninja performs better but it is bigger heavier(this machine moves a bit) and witht the ninja it will have to be cooled by air inside the case while with the thermalright I can cool it with colder air from outside the case.
do you hav a link that you can provide that proves this? and the ninja directly exhausts the heat out the rear fan ;)

Back