7800 GT Operating Temperature.

Danger Manger

Limp Gawd
I noticed that my GPU temperature reaches 84*C at load. Is this too high? I don't see any ill effects though.

that's a tad warm, at default clocks our 7800 GT was 62c at full load, that's in an open system though, if it isn't causing artifacts or problems like freezing, then i suppose if it works it works, though that will definitely shorten its lifespan, i'd look into some better case cooling or something

not too high, but about as high as i would be comfortable with, try to increase case ventilation with more/better fans, better wire management or even a new case with a better fan setup like an exhaust fan in the top of the case and/or a fan or two pulling cool air in through the side panel

could try lowering room temp too

What is your ambient case temperature? And are you overclocking your 7800GT?

Those 2 things are important in determining if 84C if hot or not.

My case has only one 120mm fan in the front of the case, and it's used to cool the giant cpu heatsink. Everything is at stock speeds. It idles around 60*C.

My 7800GT @ stock runs at 15C over case ambient when idle and about 36C over ambient under load.

Now just find your case temperature and compare. :p

pxc said:
What is your ambient case temperature? And are you overclocking your 7800GT?

Those 2 things are important in determining if 84C if hot or not.

84*c is too hot no matter what, or close to too hot anyways, overclocking or not, case temp regardless, 84*c is just too warm for comfort

Danger Manger said:
My case has only one 120mm fan in the front of the case, and it's used to cool the giant cpu heatsink. Everything is at stock speeds. It idles around 60*C.

there's your problem, you need more airflow, that sounds about right for a case with one case fan

nobody_here said:
case temp regardless
Since the card gets air from inside the case, you can't disregard case temperature. :rolleyes:

I've had stuffy microATX cases that had air at 45C inside. A card that runs 35C over ambient will run at 80C and will be completely normal. Not ideal, but still normal. The G70 doesn't throttle until 115C.

If case temperatures are OK (which he should be able to check easily), there may be a problem with the heatsink not making contact on the card or the cooling not running correctly (slow fan, dust clogged heatsink, etc).

I hate to tell you guys this, but 84 C is not bad at all. The 7800s in laptops run at around 90 C. Do you have the EVGA card? Some of the EVGA cards can reach 80-90C on full load because of the overclocks.

The question you have to ask is:
1. Do you get artifacts looping 3dmark06? If no then I would not worry.

Besides the max operating temp of the 7800 series is 115C. You are far from that. If it is stable then you really have nothing to worry about. It is funny how people say it is too hot, but then they can not show you any hard evidence where there has been a death from a video card running stable inside the operating limit.

roaf85 said:
I hate to tell you guys this, but 84 C is not bad at all. The 7800s in laptops run at around 90 C. Do you have the EVGA card? Some of the EVGA cards can reach 80-90C on full load because of the overclocks.

The question you have to ask is:
1. Do you get artifacts looping 3dmark06? If no then I would not worry.

Besides the max operating temp of the 7800 series is 115C. You are far from that. If it is stable then you really have nothing to worry about. It is funny how people say it is too hot, but then they can not show you any hard evidence where there has been a death from a video card running stable inside the operating limit.

Well it doesn't matter much but the card might only last a couple years at that temp, but not a major problem if he's not planing to keep it much longer (then a couple years).

Edit: OH I forgot, unless he does a ton of gaming and it idles around 60C his card will be fine, no card is at load 100% all the time unless it's used by more then 1 person.

Mine stay at 40C at idle and hover around 50-55C at full load. I played 2 hours of Quake4 DM online last night and checked my GPU temps and both cards were at 50C.

Scott

Hmmm...that temp seems waaay high compared to my Leadtek.
Clocked at 520/1.2 it idles at 31c and has never gone higher than 38c...admittedly it's watercooled, but still....

I wonder if my sensors are goofy?

Mine Leadtek 7800 GT(stock cooler) is running in idle at ~45C and in load ~70C.

sculelos said:
Well it doesn't matter much but the card might only last a couple years at that temp, but not a major problem if he's not planing to keep it much longer (then a couple years).

Edit: OH I forgot, unless he does a ton of gaming and it idles around 60C his card will be fine, no card is at load 100% all the time unless it's used by more then 1 person.

The key word is might. There is no evidence where a 7800GT has stopped working at that temp. I do not understand, if the card was truely overheating than wouldnt it artifact? My friends 7800GTX in his dell XPS2 runs at around 90C at load. No problems for close to a year.

Danger Manger said:

you have no exhaust fan?

an NV silencer will drop your temps 10-15C.I can say this because my 7800Gt used to run at 76C and now it never breaks 62C.

I also have a 6800GT that was running at 87C and was quite unstable if ambient temps were warmer than usual. After installing the NV silencer it never breaks 70C.

http://www.svc.com/avc-nv5-r3.html
put it on and never think about your GPU temps again.

Mine used to run at low 70s at full load, but lately it's been going on to high 80s..and then the artifacts and lockups come :/ I have no clue what happened, I haven't touched anything in the case since I put it together for the first time.

wahoyaho said:
Mine used to run at low 70s at full load, but lately it's been going on to high 80s..and then the artifacts and lockups come :/ I have no clue what happened, I haven't touched anything in the case since I put it together for the first time.

clean out the dust.

Back