Recently got my 7900gtx...results! Feel free to post your result/thoughts!

Nirad9er

2[H]4U
Well my PNY 7900gtx came in Tuesday and I'd wanted to share some results.

Instantly out of the box I overclocked to 690/1760 (haven't tried higher).

Using 84.20
3dmark05 - 11671
3dmark06 - 5928

Battlefield 2 ran unbelievably smooth at 1600x1200 8xAA/16AF SuperSampling/Gamma Correction AA

CSS ran like melted butter

Dawn of War : 1600x1200 Max settings, 8xAA/16AF SuperSampling/Gamma Correction AA.
Haven't really tried anything else

In conclusion: EVERYTHINGS RUNS SMOOTH AS ________ BUTTER!!! (You pick the brand :p )

Also, My computer is much quieter than with my previous x1800xt.

Nirad9er said:
In conclusion: EVERYTHINGS RUNS SMOOTH AS _I can't believe it's not_ BUTTER!!! (You pick the brand :p )

Glad you are happy :D

Score in 3dmark06 seems suspiciously low though, with my 7900GTX at the same clocks, and my Opty 170 at 2.4, I hit 6200 on my first try. Your 05 scores seem to be on par with mine. Have you tried any more runs at 06? Any problems with lockups in 06?

So far I am pretty happy, do these scores seem right?

3DMark 2005 default settings = 9676

3DMark 2006 default settings = 4825

I'm still seeig how far I can push the visuals in Quake IV, anyone aware of a good timedemo?

Guild Wars runs at a locked in 60fps (vsync on always) with everythign cranked but water, 4x AA/16x @1920x1200.

CS:S 1680x1050, 2xAA/16xAF, all high, vsync on 54fps

HL2:LC 1680x1050, 16xAF, all high, HDR on, vsync on 55fps

WCES Ryan said:
Glad you are happy :D

Score in 3dmark06 seems suspiciously low though, with my 7900GTX at the same clocks, and my Opty 170 at 2.4, I hit 6200 on my first try. Your 05 scores seem to be on par with mine. Have you tried any more runs at 06? Any problems with lockups in 06?

No, I only had one run at 06 when I first overclocked. It could be some setting I had on in the control panel. I thought I turned AA/AF off and set mipmap to high performance. I think I turned triple buffering on though. Maybe that had something to do.

What do you recommend I set in the control panel for benchmarking? Do I turn desktop resolution down?

I also have my 4 x 512mb @ a forced 2T timing. That could have a small factor

Any suggestions. Let me know.

im running COD 2 with everything on high at 1600x1200 AA and Antroscopic filtering all the way up.. and im getting like 30ish fps, is that right? maybe it was the map?

.Wiggles. said:
im running COD 2 with everything on high at 1600x1200 AA and Antroscopic filtering all the way up.. and im getting like 30ish fps, is that right? maybe it was the map?

Wiggles, you're one of the few people with a single Superclocked card that isn't getting freezing, would you mind telling me what BIOS version you have?

Ditto for OP, your PNY card is running at the same speed as the eVGA superclocks with no lock-up, would it be possible to get a copy of your BIOS?

Thanks in advance to both of you!

neubspeed said:
Wiggles, you're one of the few people with a single Superclocked card that isn't getting freezing, would you mind telling me what BIOS version you have?

Ditto for OP, your PNY card is running at the same speed as the eVGA superclocks with no lock-up, would it be possible to get a copy of your BIOS?

10 bucks says it has to do with the delta set in the bios.

pandora's box said:
10 bucks says it has to do with the delta set in the bios.

That's what I thought too. But a few of us tried the XFX BIOS with a lower geometric delta clock and it made no difference. This entire situation has me very pissed and frustrated.

Congrats to all of you that got a GTX OC that's running without freezing.

Thanks Wiggles, I shot you a PM.

neubspeed said:
That's what I thought too. But a few of us tried the XFX BIOS with a lower geometric delta clock and it made no difference. This entire situation has me very pissed and frustrated.

Congrats to all of you that got a GTX OC that's running without freezing.

Thanks Wiggles, I shot you a PM.

that sucks, hopefully it gets fixed.

btw, the 10 bucks, thats monopoly money.
:D

Sabrewulf165 said:
X2 @ 2.0, GTX @ 650/1600

3dm06 - 5700

X2 @ 2.4, GTX @ 693/1794

3dm06 - 6300

7900 series is definately cpu limitted in most situations. cant wait for conroe!
:cool:

neubspeed said:

Aren't ya gonna ask for my BIOS? ;) My PNY GTX has been stable at 693/1794 and 697/1808 so far (3dm06, UT2k4, SW:EaW)

Sabrewulf165 said:
Aren't ya gonna ask for my BIOS? ;) My PNY GTX has been stable at 693/1794 and 697/1808 so far (3dm06, UT2k4, SW:EaW)

LOL, all the working Superclock BIOS are the same as the faulty Superclock cards. I'm starting to see a trend though, everyone with a working 3Dmark06 tested Superclock card SEEMS to be running an MSI board.

neubspeed said:
LOL, all the working Superclock BIOS are the same as the faulty Superclock cards. I'm starting to see a trend though, everyone with a working 3Dmark06 tested Superclock card SEEMS to be running an MSI board.

Well I am running an MSI K8NGM2-FID :eek: ;)

neubspeed said:
i have an msi k8n diamond plus :eek:

My GTXs aren't eVGA but they're XFX Extreme (675/1700), working fine and I too am using the K8N Diamond Plus. Seems that most people with problems are also using the Asus A8N32-SLI...

pandora's box said:
7900 series is definately cpu limitted in most situations. cant wait for conroe!
:cool:

My X2 3800+ @ 2.6ghz/core will soon be challenging my 7900GT to a duel of the bottlenecks! May the one that isn't the bottleneck win!! :p

P.S. I have a hard time thinking my 7900GT will NOT be the bottleneck in Oblivion with high-end options on my rig... 1680x1050, 4x MSAA Transparency Gamma-corrected antialiasing mode, 16x aniso, HQ in drivers with LOD clamp on, and high Oblivion options should make it pretty bottlenecked on the videocard, especially since Oblivion is supposed to make full use of multithreading for dual cores to boost performance :D !

GoldenTiger said:
especially since Oblivion is supposed to make full use of multithreading for dual cores to boost performance :D !

Yeah, I'm very excited about that too. This'll be the first game (at least that I care about) that will really allow my X2 to stretch it's legs :)

Welcome to the G71 club, Nirad9er. It's a great performing, quiet, stable piece of hardware :cool:

So maybe I can overclock my 7900GTXs when I get them after all? I'm getting an MSI K8N Diamond Plus...and I'd bet on the deltas too....

Back