Backlight Testing on Samsung 21" 215tw

charliebrown78

Weaksauce
I guess most of you doesn't really care about this monitor, but those of you who are interested in this monitor, here you go.
I did this testing in pitch dark room with only this monitor on. This monitor has been turned on for more than 24hours.
I tested with three settings.

1. 63(contrast) & 11(brightness). This was a preset mode called 'text' and this was most easy on my eyes. There is almost no sign of backlight at all.
text1sd.jpg

2. 63(contrast) & 50(brightness). This time I raised brightness to 50. It was just too bright for me. Not for daily use. You can see some backlight forming X shape here.
medium8aw.jpg

3. 100(contrast) & 100(brightness). This is the maximum setting for both contrast and brightness. It's hard to read text or look at bright colors like white or yellow. It unbearably ultra bright. You can see some more of those backlight.
max5cc.jpg

Well, there you go. To be honest with you, I didn't realize my monitor has a backlight until I turn all the lights off and took these pictures. It's really hard to see it with your own eyes especially when you have your light on even with setting contrast and brightness to maximum. I'm definetely keeping this baby.

I bought the old version of Dell 2000WFP about 2 years ago and I returned it because I saw 4 X-shape back lightning. Now I am my friend's old monitor 17" Viewsonic VP171b and it has the same problem. These backlight issues only appear when you have a black screen saver or a dark movie scene. I am starting to believe that all LCD have these backlight "issues".

onewisp said:
I bought the old version of Dell 2000WFP about 2 years ago and I returned it because I saw 4 X-shape back lightning. Now I am my friend's old monitor 17" Viewsonic VP171b and it has the same problem. These backlight issues only appear when you have a black screen saver or a dark movie scene. I am starting to believe that all LCD have these backlight "issues".

Most do, but not all of them. Some are very hard to see even in pitch dark and some are so terrible that they are visible during daylight. From my experience, expensive LCD's tend to have less backlight bleeding.

This looks reasonable to me. Where did you buy it and how much did it cost? What other observations can you make on this model (color accuracy, black level, etc.) Do you think it would make a good display for a photog?

ho72 said:
This looks reasonable to me. Where did you buy it and how much did it cost? What other observations can you make on this model (color accuracy, black level, etc.) Do you think it would make a good display for a photog?

So far 2 of these I have bought both had background leakage, but it was very slight, along with some slight banding, where gradients are not smooth, but have a stair-stepped appearence. I only have noticed this online at one website where a background image was two-tone in color, the banding appeared in the lighter hues.

Also when playing a FPS game, and going into a low light area on a map, the weapons loose image quality, sort of like if you where looking at the panel on a angle, where it gives a more faded look.

As far as the desktop 2D quality it was very clear and sharp.

Well I'm going to hang on to this one for a few weeks and drag it back to Costco later in hopes a THIRD one this time is good.

I built a high-end SLI box and I want a nice LCD, so not sure this is going to fill my SLI's shoes.

ALOHA

DasFox said:
I built a high-end SLI box and I want a nice LCD, so not sure this is going to fill my SLI's shoes.
OH ?? I was going to use this 215tw to fill my SLI requirements. Why do you think diff. What would be better in your opinion ?

alien resident said:
OH ?? I was going to use this 215tw to fill my SLI requirements. Why do you think diff. What would be better in your opinion ?

Well in this size range I'd probably think the NEC MultiSync 20WMGX2 to be a better LCD.

So far from what I can tell after using two of these Samsungs and reading what others have to say about the NEC, the NEC sounds better. I didn't want to buy an LCD online, because where I live there isn't much in the stores and I didn't want to have to deal with RMAs, so I bought this Samsung because Costco started carrying them where I live so I said what the heck, might as well give it a try.

But I'll tell you this if Costco had these NECs I wouldn't of even considered the Samsung.

For a very high-end SLI system this one doesn't really cut it.

Hmm, that is disappointing to hear. Although I do not have a SLI setup (yet anyway), I am seeking my first LCD. Its realyl hard to find something in the 21" widescreen range, that has a decent pannel and can do portrait or landscape! From what I have seen no NEC's can meet this requirement.

DaRkF0g said:
Hmm, that is disappointing to hear. Although I do not have a SLI setup (yet anyway), I am seeking my first LCD. Its realyl hard to find something in the 21" widescreen range, that has a decent pannel and can do portrait or landscape! From what I have seen no NEC's can meet this requirement.

I would still go for this screen. It may not be as good as the NEC it its one of the best all round displays there are in terms of apect control, size, inputs and quality it has no major faults.

That was its major selling point- to me. Plus I believe Samsung has a good reputation. More expensive, yes. At least I can return it for any dead pixel's and such (although if it only has one I will likely keep it).

DaRkF0g, try it out, it's not that bad at all, I am just super picky, my box alone was $2500 so I want a DAMM KILLER LCD. Let's face it you get what you pay for and I really want something in the 23"-26" range too.

Overall this is not a bad LCD at all.

Try it you might like it, BUT I'd try to get one in a local store and not online, so you can just drive back and return it if you don't like it.

GL

ALOHA

I am pretty sold on this montior allready. Just like you, I am picky too. I would to get my money's worth out of it. However, I am going to have to wait until the 20th of June- my birthday. I cannot afford a $600 monitor at the moment.

I also am planning to buy it retail- as it is the same price as online. This way, like you said it will be easier to return if I dislike it for any reason.

I went to BestBuy the other day to observe it. I like everything about it. From what I could tell there were no dead pixels with the store display, and there was no obvious backlight bleeding.

I think that I'm sold on this thing as well. Its got about everything that I want in a monitor. Widescreen, fast enough for FPS, not a TN panel, great input options, lots of adjustability, and from a quality manufacturer. Not overpricedl like I think the 23-24in panels are, you can get 2 20inch panels for the price of most of the 23-24inch ones! I think I'm gonna get one tomorrow after work. Did your guy's come with a DVI cable?

DaRkF0g I didn't get any dead pixels with 2 of them I have tried so far, the desktop has been very clear, text and all. For 2D it is very nice.

The only thing that bugs me is there is a bit of gradient banding in images. And when playing a FPS game, when you go into a low light area on a map the weapon or whatever you are looking at looses image quality.

And last, because I have two evga 7900 GT superclocked cards, I'd rather be playing on a bigger screen at 1920x1200.

Anyhow I've given this monitor a go, but it's just not up to my standard.

ALOHA

Back