Viewsonic VP930 mini review

A

altcon

Well, after a month of waiting I finally got my new LCD screen.

So here goes:
Packaging was great in a big comfortable box, well padded so nothing happens to it.
The box looked fairly simple (no fancy color wrappers) but included everything you need.
The screen itself is preassembled - so there's nothing to put together (which is a shame cause i was really curious how the pivot mechanism works).
The box included:
VP930 19" LCD monitor (well, duh)
1 VGA cable
1 DVI cable
2 power cables (I can't even begin to guess why)
1 Info leaflet with two CDS (containing one small page of info in a gazlillion languages)

Setup was easy, turn on my PC with DVI plugged in.
The display anounces that 1280*1024 is the preffered res and that you should set it to it.
On initial entry to windows everything is way too bright (Contrast and brightness are set to 100% at default).
I tried installing their software to help color calibirate the monitor - but it's a no go.
The software just hard locks my PC, appaerently they didn't adapt it to the new 7XXX series yet.
The much discussed X backlight bleed was apparent at the default settings.
I messed around with the controls a bit - I found 6500 temp is pretty good looking with about 50 for brightness and 70 for contrast. I'm not sure Im quite through yet - but colors do look right. The backlight X is now no longer visible....
Using windows and surfing the net I found the text crystal clear and all images great!
Also looking through photos I found the image to be just as good as my old CRT and even sharper!

GAMING:
After reading many compliants about blacks on LCD's the first game I fired up was Doom3....
It looked MUCH better than my CRT, the blacks we're awesome and I felt that I saw more details that I hadn't seen before. I gamed at 1280 * 1024 High Quality with 4AA for the first two levels and had a blast (of course putting aside Doom's VERY repetetive nature).
This put aside my concern for the X backlight bleed issues I red about this monitor -I experienced NONE in Doom 3. Also reactivity was great, I saw no lag or ghosting of any type in DOOM.
Moving on I fired up CSS, also playing in native resolution 1280*1024 4AA +16AF and everything at its highest setting.
I saw some blurring, no ghosting per se, but there is some blurr and I'm not sure every hard core gamer would settle for it. The images were amazing, colors looked more vibrant and again many more details just "popped out" at me. I did see an issue that was discussed about the 7800 Series that I couldn't see on my previous CRT- texture crawl!
Since I'm using 84.20's at default I have all optimisations on..I promptly went into CP and switched them off, and the issue went away.
Funny I couldn't notice these things on my CRT...
To sum up CSS - looks wonderfull, however I would not recommend this LCD to anyone who is finicky about and blurring, the blurring is very light, but GO SEE an 8ms reponse monitor BEFORE you buy this for CSS. Personally, It'll take me a couple more sessions to get used to it, but it doesn't bother me (not did it degrade my game ... :D ).

Movies:
I tried watching a couply of movies to see what it's like. I fired up Lord of the Rings Return of the King. Images looked crisp, no blur and no problem whatsoever! I watched the meeting with the Dead Kings, amazing!
I will be posting images later on, and I'm very happy with my new LCD thus far, if any issues arise I will alos post back.

Please ignore the camera quality (Canon a520 powershot) and my wobbeling hands...

vp9300094lt.jpg

vp9300042bm.jpg

Too bad you couldn't get the calibration software to work. The default color rendering is a bit off and you see about finding a program to correct it with the color controls on the monitor.

Another thing that really helps with the color and contrast on the VP930b is adjusting the gamma down a few notches. Use your video card control panel to do this. Doing this gets rid of the slightly washed out look of the colors. Believe me when I say it makes a HUGE difference!

One last thing is to do is download ClearType Tuner. This program fine tunes ClearType so you can get the text to the desired sharpness and readability.

ClearType is now on. Gamma reduced to 0.8 and everything is even better!
Thanx!
I also color tuned through the GPU's options...

Thats funny i bought a Princeton 19" model VL1918 from costco and i got it home took it out of box and hooked it up nothing else to configure or calibrate at all. Beautiful picture and the color is outstanding. couldn't ask for more for a $299.99 19" LCD monitor. and yes it is better to turn on clear type. and no software to install at all just plug and play.

DieHard007 said:
Thats funny i bought a Princeton 19" model VL1918 from costco and i got it home took it out of box and hooked it up nothing else to configure or calibrate at all. Beautiful picture and the color is outstanding. couldn't ask for more for a $299.99 19" LCD monitor. and yes it is better to turn on clear type. and no software to install at all just plug and play.

If all you do is game on it then there's really no need to calibrate. For those that do photo and graphics design it's best to get the color near perfect. You can't really tell how bad the color is off by just looking at it. This is why a lot of monitors come with calibration software and have seperate RGB color adjustments.

Small Update:
After using the LCD extensively over the weekend I can't help but notice the "x-Effect" becoming more pronounced, especially in dark games.
I played oblivion on it and the visuals are stunning as long as its daylight, when the night comes you can clearly see the X shaped backlight bleeding through. I have contacted technical support and they want to see it- I will most probably return this monitor and get a 6bit VX922 or VX924. :mad:

altacon,

So you returned your VP930.
Did you bought some other monitor?

JJK said:
altacon,

So you returned your VP930.
Did you bought some other monitor?
Yep I got a VX922, very different category of LCD, but amazing.

How is the 922 different in terms of color, image quality,etc...? I'm curious to see how a 6 bit LCD looks compared to an 8bit one.

Well, the only area I notice any difference is video playback, and then only on highly compressed DIVX stuff. The colors dont blend as smoothly.
Other than that, it feels the same, although theres no "screen door" effect which was also present on the VP930.

Sorta off topic, anyone have a review of the vp920b, Pretty much same thing except for speakers (who cares) with less brightness and a lower contrast ratio but the price difference is rather large.

Congrats on your new monitor dude! I'm waiting on my Viewsonic vp2030b due thursday. The 930 is related, so I am glad to see you like the product.

Nice pics. Man I can't wait.

Back