Question on AMD's warantee policy

synaps3

Gawd
A "friend" of mine said AMD has a warantee on all their processors that allows and "encourages overclocking." I thought this was too good to be true from a processor company, especially because all I ever hear about is BFG doing this, and I have NEVER heard about this from AMD. Anyone know if he is mistaken, and if so, can you provide a link proving yourself?

If he is wrong, I want to shove it in his face. He thinks he is right way too much, and refuses to be wrong.

People who think they are right all the time typically won't listen when they are proven wrong. Just move on and be the bigger man about it.

I can't seem to find info on the warranty anywhere online. Someone's going to have to skim their warranty slip to see what it says. But yea, I agree with Boltaction; don't let your friend's know it all behavior bug you, it's not worth the effort.

This brief article offers some evidence that AMD doesn't really want people to OC. Of course the only real proof will be in analyzing their warranty/return policy which I'm still unable to find online.

Ethical opinions aside, how would they prove if your were overclocking when the CPU died? Last I know, the CPU doesn't contain any fairy dust with the last bios settings, and it would not be economical for AMD to extensively test each CPU that is returned. Also why would the FX series have their multiplier unlocked if overclocking was so frowned upon. I think it is a case where someone puts there fingers in there ears and makes loud noises pretending like they don't know what your doing.

http://139.95.253.213/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=55,E=0000000000255723221,K=8083,Sxi=8,Case=obj(3884)

Quoted from the FX-60 FAQ

AMD Athlon 64 FX processors are designed to be enthusiast-friendly – enabling consumers to discover the true potential of their own personal computer.

Hmmmm. What feature are they talking about that would make it enthusiast-friendly?

I am not argueing the point that AMD frowns upon overclocking in their warranty policy, I am just saying that they want to have their cake and eat it too.

And with processors, if it runs fine the first days, it will surely run fine for a few years. I never heard of a processor fail after the first week due to a defect and all the failure causes is due to the user error.

Overclocking voids the warranty just as using a third party heatsink if you want to get technical. They use overclocking friendly terms and sentences with the FX series, but its still against the warranty policy and they if they WANTED to (which 9.9 out of 10 they dont) and had some type of proof, they could void it based on that fact.

I just spoke with an AMD associate last week about the availability of some cpu's and we got on the subject of overclocking. I was told that overclocking voids the warranty. How they could prove that someone burned up their cpu by overclocking I do not know but the official line is "warranty void if overclocked."
Here is the text of the pamphlet included with my cpu: (pay particular attention to No. 5)
"READ THIS FIRST
IMPORTANT - Prior to installing: To help ensure a posiive experience, continued warranty coverage, and reliable operation, please consider the following points before installing the processor:
1. Record the serial number of your processor on the cover of the Certificate of Authenticity/warranty booklet (included). The serial number is required for any warranty claims. You can find the serial number for your product under the barcode on the attached sticker.
2. Use only the heatsink/fan provided. Use of any other heatsink/fan will void the warranty.
3. Never use the processor without the heatsink/fan installed.
4. Never handle the processor by the pins.
5. Read and follow installation instructions carefully . Incorrect installation may result in overheating or other damage to the processor that will void the warranty.
6. Thermal interface material is required for all AMD processors. Use only the recommended thermal interface material for this processor (see Thermal Cooling Guide on AMD's website for a complete list of approved material for the specific processor you are using).
a. If you remove the heatsink/fan after initial installation, you must first clean the heatsink surface and apply new thermal interface material before reinstalling the heatsink/fan on your processor."

Its the same thing motherboards. Asus states on the box of my K8N4-E Deluxe that it will "challenge your will to overclock" but call them with a question about overclocking and they will tell you "overclocking voids the warranty of the motherboard, therefore if you have questions about overclocking we are afraid we cannot help you." Abit's manual says basically the same thing. If you want to overclock that's fine but just remember - do so at your own risk. I choose to do so :D

Wow, thanks for the quick and helpful response, everyone.

AMD is a great company, but no company supports overclocking under warantee (Other than BFG; but they come at a huge price).

And Mac, thanks also for your info. I was going to buy an aftermarket cooler, but I will just stick with stock now. I ALWAYS keep warantees. After all, who needs overclocking if you run a 3800? :D

NP man, glad to help. It was funny when I was talking to the AMD tech guy and he started telling me the company line that overclocking really doesn't help with performance. I just told him that I knew good and well that by overclocking I had voided my warranty and that I wasn't worried about it in the least (mainly because my cpu is so inexpensive). I just told him "well I figure you guys are like the Doritos people - "crunch all you want - we'll make more!" :p
And as for not helping with performance? Puhleeeze! Going from 2.0 stock to 2.65 makes a big difference - at least to me. And yes, I do have an aftermarket heatsink/fan with either AS5 or AS Ceramique paste. This lowered my temps between 6-10 degrees Celcius which will only promote cpu longevity. I understand AMD's logic - they built (or have them built for them) the heatsink/fans to operate within a certain spec and they can't guarantee that spec with aftermarket parts.

I say if the warranty is important then follow their guidelines. The machine will run well and you'll be happy. If, however, you are a motorhead like me (I own a hopped up 69 Plymouth road runner 383 4-speed) then screw the warranty and lets make some horsepower! :D

synaps3 said:
AMD is a great company, but no company supports overclocking under warantee (Other than BFG; but they come at a huge price).

I thought EVGA does too?

Back