Building a LanLi HTPC

jmroberts70

2[H]4U
Most all items purchased at newegg.com with the exception of the PSU and Lanli card reader I got from frozencpu.com ...

htpc01.jpg

Initial fit check of the mobo in the case. Notice that the PSU actually sits in the front of the case off to the left of the drive bays. Makes for a slightly more narrow profile as a desktop case.

htpc02.jpg

Mount the Zalman heatsink. Simply a wonderful piece of work!

htpc03.jpg

First fire up to make sure everything is workin'

htpc04.jpg

Now starts the cable routing. Here you can see the single flat IDE cable that runs under the mobo along with the PSU AC feed cable that originally ran along the side of the case.

htpc05.jpg

Here's a better shot of the AC cable feeding from under the mobo. You can also see the white clamp on the side of the case where it originally came from. I've also started dressing up the firewire, USB, and misc cables from the front panel here.

htpc06.jpg

PSU now mounted in place. It's a shame few will ever see just how beautiful this little jem is!

htpc07.jpg

Now with most everything installed, you can appreciate working with a modular PSU. No wasted cables anywhere!

htpc08.jpg

Here's where getting good info before making a purchase is so important. I knew it would be tight but I also was pretty sure it would be ok here. I had good dimensions on the heatsink and the case from the start so I could determine if they would fit. No a hair more though!

htpc09.jpg

A nice touch: LanLi case and a LanLi card reader!

htpc10.jpg

A small mod I had to do to get the top cover to fit with the large heatsink. I had to remove the existing case fan that came installed from LanLi that way. I kept the original mesh grill and just replaced the hardware and fan with some flush mounted screws. Simple.

htpc11.jpg

All done. Barely a whisper from the case and it runs like a champ. I've got room to expand to a dual SLI system, multi-core AMD processor, etc without any major work. Overall, I'd say this was one of the more simple jobs I've done. The components were all just fantastic. Total cost to the client was $1300 parts and $100 labor.

Looks pretty good. Does it come with rack-mount hardware?

Are you doing the software for it too? I've been contemplating building an HTPC/media server for some time now, but I've found the software can be daunting depending on what you want to get out of it.

qbackin said:
What is the psu?

Sweet case too.

The Power Supply is an Ultra X-Connect X2 SLI 550W. Here's the link:
http://www.frozencpu.com/psu-182.html

lame said:
Looks pretty good. Does it come with rack-mount hardware?

Are you doing the software for it too? I've been contemplating building an HTPC/media server for some time now, but I've found the software can be daunting depending on what you want to get out of it.

I don't believe this chassis was intended for a rack-mount application. And as far as the software goes, I don't know. I am mainly a hardware guy. I know the user is running a simple installation of XP Home at the moment though. Nothing special. He's planning on mounting it in his entertainment center in the near future and that's the reason for the "desktop" configuration. They main play mp3's and run a MAME emulator for games on their TV.

Back