First 1GB card: ATI FireGL V7350

MiG29TangentBoy

Limp Gawd
Holy crow; the new FireGL card has 1GB of memory. Check out the king of workstations!

http://www.biosmagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=3069

Amazing. I remember when 512MB was unbelievable. I guess years from now, video cards will be computers in their own right, with 4Ghz processors and 2GB of memory. How soon until they require their own separate 400w power supplies? :eek:

actually, you talk hypothetically, but it seems like video games (and high resolution monitors) these days are running almost infront of GPU technology. It would seriously not surprise me to see these manufacturers having to completely switch their philosophy and start including higher levels of memory (2gig+) and even processors on board. i mean, the game engines now use up so much CPU that its inevitable to include it with the card from the manufacturer. How far are we now from needing another power source to run these current mammoth cards. i mean, when I got mine it needed its on power dongle from the PSU of which I didnt have anymore and needed to get a bigger PSU...
the future is not so far away, its just gonna cost us a boat load more money.

I donno but pretty soon there gonna have to find new ways of cooling those badboys... I cannot imagine a 2 GB 1000/2000 card on AC

I think someone needs to refrigerate the whole PC. Not phase, Not watercool, But refrigeration - airtight refrigeration.

Only hardrives and optical drives would need to be modified for this, but as mentioned, cooling is becoming a problem.

What's BS about that is there is no Opteron platform available that can run those in Crossfire mode. Which would be the target market of such types of setups.

And why do you say that?

Any RD580 will do. Or are you talking about for the 2xx and 8xx series?

BBA said:
And why do you say that?

Any RD580 will do. Or are you talking about for the 2xx and 8xx series?
Yeah, I'm sure the thought process here was for multiple socket platforms. ;)

Back