$350+/month power bill = less folding

neisius

Gawd
I don't feel like getting kicked out of my dad's house so no more 24/7 folding for me. Looks like I wont be making it to the top 200 anytime soon :(

Make sure you guys fold extra hard to make up the 500ppd lost

both of you need to shut up. My roommate gets wind of being able to drop the power bill by turning off comps and well i don't want to kill again

Duster said:
both of you need to shut up. My roommate gets wind of being able to drop the power bill by turning off comps and well i don't want to kill again

If you want, I'll help. Your roommate sounds like a douche from what you described anyway. It would be especially easy to get away with it if you could lure him to Osage county here in Misery. The cops are lazy so it's about the best place around to take care of some business.

KodiakStar said:
It pays to live at a place where utils are included in the rent. :)

the only place that does that around here are dorms and those apartments with 4 people and you don't really get to choose your other roommates kind of place were everyone has a dif lease. but you only get so much free power a month there if you go over you pay

neisius said:
Make sure you guys fold extra hard to make up the 500ppd lost

How many machines are you shutting down? 500 ppd dosent take a lot. It doesent seem like an extra PC is your electrical problem.

Actually the amount of hardware for 500ppd can be quite extensive anymore. I've got 5 CPU's going full tilt, all the time, and I am hovering just above that. Then if you factor in crappers and such, it could be quite a few. :(

Ship them down to me, my hydro bill is $50 a month and i have most lights on, 2 stereo's 2 computers, laptop, dishwasher, drier , tv, everything going daily when i am home.

:D

p[H]ant0m said:
Actually the amount of hardware for 500ppd can be quite extensive anymore. I've got 5 CPU's going full tilt, all the time, and I am hovering just above that. Then if you factor in crappers and such, it could be quite a few. :(

Sounds like someone needs to upgrade to some dual core machines! :p :D

Yeah, I had to shutdown my Pentium3 750 and 800 to help reduce my power bill. :( I still have my powerful folders running, though:

Opteron 144 @ 2.9GHz 1.35v (for now, 27C load is sexy)
2x AthlonMP 2200+
AthlonXP 2400+
Pentium4 3GHz
Pentium4 3.2GHz

Plus, I have a good handful of borgs, including two Athlon64 X2's both dual folding, one at 2.4GHz and one at 2.85GHz, an AthlonXP 2700+, a handful of Pentium2s and 3s, and others I can't even keep track of. Even with all that, I took a PPD nosedive the past two weeks, and I can't even hold 2,000PPD compared to tbe almost 3K I had before.

Also, I've started using the sleep feature on my TV, as well as leaving no lights on when leaving or when sleeping....being alot more stingey about my power. $140 power bills are entirely too much when my average power bill was around $60. I simply can't afford it.

Run a power cord from an outside jack at your neighbors house :D

j/k

Spectre said:
Run a power cord from an outside jack at your neighbors house :D

seriously :D

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

H'mm there is a concept, make sure you bury the line and make it waterproof. At the box rig the line to your house, free power at your neighbors expense.

And make sure you do it at night while they are in bed. Not like I would do something like that/ Whistles innocently away

upriverpaddler said:
How many machines are you shutting down? 500 ppd dosent take a lot. It doesent seem like an extra PC is your electrical problem.
I think I was at about 900ppd with good WUs coming in but that doesn't happen alot.

Dualcore AMD @ 2.5ghz
AMD @ 2.2ghz
AMD @ 1.8ghz
Xbox @ 733mhz(still running 24/7)

The problem is there are like 4 other computers in the house and a minifridge in my room. With everything on we are really close to maxing out the circuit :eek:

I still complain about my power bills, and they haven't busted $100 for a month yet this winter. I've only got 2 machines at home folding, an [email protected], and a Pentium m 1.86GHz on my laptop. I might be shutting down the desktop this spring when I start running the a/c again.

We had a 'cold' snap here in Houston this week so I'm hoping I don't have to kick the a/c on until April. I did turn it one for one day last week when the temp was in the mid 80s outside. Last year I was able to hold out until almost May.

I know what you mean... Power bill is getting a bit excessive 'round here. May have to shut off a box or two, but if so, they will go to good cause ;)

neisius said:

That's a little low. I think it should be closer to 35PPD. My PIII 600 does about 30 PPD, sometimes even up to 32PPD. My PIII 800 does about 40PPD, although it will go up to 42PPD.

SmokeRngs said:
That's a little low. I think it should be closer to 35PPD. My PIII 600 does about 30 PPD, sometimes even up to 32PPD. My PIII 800 does about 40PPD, although it will go up to 42PPD.
That's what the ~ means. It's only a celeron with 128mb of ram and runs a loopback to the swapfile(I think that's what it's called, need to work with linux more) that slows things down. I mean it's crazy I can even get linux to run on an old game system.

This is why I always say, the cheapest folder is a borg! It just takes a little explaining to the techy at school/work and you have yourself a free source of computing power. I have 60 CPUs at my school which are on for the better part of the day, and are powered by nothing else but tax dollars (public highschool). :p

I have 3 boxes at home, that fold when they're in use, they aren't left on usually though. I did leave them (and my laptop, so 4 boxes), on alot though when we were in the midst of taking the ducky back from the aussies, power bill jumped from around 75 bucks to about $160.. But we have the ducky now, so it was well worth it.

Remember, the cheapest folder is a borged box. :cool:

kaleb_zero said:
This is why I always say, the cheapest folder is a borg! It just takes a little explaining to the techy at school/work and you have yourself a free source of computing power. I have 60 CPUs at my school which are on for the better part of the day, and are powered by nothing else but tax dollars (public highschool). :p
The thing that sucks is that in highschool I was one of the techs. We had full run of the place and the only thing we did was play CS :(

Back