The Physics Processing Poll

Physics Poll

• I will purchase Ageia’s PPU as soon as it is released

Votes: 37 6.4%
  • I will purchase Ageia’s PPU sometime in 2006 but not right away

Votes: 73 12.7%
  • I will purchase a dedicated PPU sometime in 2007 or onward

Votes: 67 11.7%
  • I will only purchase Ageia’s PPU when I see a game I really want that uses the PPU

Votes: 286 49.8%
  • I will not purchase Ageia’s PPU

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • I would prefer to use my already existing single GPU to aid with physics

Votes: 25 4.4%
  • I would prefer to add a cheaper GPU (say X1300) to accelerate physics

Votes: 34 5.9%
  • I would prefer to have SLI or CF and use one GPU for physics and the other for 3D

Votes: 20 3.5%
  • I am not interested in Physics acceleration in games at all

Votes: 16 2.8%

• Total voters
I picked: I will only purchase Ageia’s PPU when I see a game I really want that uses the PPU

But there's also a clause; I won't spend a rediculous amount of money on it. :p

I voted Option 4. I think im going to wait this one out, at least until there are some big games that utilize the PPU

I think most enthusiasts will feel the same way: more physics is awesome, and as soon as games come out that take advantage of it, we'll be happy to throw down some coin for better visuals...

It would be awesome if when upgrading to a new GPU you could simply use your old video card as a dedicated PPU. Makes so much more economical sense, Nvidia and ATI would definately be able to corner the market, and at least your old card which cost 500 when first purchased wont be completely useless and redundant

I would rather wait it out and see what sort of physics stuff ATI or nVidia put into their next generation cards, if I can buy one good video card that will also do the physics then that would definately be my choice over having to buy a seperate card (presumming the price is not too high)

defiant007 said:
It would be awesome if when upgrading to a new GPU you could simply use your old video card as a dedicated PPU. Makes so much more economical sense, Nvidia and ATI would definately be able to corner the market, and at least your old card which cost 500 when first purchased wont be completely useless and redundant

That is possible with ATI and the X1K series. You don't have to CrossFire cards to use one for physics and the other for 3D. You can have for example an X1900 XTX for 3D and use an X1300 for physics, no dongle, all communication is handled over the PCIe bus.

Brent_Justice said:
That is possible with ATI and the X1K series. You don't have to CrossFire cards to use one for physics and the other for 3D. You can have for example an X1900 XTX for 3D and use an X1300 for physics, no dongle, all communication is handled over the PCIe bus.

Hopefully nvidia will jump on that bandwagon, but at the moment it looks they are using it to push sli/quad sli which is really disappointing for people who dont feel it necessary to spend 1000+ on video cards that become redundant in less than a year

Brent_Justice said:
I wish nvidia would jump on board with that. :(

I voted "I would prefer to add a cheaper GPU (say X1300) to accelerate physics" but I would prefer to have an even cheaper option, like an NV44 to process physics.

I also chose that I would only buy if theres a game I really want. But I still feel like a chump because currently that would mean paying $300 or more to play one game.

I will wait for the games though sometimes I can be an early adopter. But here I also want to wait for a pci-e one. That's for sure. Everything is still pci but they've gone and yanked our slots and put a bunch of useless plastic in it's space instead. I feel like I got a freaking shuttle or something. Sound card, network adapter... that's it. No soup for me. No room for physics, TV tuners... I'm full. GEIGH!

It's probably one of the biggest letdowns currently I think. They shuffled us on to the pci-e bus ASAP and card makers delivered nothing. I don't give a junk if it's some kind of bridged solution at this point. Still no sharing the bus with other devices. My tower's g-normous but alas... no slots to put shit in. Thanks for reminding me Brent! lol... didn't realize i was this bitter on this issue until I started writing.

Brent_Justice said:

As long as ATI doesn't require their chipset to do this I'm all over it, my nForce4 board still has a lot of life left!

Brent_Justice said:

Will this be possible with the Nvidia cards so i could use my 7800 for this when I get a new card

I voted for "I will only purchase Ageia’s PPU when I see a game I really want that uses the PPU", and I'd like to add "and then only as a part of a new system based on next-gen CPU, GPU and OS technology"

As with a number of other things, it's all about the games...

so i voted the option that I'll wait until there's actually a game I want.. or something along those lines...

Thanks guys!

There wasn't an option that said exactly what I was going to do...so I picked "I will only purchase Ageia’s PPU when I see a game I really want that uses the PPU"

Really it is more like once I get settled down after I move, and get some money flowing in...then I will get it. :)

I'll get one if there is a game I'm extremely interested in that can be enhanced by the PPU. A BF style game with enhanced physics? I'M THERE! :D

I have SLI. I curious as to how much my graphics will suffer when 1 of my cards has to do the physics???
It looks like Havok has more good developers and if they adopt Havok FX well then its gonna be Beta vs VHS all over again.
There's just something about using what you already have that sound better than another brick in the wall.
Plus Im like alot of others, soon we're going to run out of space on the MB.

I'm really in the minority looking at the poll results :eek:

=Vector= said:
Unreal Tournament 2007 anyone? :D
That is why i voted that I will buy one sometime in 2006 is becuase of UT2007. Upgrade from my 6800GT, get an Ageia card and let the carnage begin.

You missed one big options, I will purchase either a PPU only if there is too large of a performance hit with graphics cards. Or if the ppu is much faster than the graphics card acceleration.

i originally chose the sli option but i think that if they do get a pcie1x solution and get the price under $200, I'm all for one.

=Vector= said:
Unreal Tournament 2007 anyone? :D

That's where it's at for me - when UT2k7 hits it will be using the PhysX engine, and whatever I'll have to buy to use it I'll buy.

I will only purchase the ppu if it supports games I like. Also I will wait for it to come down in price, Iam not going to spend 200-250 on a ppu when I could get other stuff that would make a bigger difference for my rig. The only way I would consider it would be if it was 100 or less.

i would venture to say i'd only buy it when a game that will utilize it comes out, how ever i would rather get any tangible benefits from an extra video card (the one you listed, X1300) because i love dual monitoring and having the extra usability from a card that i would normally be using for 2x monitors in games would be such a great purchase for me

I like the idea of a simple PCI card upgrade for physics processing, since I don't have an SLI motherboard and I am quite frankly not interested in SLI at all, the other solutions from ATi and nVidia really don't seem plausible, if however they released something in PCI I might consider going for something ATi or nVidia as long as they are all supported (a la DX9)

Ill get one as soon as its available because Ghost recon supports it and I have been waiting a long time for a new version of GR. Woohoo New Ghost Recon with physics to, wooty woot. :D :p

I'm still using a Radeon 9800 and DDR 333 RAM. In other words, I haven't the money to buy a PPU. But, if I did I would probably still wait until I saw what the game support looks like, and how noticeable the difference is. UT 2007 is a good start, but UT 2004 currently supports those iFeel mice too - anyone remember those? I think if there's a good API (kinda like DirectX or OpenGL), PPUs will be much more likely to take off. While it's nice that Ageia is handing out their own development kit, I'd be willing to bet it's not exactly manufacturer-neutral.

One other thing, as well. If I absolutely have to go out and choose a PPU solution, I want a discreet card. I suppose it can be a low end GPU, but I'm still not convinced they provide the same advantages as a real PPU. In any case, I'm probably more likely to want to replace the GPU than the PPU. I'd really hate to have to toss a perfectly good card just because I'm upgrading. It already absolutely infuriates me that we've crammed every possible feature onto a motherboard. Like one of the posters above, I'm still waiting for something that can use all that PCIe bandwidth. Which is once reason I haven't seen it as worth my money to upgrade my AGP/PCI system yet.

I would really prefer to use a dedicated physics card or an old graphics card. I don’t want physics processing mooching off my primary card… even if I have an SLI setup.
Plus, as some other folks mentioned, this is another card I can OC and water cool!

Either way though, I will wait until games support it AND it results is a significant enhancement of the game play experience.

bah... maybe i'll get one when Elder Scrolls V comes out :eek:

provided they choose physX over havok for the next generation

I meant to his the one that sees acceleration in games but i missed :(. I put later this year if and only if i see benefits from it. If i dont well then im saving my money for SLI, or another HDD or RAM or something useful. Aegia kept putting this off and delaying it..it better be damn well worth it or well..:/

Like i stated on the forums a few times, I might buy a PPU only when a game I really want to play use it. And probably not just 1 game but a pretty good list of supported games.

I didn't vote, because there was no option for " Too early to make a decision" :)

Winchester1897 said:
I will only purchase the ppu if it supports games I like. Also I will wait for it to come down in price, Iam not going to spend 200-250 on a ppu when I could get other stuff that would make a bigger difference for my rig. The only way I would consider it would be if it was 100 or less.

I'm with him....

I just posted this on another forum earlier this afternoon. Instead of Ageia or PhysX replace it with PPU accelerator.

Here is the question I've always had with the PhysX card... Will a player be limited to this in SP only? If I were playing MP and not everyone had one of these it could seriously affect online gaming. What if I have one and start blasting a fence down, and the guy next to me doesn't, what is the differences in the way it's rendering? Also with the PhysX card you could have a lot denser folliage. What if I have a PhysX card and the other guy doesn't? Does that mean it's harder for me to spot him because I can crank up the settings and have a harder time seeing him? Does he have an easier time because there is less folliage on his/her screen? If this card is for SP portions of games I'll be content with that. But there are some serious concerns I have with this card and the MP side of gaming.

Btw, I don't see myself buying one of these unless it's in the $100 price range. I also read somewhere, can't remember the source, that Ageia plans on having 6 month product cylces. So what are we supposed to plop down $300 every 6 months or so we can have better physics. What exactly is the change between the $400 card and $300 card? Can one do 20 simultaneous physics while the $300 card can only do 15?

This is definately one of those products I won't buy until I know for a fact they have ironed out the kinks, and I suggest everyone else doing the same.

Once there's a game that I REALLY want that can take full advantage of a physics accelerator, I will buy one. I certainly hope the PhysX isn't one of those things that looks great at the time, but in hindsight was a stupid idea, but it could still happen.

Back