Physics Processing FAQ

HOCP4ME

2[H]4U
Q: What is it?
A: The PPU, also called PhysX, is an add-in card developed by a company called AGEIA and soon to be manufactured by BFG. It allows more realistic games by performing advanced physics calculations in real-time.

Q: PPU, GPU, CPU? Me confused!
A: In keeping with the rhyming theme:
A PPU does physics, object's motions and paths
A CPU does logistics, locomotion, and math
A GPU does polygons, and everything you see
And I speak to you in hopes of clearing up the mystery!

Q: Exactly what enhancments will I see in future games if I have one of these cards?
A: There are several advantages. The first is more active bodies - movable, deformable objects in the game. Whereas a CPU can only do about 500 of these, a PPU can do thousands. More active bodies means more shrapnel in explosions, a destructable environment. The second stage of development, which we most likely will not see until the next generation of PPUs, is advanced physics calculations such as velocity, force, and stopping power. For example, with a second-gen PPU in your system and a game that supports it, a bullet could be shot through a wall. Depending on the material and thickness of the wall, mass and speed of the bullet, and distance to the player behind the wall whom the bullet will hit, the PPU will decide whether the bullet will have enough force left to either A. Inflict a superficial wound and stun the player for a few seconds, B. Cause damage to the player, or C. Kill the player.

Q: Wow! That sounds awesome, when will we see games like this?
A: Not anytime soon. Games with that sort of detailed physics would require a PPU to play. Therefore developers will not create games like that until the PPU becomes popular enough that the game creator can assume most gamers will have one. The first games will be PPU-optional and will only increase the amount of acitve bodies.

Q: So what's this thing look like in action?
A: Here are some demo videos of the PPU: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1034714

Q: When can I buy this card?
A: It is already being sold with OEM systems from builders such as Dell and Alienware. It will be released as a standalone card sometime in May and will be manufactured by BFG.

Q: How much will it cost?
A: Around $250 - $300 for the first version.

Q: That's expensive, do I really have to buy one?
A: No, not yet. The first games created for it will most likely simply use the GPU for physics processing if your system doesn't have a PPU (something I will explain below). Eventually, however, games will begin to put a PPU in the system requirements, and then you will have to buy one. Hopefully prices will be lower by then.

Q: Can't you just use a dual-core CPU to do physics?
A: No. A dual-core CPU will could maybe do 500 more objects. This is nothing compared to the 5000 or so of the PPU.

Q: What about this NVIDIA/Havok physics thing I keep hearing about?
A: NVIDIA has partnered with the makers of the Havok engine to allow for physics processing to be done on the GPU. This will provide roughly the same benefit of a PPU, but at the disadvantage of less graphics performance, and the physics will only be visual and won't affect the environment. With this, someone who doesn't want to buy a PPU but is willing to sacrifice some GPU performance can still play physics-enabled games. ATI may also be offering the same thing on their future GPUs.

Q: Could I utillize the second GPU in an SLI setup to do physics processing?
A: Yes, but keep in mind that if you dedicate 1 GPU in an SLI setup to physics, you will only have 1 GPU doing the actual graphics. If you already have SLI, it would be a good idea to dedicate one of them to phyics if you wanted to play physics-enabled games but didn't want to buy a PPU. If you don't have SLI, however, it would be cheaper to buy a PPU than to buy a second GPU for physics.

Q: Can I put my old 6800 alongside my shiny new 7900GTX and have it do physics?
A: That would be a great thing to have and would probably be used by many people, so I would hope NVIDIA will allow this. We won't be sure, however, until NVIDIA or ATI officially release drivers that support GPU physics processing.
UPDATE: jebo_4jc has informed me that ATI has said that it will allow R520 cards to do physics alongside R580 cards. NVIDIA, however, will require identical cards in SLI.

Q: What does it look like when I use a GPU to do physics processing?
A: Mostly the same as the PPU, although it's only visual and can't affect the environment, like a soldier getting hit by shrapnel, for example. Here are some demo videos from NVIDIA and ATI: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1034977

Q: If I buy a game designed for use with a PPU, can I use a second GPU to do the physics processing?
A: Most likely not. However, a game could in theory have the option using multiple physics API's, so it is possible.

Q: Will Ageia's PPU be able to handle game-play physics (physics that affect the environment) as well as effects physics (physics that only add more particles to the visual part of the game)?
A: Yes, although the first games released using Ageia's PhysX will likely use the PPU just for effects physics. This will allow games to run on systems without a PPU, minus the PPU-enhanced effects. Games that require a PPU to play are still in early developement. To see a demo of a game that will use Ageia's PPU to accelerate both effects and gameplay physics, have a look at Cell Factor.

Q: Will a GPU physics solution be able to do both gameplay and effects physics?
A: No, this is a common misconception. A GPU can only do effects physics, meaning that it will not affect the environment with things like flying shrapnel. You will see the shrapnel, but it won't be able to hit players, go through wall, deform the terrain...etc.

Q: If I buy a PPU in May, will it make my games any different?
A: No. Games have to be specially programmed to take advantage of the PPU. Only a small handful of these exist now, and they don't use it to it's full potential. A list of these can be found at the "list of titles" below. Some developers, however, may choose to release a patch for their current games which would allow them to take advantage of the PPU.

Q: Can it be overclocked?
A: We don't know for sure yet, but there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to overclock it. However, in the beginning there won't be any reason to overclock it, becuase games won't take full advantage of it at first.

Q: What will the PPU market turn out to be like?
A: It's anyone's guess. It could become like the video card market, with good/better/best models available, and games would have "physics options" that could be turned down to alliow someone with an older PPU to play the game. Or, it could end up like the sound card market. Necessary for gaming, but not much to it rather than buy the card and you're good. Only time will tell how essential this card will become to gamers.

Q: If AGEIA is the only one developing a PPU, won't that mean prices will go up because of no competition?
A: No, because AGEIA is competing with NVIDIA and Havok, who are trying to push physics processing on the GPU. Because the PPU seems right now to have more potential for sucess, it will probably end up coming out on top. In that case, NVIDIA and ATI may try putting PPUs on their graphics cards, or developing a PPU of their own. If this happens, Microsoft will almost certainly be the one to step in and create a standard for physics processing, kind of like DirectX for graphics. With a standard to follow, the doors will be open for multiple companies to begin cometing in the PPU market.

Q: Will any game using the AGEIA PhysX Engine be able to take advantage of the PPU?
A: Only games using version 2.3 of the PhysX engine or newer will work with the PPU. 2.4 is the current version. Games such as “Bet on Solder” which uses version 2.2 will receive a patch soon, others may follow.

Q: Are we going to have physics technologies from different companies that aren't compatible with each other?
A: Don't worry, Microsoft (who else?) is stepping in to create a common physics API, much like they've done with DirectX (and Windows, MS Office, Visual Basic, and speech recognition). This will prevent the terrible situation of having some games work with one prodcut and other games work with another.

Q: I see that 3dmark06 has the AGEIA logo on it; will a PPU increase my score?
A: At the moment it will make no difference. This could be because it uses a version of the engine older than 2.3 (files in the directory have version numbers removed…) or perhaps it is set to only use the CPU since they are “CPU tests”.

Q: Where can I get more information?
A: Here: www.ageia.com You can also find demo videos here showing what the PPU can do.

Q: What games will use it?
A: You can find a list here .

Q: Will [insert numberic prefix here]-core kill the PPU?
A: No, CPU cores are not as powerful as the PPU. It's possible that we may end up using excess cores for physics, but unlikely it will ever match the PPU's performance.

Q: Will [insert person's name who you want to make fun of here] kill the PPU?
A: Depends on the person.

Q: Will [insert competing company name here] kill the PPU?
A: That we won't know for sure until the format war is over. Right now, there's no clear winner for physics.

Q: Will [insert some other thing here] kill the___
A: click click click BANG!!!

Someone requested a PPU FAQ so I made one. Anyone with anything else to add or if you find an error in my post please post it. It may seem out of order now, but I will sort it out after everyone is done adding to it.

Credits:
pj-schmidt
GotNoRice
Low Roller
jebo_4jc
Terra
Me (HOCP4ME)

I'll sticky it, you can expand it to include other forms of physics acceleration as well, such as the GPU, if you want to add links to download some demonstration videos from ATI, NV and Ageia that would be good as well. Keep it updated.

Thanks for the sticky, and I put more info about GPU physics. I also linked to the topics with the videos.

Oh, and I also cleared up any GPU/PPU/CPU confusion with a little poem.

Here's some more stuff to consider:

Q: Will a PPU make my video card faster?
A: No. If you video card is having a hard time rendering 500 objects now, then it will only get worse as if you try to render the 1000's of objects possible with a PPU. The only possible exception to this would be where your GPU is CPU limited and the PPU reduces the work on the CPU so that it can more efficiently 'feed' the GPU.

Q: Why is it that the GPU accelerated Havoc FX physics requires nVidia SLI or a single Card?
A: The two video cards are required to be in SLI mode because the physics effects are computed and rendered directly to the screen. This requires a direct connection between the two cards so that the one acting as a PPU can tell the one that is actually rendering what to draw. On a single video card, some operations are performed to do physics while the rest of the prossesing power is used to render. Unless this direct communication requirement changes, using an old GPU for physics will not be possible.

Q: Is Havoc FX a replacment for Havoc's standard physics engine?
A: No. Havoc FX is an addition to Havoc's standerd physics engine, both would be used together. Havoc FX allows for the GPU acceleration of a few types if visual effects, but will not be able to do many other types of physics acceleration due to its limited ablilty to send information back to the CPU. Havoc's standard physics engine will still be running off of the CPU even with the addition of Havoc FX's ability to some acceleration on a GPU. This means you could loose GPU power to some physics calculations while other physics processing will still be done on the CPU.

Q: If my $500 video card uses a PCIe x16 slot and the PPU uses a PCI slot, why then can my video card only render ~1000 objects while the PPU can track over 5000?
A: This initially seems odd as the PCI bus can only move data at 132MB/s while the PCIe x16 can do 4000MB/s (theoretical numbers). First, the PPU doesn't have to deal with textures wich is a huge part of a video cards bandwith. Secondly, the physics model of an object may be very different than the visual model that you see. A car might look like a very complicated shape on the screen, but the collision detection might be done with a simple box. A ball like object might require hundreds of polygons to render correctly, but can be described by a simple centerpoint and a radius for pyhsics calculations. Thirdly, the PPU would only need to send out data for the objects that are moving or interacting at any one point in time (so of the 5000 objects that the PPU is tracking, only 100 of them might need their positions to be updated at any one time).

Hope these are useful. Feel free to add them to the top list if you want to. Later.

~ PJ

Let's keep this thread to developing the FAQ. Once we get a comprehensive list of Q&A, a new thread will be started, the mods will lock it and maintain it.

Here are two that i get asked a lot. Add them if you wish.

Q: Will any game using the AGEIA PhysX Engine be able to take advantage of the PPU?
A: Only games using version 2.3 of the PhysX engine or newer will work with the PPU. 2.4 is the current version. Games such as “Bet on Solder” which uses version 2.2 will receive a patch soon, others may follow.

Q: I see that 3dmark06 has the AGEIA logo on it; will a PPU increase my score?
A: At the moment it will make no difference. This could be because it uses a version of the engine older than 2.3 (files in the directory have version numbers removed…) or perhaps it is set to only use the CPU since they are “CPU tests”.

Good FAQ. Thanks for the effort everybody. Here's a tidbit to add though:

ATi has said that one can mix and match R520 and R580 GPUs to enable physics processing. So your "old" X1800 can run physics while your new x1900 does video. nVidia apparently can only run in SLI mode, which means one needs two identical video cards.
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1414

Q: Will my second GPU be able to accelerate physics calculations in games designed to use Ageia's PPU?

A: Most likely not. However, a game could in theory have the option using multiple physics API's, so it is possible.

This is taken right from the Havok FX website:
Q: What Is The Difference Between Game-Play Physics And Effects physics?

A: Game-Play Physics affect how a game is played from moment-to-moment, and is generally computed on a computer’s central processing unit (CPU). Physical changes that you cause in the game or that happen to you or around you– like knocking over a box, and then climbing up on it - change what you may want to do in each instant of game play. Both game-play physics and game logic demand instant access and tolerate no detectible latency to preserve the game-play experience. The close proximity between physics, game logic, and memory, defines game play and generally demands that these systems execute together on a game system’s CPU. Effects physics is an emerging domain that promises to deliver an increasing array of visually impressive effects that are based on physical principles – but which place far fewer demands on the game’s logic.

Effects physics – a close cousin to visual effects now computed on GPUs – add to the visual complexity of a game and help increase a player’s immersive experience. As visual phenomena, effects physics need to be convincingly real but do not profoundly affect game play. They can merely fill in the player’s view of the game, creating a richer, more convincing environment- but may not affect the choices a player can make from moment-to-moment.
Q: Will Ageia's PPU be able to handle game-play physics as well as effects physics?

A: Yes, although the first games released using Ageia's PhysX will likely use the PPU just for effects physics. This will allow games to run on systems without a PPU, minus the PPU-enhanced effects. Games that require a PPU to play are still in early developement. To see a demo of a game that will use Ageia's PPU to accelerate both effects and gameplay physics, have a look at Cell Factor.

Low Roller said:
This is taken right from the Havok FX website:Q: Will Ageia's PPU be able to handle game-play physics as well as effects physics?

This needs to be emphazied:
Q: Can the soluttion ATI/NVIDIA/Havock offers accelerete game-play physics?

A: NO, they can only do effects physics, real physics still have to be calcutated on the CPU.

It's like comparing oranges to apples to compare AGEIA soulution to the wannabe-solution offered by ATI/NVIDIA/Havock...
Ones does it ALL: Game-play and effect physics.
One can only do one: Effect physics.

Terracide - When I read the PPU-subforum a lt of people sadly think that their GPU's will give them real physics...sad :(

Here's an interesting fact: nVidia is getting all the credit for making an alliance with Havok to accelerate Havok's physics. Well the kicker is, all that is needed is a SM3.0 capable GPU. Therefore, ATi's cards will accelerate physics also. article

yea dude, that was atis whole point, they want you to use two cards in sli, one for physics, they said there cards can do something like 80% the current ammount of calculations compared to the BFG $300 something or other from ageia. this is firingsquads artical. but i spose eventually these things are gonna want another PCI-e 16x slot huh. although maybe we will have to go through somehting like APP (agp cept for ppu) lol.

anywho physics, hope it becomes as wide spread as offboard gpus, and perhalps a cheap decent onboard (part of Nforce/SIS/w/e chipset) physics processing.

anywho the whole recent advancement of physics = uber cool, but I suspect it wont really be widespread for at least a few years >.<

Terra said:
This needs to be emphazied:
Q: Can the soluttion ATI/NVIDIA/Havock offers accelerete game-play physics?

A: NO, they can only do effects physics, real physics still have to be calcutated on the CPU.

It's like comparing oranges to apples to compare AGEIA soulution to the wannabe-solution offered by ATI/NVIDIA/Havock...
Ones does it ALL: Game-play and effect physics.
One can only do one: Effect physics.

Terracide - When I read the PPU-subforum a lt of people sadly think that their GPU's will give them real physics...sad :(

Ok so in a game that only uses the Havok physics stuff can I use two cards in SLI or Cross Fire for that while I have the Ageia card installed in my computer?

Basically will having the Ageia card in my PC cause Havok stuff not to work?
Can the Ageia card be disabled in the device manager if needed?

mentok1982 said:
Ok so in a game that only uses the Havok physics stuff can I use two cards in SLI or Cross Fire for that while I have the Ageia card installed in my computer?

Basically will having the Ageia card in my PC cause Havok stuff not to work?
Can the Ageia card be disabled in the device manager if needed?
Right now having a PhysX card won't affect Havok at all. Havok right now is strictly CPU dependent. a PhysX card would have the same effect as adding a new NIC, none at all. Same goes for Havok FX, the only thing that would effect it is changing the graphics card.

out of all the information I've read I can't find my answer:

Q: if my PCI express vid card is taking up that one slot in my mobo, what slot does the PhysX use? is it going to be an AGP slot or a PCI expressx16 slot?
If it is, then that means that most of us with a regular PCI express mobo are going to have to upgrade and get a double PCI expressx16 slot mobo in order to have both the GPU and the PPU....right???

BlackDragon323 said:
out of all the information I've read I can't find my answer:

Q: if my PCI express vid card is taking up that one slot in my mobo, what slot does the PhysX use? is it going to be an AGP slot or a PCI expressx16 slot?
If it is, then that means that most of us with a regular PCI express mobo are going to have to upgrade and get a double PCI expressx16 slot mobo in order to have both the GPU and the PPU....right???
PhysX is vanilla PCI.

Currently it is strictly PCI, they have plans to release a PCI-Express (I believe 4x) before the end of the year.

thanks for the answers!

I think I'll wait till UT2007 hits before I invest in one.
(not to mention a new vid card! sheesh!)

Q: Is the Aegia PhysX card the only PPU? Are there plans for others to make a PPU? How will games support different kinds of PPUs compared to supporting different kinds of video cards?

Seems most questions are related to client side..... I'm wondering how well can a PPU be used on the server side? Say MMORPG, or MMOFPS where more complex gameplay can be implemented with say.... server side collision detection etc?

Exception said:
Seems most questions are related to client side..... I'm wondering how well can a PPU be used on the server side? Say MMORPG, or MMOFPS where more complex gameplay can be implemented with say.... server side collision detection etc?

There's a lot of conjecture about that:

Assume 2 cases - everyone has a PPU, and no-one has a PPU.

Everyone has a PPU
The server may/may not need a PPU as all the systems will be using the same environment variables and hence the outcomes of interactions will be calculated identically on all systems present. Barring lag, as these calculations are very time sensitive. ;)
This case would not seem to require much additional bandwidth over a standard multiplayer game, however there are intricacies that could be discarded in other games (wall-bullet collisions etc.) without detrimental effect that could destroy the play experience in such a game.

No-one has a PPU
The server could have a PPU and essentially function as the co-ordinator for physics-based interaction: e.g. the server tells the client what collisions are happening when and the client approximates these by using CPU based calculations, obviously the server would decide what outcomes occure as the result of interactions, similarly to how servers calculate "hits" with games such as CS. This is only a possibility, and bandwidth is a serious problem with this implementation.

A hybrid situation could be employed if all clients were equipped with PPU's.

As for some with/some without - who can tell? :p

MrNasty said:
There's a lot of conjecture about that:

Assume 2 cases - everyone has a PPU, and no-one has a PPU.

Everyone has a PPU
The server may/may not need a PPU as all the systems will be using the same environment variables and hence the outcomes of interactions will be calculated identically on all systems present. Barring lag, as these calculations are very time sensitive. ;)
This case would not seem to require much additional bandwidth over a standard multiplayer game, however there are intricacies that could be discarded in other games (wall-bullet collisions etc.) without detrimental effect that could destroy the play experience in such a game.

No-one has a PPU
The server could have a PPU and essentially function as the co-ordinator for physics-based interaction: e.g. the server tells the client what collisions are happening when and the client approximates these by using CPU based calculations, obviously the server would decide what outcomes occure as the result of interactions, similarly to how servers calculate "hits" with games such as CS. This is only a possibility, and bandwidth is a serious problem with this implementation.

A hybrid situation could be employed if all clients were equipped with PPU's.

As for some with/some without - who can tell? :p

I think it would have to be up to the game to decide, depending on the physics-powered interactions, whether each physics render would be individual to each client or uniform across all clients.

For example, when something explodes, would the shrapnel ejection pattern (fancy madeup term for the way the pieces explode) be the same across all clients or individually different (although similar as they use the same laws of physics)?

Ideally they'd be the same across all clients if you wanted an extreme amount of accuracy -- which would be needed if say, you had a game so detailed as to incur damage by getting hit by one of these shrapnel pieces. If all physics processing is merely cosmetic however, it wouldn't hurt to have users individually power their physics with their own PPU.

I think it will be ok in a multiplayer sense.

If a grenade on the ground explodes with force X, and there are Y boxes in proximity in positions Z and orientation A. These initial parameters, and maybe a couple of others, should be enough so that every client calculates the reaction EXACTLY the same.

The PPU is a math processor. You give it the same input and the output will be the same.

2+2 on my computer is th esame as 2+2 on yours or anyone elses computer.

The network bandwidth shouldn't have to track all of those objects at they are moving. I think Carmack went into a discussion one time about how they did this with their grenade launcher in multiplayer. All that is transmitted to the various client and server is the location of the player and the trajectory of the grenade.

Who wants to volunteer to take the info in this thread and put together an official FAQ? This thread is getting cluttered. Just PM me and we can get this rolling.

Thanks,
Moose :)

AtomicMoose said:
Who wants to volunteer to take the info in this thread and put together an official FAQ? This thread is getting cluttered. Just PM me and we can get this rolling.

Thanks,
Moose :)
I tried to put something together here.

Please post your comments here.

Thanks.

Back