CONROE ON INTEL 975x!! ooo_000!!!

It would be absurd for Intel not supporting Conroe on i975X, I am just sick of having to swap the motherboard for a new processor. P4 Cedar Mill aren't supported on i925X / XE even if it is LGA775 based :rolleyes:

Para

Thats why I waited for 975. I had heard back in Dec. that it was supposed to.

I'm hoping it will, but not holding my breath.

read the last row of their chart, it clearly says future conroe support for the i975x, r u blind???

-=ABUSIVE-69=- said:
read the last row of their chart, it clearly says future conroe support for the i975x, r u blind???

" Finally, to help you think through your upgrade path for CPUs and motherboards, we put together the table below:"

"We" is ExtremeTech, not Intel.
This isn't at all an official confirmation. It's the opposite, actually. Called a "speculation."
The motherboard that Intel showed at IDF with Conroe was the 975X "Bad Axe" modified on the trace level to run Conroe. Future 975X boards will support it, but current ones had to be modded. They may have already shipped Conroe-supporting revisions, but the first 975XBX did not run it.

robberbaron said:
" Finally, to help you think through your upgrade path for CPUs and motherboards, we put together the table below:"

"We" is ExtremeTech, not Intel.
This isn't at all an official confirmation. It's the opposite, actually. Called a "speculation."
The motherboard that Intel showed at IDF with Conroe was the 975X "Bad Axe" modified on the trace level to run Conroe. Future 975X boards will support it, but current ones had to be modded. They may have already shipped Conroe-supporting revisions, but the first 975XBX did not run it.
tru, tru, you're probably right. but hey, its very possible, does any1 think its possible or just me, because im dying to upgrade but i dont want to buy a system and not be able to upgrade in the future without starting again almost from fresh because of the mobo and processor

robberbaron said:
975X itself can run Conroe, it's just up to the board maker to support it.
i think all it needs is a bios update, as also stated in article, however, as said above, none of this is confirmed.

HOLY SHIZ-A-MA-JIZZ!!! i hate extreme tech, saying things that might not be true!!!! now i have to wait until intel says something before i get that mobo!!!!!

amdmadman said:
Conroe needs a updated VRM so i am pretty sure i will not work.

Yes, the Intel specs call for an updated VRM, but most enthusiast boards already have VRMs that are up to the task...

Maximus825 said:
Yes, the Intel specs call for an updated VRM, but most enthusiast boards already have VRMs that are up to the task...
ahhhhhh, the debate goes on...........................

-=ABUSIVE-69=- said:
HOLY SHIZ-A-MA-JIZZ!!! i hate extreme tech, saying things that might not be true!!!! now i have to wait until intel says something before i get that mobo!!!!!

lol dude relax, what are you running a p3 right now or something?

tsn | spazz said:
That's why you buy NF4 SLi. :cool:

Those boards can run conroe? That would be amusing if nVidia had a chipset out before Intel that did conroe.

right now im on a socket a amd 3000+ and the motherboards that i saw that have tha i975 chipsets are here they are nice but expensive boards and the conroe runs on socket T which is the same as 775

which one of those boards do you think are the best, they all have crossfire, 8gb of ram supported, the reviews are all good and mention good overclocking.... which is the best?????

are you sure, on newegg the other boards got better user ratings and that forum u showed me said that peps had lots pf trouble with this board. overclocking is very important to me.

I get the feeling that 975X will "support" Conroe in the same way that Socket 478 "supported" Prescott. A few s478 Prescotts were made, and then Intel moved onto LGA775.

Bona Fide said:
I get the feeling that 975X will "support" Conroe in the same way that Socket 478 "supported" Prescott. A few s478 Prescotts were made, and then Intel moved onto LGA775.
thats ubergay!!!!

-=ABUSIVE-69=- said:

Damn... ease up on the coffee there, chief.

-=ABUSIVE-69=- said:
are you sure, on newegg the other boards got better user ratings and that forum u showed me said that peps had lots pf trouble with this board. overclocking is very important to me.

As long as you don't need the Marvel controller you should be ok. Almost everyone who is complaining about the board is complaining about the Marvell IDE/SATA controller.

You should be able to use the Intel controller which can handle 2 IDE drives + 4 SATA drives.

But some people might have like 3 IDE devices and need to use the Marvell controller and thats where the problems often start.

The board is a great overclocker. I personally disabled the Marvell controller ( didn't need it), the onboard sound (have an Audigy card) and one of the onboard LAN's (it has 2, I only need 1) and I've had ZERO problems.

if i buy an intel rig with a p d 920 processor, will all i need to upgrade to conroe is the cpu itself?

jcll2002 said:
if i buy an intel rig with a p d 920 processor, will all i need to upgrade to conroe is the cpu itself?

Short answer: No one knows.

Speculation: Maybe, seems the current rumor is a bios flash and/or board revision. The key being voltage.

wow this sux.. i went AMD a week ago just for a nice SLI setup wiht faster processor and i was under the inpression that conroe wouldnt work on th eI975 chipset... im depressed now... oh well looks like im sellin an AMD 3800X2 and an Abit AN8 mobo this fall.. lol along with 2 gig of DDR400 ram... :)

dont worry about it, you have a nice rig. Just upgrade with quad core which isnt that far behind conroe...thats what im doing

hmmmm.... intesesting. anyway, bottom line is that no one knows 4 sure but several websites have claimed that the conroe will work on current i975x boards and they have no reason to lie and is probabaly right. however, the first wave of conroe might come out on socket t but will move to something else just like all the previous generation procs.

-=ABUSIVE-69=- said:

Damn... ease up on the coffee there, chief.

-=ABUSIVE-69=- said:
THE CONROE WILL WORK ON CURRENT INTEL 975x BOARDS!!!! wow i can upgrade now and be ready for the conroe, awesome!!! linky

If you bought a 975X motherboard when they first came out then you're pretty much out of luck as far as Conroe support is concerned. All 975X motherboards produced before January of 2006 will not be able to support Conroe.

ok guys so can we get a list of 975x chipset boards that are out now that should support conroe...

DJ_007 said:
ok guys so can we get a list of 975x chipset boards that are out now that should support conroe...

There's only one that definitely does.....
Intel BOXD975XBXLKR motherboard revision 303 or later. (or it might be 301 or higher)

Thats the motherboard that was used in any reviews / PR information around. Its supposedly just a had a few minor changes on the motherboard to support it. Not a new PCB, just a few solderings and a BIOS flash.

People are guessing that the Asus & Gigabyte will support it b/c those boards are usually built overspec'd to start with, so they will probably have the necessary voltages / VRM to support Conroe. BUT those are not definite.... yet.

The list of 975X boards that support Conroe is basically any 975X board manufactured after January 2006. I get the feeling that the new nForce chipsets will also support Conroe.

Back