DDRdrive X1 Delayed until Q2

Weazmeister

Limp Gawd
This is an mailing list email I got today. I am really curious to see how this thing pans out. Check out the pic. It's HUGE.

-----------------------------------
Solid state drive enthusiast,

To allow additional time to include a DDRdrive X1 Control Panel application with unique and exciting functionality, we have delayed our product introduction to the end of 2Q06.

Our passion and absolute conviction that this technology can literally change the course of the storage industry is what keeps us working around the clock. Please know, we are doing everything within our power to bring this product to you as soon as possible.

Although DDRdrive is a small company, we have a dream that will not be denied. Thank you for your patience and understanding!

The drive for speed,
Christopher George
Founder/President
DDRdrive LLC
ddrdrive_live.jpg

Here's another pic. Looks interesting - they've got it on pci express x1 or so, power plug on the back, and connects via the pci-e bus. Only a 512 unit run at first. Looks interesting; we'll see where this goes.

if their 2nd gen product would allow an additional four slots on the back of the PCB it would really sweeten the deal.

Yeah, a 16GB drive would actually be useful as my OS install drive. Just would have to make sure to make daily backups as I wouldn't trust it.

I'd ask two questions.

Can it be used without plugging into a slot?

Will you consider a 2 sataII output version to be used as Raid0?

Room is getting really really tight in high end systems these days. Video cooling is taking up alot of room, and most of the motherboards aren't arranging the connectors vvery well.

What the industry needs is to drop PCI entirely, instead a second card-cage for PCI that runs off a PCIe x1 slot, with 3 or 6 well spaced out PCI lots on it would be really cool. Just a cable from a x1 slot over to the cage. Then 2+ HDTV wonder TV tuners, sound cards, etc would be easy to do without trying to jam it all into the same 6"x6"x6" volume.

xX_Jack_Carver_Xx said:
Can it be used without plugging into a slot?
No, read the links. It's connected over pci express, not sata. That's 200 MB/s, bidirectional.
xX_Jack_Carver_Xx said:
Will you consider a 2 sataII output version to be used as Raid0?
What for? These things already perform plenty fast; you're likely to be limited by the speed of the driver or the hardware doing the raid 0 rather than the device.
xX_Jack_Carver_Xx said:
Room is getting really really tight in high end systems these days. Video cooling is taking up alot of room, and most of the motherboards aren't arranging the connectors vvery well.

What the industry needs is to drop PCI entirely, instead a second card-cage for PCI that runs off a PCIe x1 slot, with 3 or 6 well spaced out PCI lots on it would be really cool. Just a cable from a x1 slot over to the cage. Then 2+ HDTV wonder TV tuners, sound cards, etc would be easy to do without trying to jam it all into the same 6"x6"x6" volume.
They have one of those. There's even another one out since I checked last. Prices start around $1900. Enjoy.

unhappy_mage said:
No, read the links. It's connected over pci express, not sata. That's 200 MB/s, bidirectional.
i likely only draws power from the PCIe bus... take a look at the pictures, its got an SATA cable coming out the back of it, just like the gigabyte ramdrive.

(i looked at the links, i didnt see anything that said it made transfers over the PCIE bus..)

Where do you see a SATA cable? I only see a pair of wires that comes out and bends up and has an LED on the end.

But, without a SATA or IDE connection, how does this thing work without drivers? It must mimick a SATA controller card or something so it shows up in Windows as a drive on a controller.

Met-AL said:
Where do you see a SATA cable? I only see a pair of wires that comes out and bends up and has an LED on the end.
DOH! theyre the same color :p thats what i get for quickly glancing...

But, without a SATA or IDE connection, how does this thing work without drivers? It must mimick a SATA controller card or something so it shows up in Windows as a drive on a controller.
thats what im wondering. this could get messy with more than one card if each of them needs its own sata controller

Our systems are too packed as it is already, this card takes up more than one slot with the memory that overlaps. With the new PPU cards coming out and crossifre/sli rigs, there is simply no place to put these things.

Also with vista being 9 gigs in size, I dont think that you can just get away with one unit and have some programs on there.

I could possibly fit that in my machine along with a PPU, however, every single slot would be loaded, it's going to be insane.

I'd like to see the benchies on it though and how it compares with the iram.

EDIT: Does anyone notice that it doesn't have a battery on board :eek:

Ockie said:
Our systems are too packed as it is already, this card takes up more than one slot with the memory that overlaps. With the new PPU cards coming out and crossifre/sli rigs, there is simply no place to put these things.

Really? What do you all have in your slots? With motherboards coming with so much stuff onboard nowdays, I see less and less in the slots unlike the "old" days when you had a graphics card, 3d accelerator card, soundcard, modem, and a NIC card.

Met-AL said:
Really? What do you all have in your slots?
I'm guessing two two-slot graphics cards, a sound card (onboard sucks), and maybe a PPU - and then add in the fact that these things overlap the slot to the side of them, too. That will overflow even eatx boards (depending on which one, of course). Another issue is that a lot of SLI boards with only 20 lanes have an x1 slot (perfect for this) directly between the graphics cards (not good for anything, let alone a 2-slot device. Maybe mobo and case makers could standardize another set of slots that aren't up against the back of the case for things like a PPU and a solid state disk that don't need access to the outside and alleviate some of the potential crowding problems.

kyle has to get one of these babies and do a nice review.. please :p

Has Q2 come and gone? That's when the ddrdrive was supposed to come out right?
As a Java Web programmer having to start up JBoss over and over gets tiresome. I think the ddrdrive could help my 90 second start time each time I make a change.

Carlos

AMD X2 4400
DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-D
2GB Ram

I wont be intrested untill they make a bay unit or something to alleviate the slot space, I simply have no slots left. Most boards pcie slots are in awkward places so it's going to make it next to impossible to use without killing off a couple other cards.

Ockie said:
I wont be intrested untill they make a bay unit or something to alleviate the slot space, I simply have no slots left. Most boards pcie slots are in awkward places so it's going to make it next to impossible to use without killing off a couple other cards.
They should listen to you. You are (in) their target demographic. (For a change, I am completely serious about this.)

Reply to #18. If you ask for info from their website you get a form reply with lot of specs and hype. But i'm already sold! The ship date was either past or very ambiguous as I recall.

Carlos

SwingCarlos said:
Reply to #18. If you ask for info from their website you get a form reply with lot of specs and hype. But i'm already sold! The ship date was either past or very ambiguous as I recall.

Carlos

Don't get too excited, you are likely to be dissapointed.

See this about the older I-Ram: http://www.overclockers.com/tips00806/

Yes, this is better than the I-Ram, but a lot of it still applies.. No matter how fast your drive is, drive speed is not the end all of PC performance, and if a ram based drive will help depends on what you are doing.

==>Lazn

someone has to test it with Vista, i find vista usese the hard drive a lot more then winXP, so the Ram Drives should benefit alot more

Can you say Vaporware? I knew you could! This thing is like a year over due now, and some of the pages don't even host images anymore. :D

Sadly, this is true. Looks like a dead product :(

really, how hard could it be to come up with a product like this?

Harder when you hype your product with prices, specs, and paper performance benchmarks and realize that you can't provide it.

Back