"network cable unplugged" in XP after vista install

xrAzVaNx

n00b
Hi
After installing the 5308 Vista Build..and everything was working fine (except no audio, coz didnt found any working drivers for my sound card)...
I rebooted in XP
where i got a message saying: "network cable unplugged"
but everything was well conected and internet was working well in vista

I tried the following:
-system restore (nothing changed)
-i went into device manager, my network adapter was working fine, i re-installed my network drivers.. nothing changed either
-as someone on a forum suggested.. i disabled 2 services, UPNP Device Host and SSDP Discovery Service...nothing came out of that either
- i tried resetting the BIOS in case vista changed something.. nothing either

Here is some info on my setup..
I installed vista with a clean install, on a separate hardrive from where XP was..
And I have a lan at home, so my comp is plugged in my wired router..

I googled my problem but I only found a few ppl with the same issue as me after they had installed vista, but they did not have much replies..

Any suggestions on what I could try.. if not then at least what are my options?
can i reinstall xp over xp, or maybe "repair it", i dont wanna lose everything i have there tho..or maybe.. would it fix the problem if i uninstalled vista?

Thanks

IF you are a member of the Microsoft Beta there are specific forums and channels for this material where you can find help. Discussions which would violate NDA's are against the rules.

With that said, if you are getting a cable disconnected message (in any OS) yet things are working correctly... it is most likely just a driver issue. The driver you are currently using is reading the hardware incorrectly thus telling you it is disconnected. Look around for updated ones or get a third party card that you know will be supported by your OS.

Orinthical said:
IF you are a member of the Microsoft Beta there are specific forums and channels for this material where you can find help. Discussions which would violate NDA's are against the rules.

With that said, if you are getting a cable disconnected message (in any OS) yet things are working correctly... it is most likely just a driver issue. The driver you are currently using is reading the hardware incorrectly thus telling you it is disconnected. Look around for updated ones or get a third party card that you know will be supported by your OS.

I agree it sounds like a driver issue, make sure the right drivers are in for the network card

the thing is, the message is not displaying in VISTA, but in XP .. and XP has always been working fine, until i installed vista, and went back into XP where i got that message, and as i said, i tryed re-installing my driver, ill try finding new ones, but it should work with the same ones as before... and i am a beta tester ( i would hate to cause microsoft losses of money.. IMAGINE THE CATASTROPHE IT COULD CAUSE) :eek:

Try turning the PC off, and then unplugging it from the power for a few minutes. The Vista drivers might be leaving the NIC in a weird state that the XP drivers can't handle.

It is a driver issue...same goes for x64 users, But at the end updating with new drivers is completely worth it..

Loving my NEW x64 system

Fint said:
Try turning the PC off, and then unplugging it from the power for a few minutes. The Vista drivers might be leaving the NIC in a weird state that the XP drivers can't handle.
OMG thank you, that fixed it..
kinda gives you an idea of what vista is going to be..
plus, it freezes so many times, its not worth it for now.. if i have to beta test another build of vista i think ill use VMWare
thanks again guys

xrAzVaNx said:
OMG thank you, that fixed it..
kinda gives you an idea of what vista is going to be..
plus, it freezes so many times, its not worth it for now.. if i have to beta test another build of vista i think ill use VMWare
thanks again guys

Likely a specific driver issue. I have been running Vista and Longhorn, on physical box and in VM's for 6 months or so. Extremely stable. Hell, Vista is faster than XP on the box I usually play around with it on. Aside from a video card driver issue it's been basically flawless. I will provide the disclaimer that because of software and driver support I haven't done much beyond browsing and tooling around the GUI. Generic tasks for the most part.

Back