New line from BenQ looks promising

mnemonik23

n00b
Well, I have been looking for a good 24" monitor too. And I think I found something interesting. Not released yet but looks like it will be soon.

BenQ FP241W (BFI)
Resolution: 1920x1200
Responce time: 8ms grey-to-grey and 12ms on/off
HD 1080p support

"BenQ FP241W (BFI) High Definition
The BenQ FP241W (BFI) wide-screen LCD monitor features the world-leading BFI technology, a high resolution of 1920x1200 and HDMI connector. The world-leading BFI (Black Frame Insertion) Technology is the advanced technology of Advanced Motion Accelerator (AMA) Technology. By using BFI Technology, the spatial-temporal integration can effectively reduce the ghosting effect caused by the slow pursuit and low pass effect of the human eyes thus provides clearer motion pictures."

Also there are regularFP241W and 30" models too.

More sources:
http://www.benq.com/News/News.cfm?id=1264
http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2604
http://www.nordichardware.com/news,3177.html
http://www.presence-pc.com/actualite/bfi-benq-15432/

I never heard about BFI or AMA Technology before but if it is as good as advertised I might wait for one of these :cool:

BFI was announced at CEBIT 2006 and there's some info on it here. The details say:

AU Optronics / BenQ Introduce BFI Technology

AU Optronics are also working on a responsiveness improvement for their panels and this is based on a different principle. Since the human brain keeps images in memory, TFT's can sometimes give the perception of afterglow even if complex equipment doesn't detect it. This is why you can't always trust response time measurements, and real life performance can vary greatly from measured figures.

By inserting a black frame every size images AU Optronics claim this helps "clean" the human eye from this perceived afterglow and have named this technology, BFI (Black Frame Insertion). This is a part of their Advanced Motion Accelerator (AMA) technology. BeHardware saw the new BenQ FP241W (left) in action at CEBIT compared side by side with a current 23" model (BenQ FP231W, 16ms S-IPS model) without this technology. They report that this is even more of an improvement than Samsung's MPA techniques, and responsiveness is apparently improved to the levels of plasma displays. Again, the fact that this is in clone mode with a relatively slow model like the FP231W shows that for exhibition purposes, this improvement is likely to be exaggerated. Fortunately, new models will begin to emerge in June 2006 according to BenQ. They released this press statement recently about the forthcoming FP241W:

"The BenQ FP241W (BFI) wide-screen LCD monitor features the world-leading BFI technology, a high resolution of 1920x1200 and HDMI connector. The world-leading BFI (Black Frame Insertion) Technology is the advanced technology of Advanced Motion Accelerator (AMA) Technology. By using BFI Technology, the spatial-temporal integration can effectively reduce the ghosting effect caused by the slow pursuit and low pass effect of the human eyes thus provides clearer motion pictures. The FP241W is the first monitor of its kind with a HDMI connector worldwide. HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) TM technology is the latest digital technology to connect set top box such as TV, PS2, Xbox, in an efficient and easy way whilst carrying HD audio and video signals in one single cable."

Anyone know what kind of Panel this monitor uses?

I don't want any input lag if at all possible.

Ristogod said:
Anyone know what kind of Panel this monitor uses?

I don't want any input lag if at all possible.

AUO makes TN and P-MVA panels so one of those two. My guess is some sort of P-MVA since I dont know of any TN panels in 24 inches

The regular model - BenQ FP241W (widescreen) has a 24 inch 8 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung LTM240M2)

But if AUO is now the panel supplier like the other poster said then it will be P-MVA

Why pay that much for what I can do simply by blinking a lot in front of a 2407FPW?

The BFI technology scares me... I am very sensitive to refresh rate and video 'anomalies' in generral. I would tend to think that this 'blank frame' would be noticeable and irritating to some of us...

I am also concerned about input lag as recent experiences have shown us that the more 'processing' that is done to an image by our monitor, the more input lag you experience. I wonder if running the video through this blank frame interleave process will add more lag.

Blue Falcon said:
The BFI technology scares me... I am very sensitive to refresh rate and video 'anomalies' in generral. I think this 'blank frame' would be noticeable and irritating to some of us .... I'm also concerned about input lag as... the more 'processing' that is done to an image, the more input lag you experience ...
Good points.
Also, got any info on the Benq 30" ?

Wait a week and a half for some freeware that installs on top of Catalyst/Nview to do this from your video card.

Zak said:
Good points.
Also, got any info on the Benq 30" ?

Not supposed to hit retail until Q4 this year.
30" PVA Panel (16.7 million color)
2560x1600 native resolution (16:10)
DSUB and DVI vga connections, S-Video and HDMI connections
700:1 contrast
11ms grey-to-grey with Blank Frame Interleave technology

placebo said:
Wait a week and a half for some freeware that installs on top of Catalyst/Nview to do this from your video card.

Second time I've heard this rumour but I havent seen a thing to make me think it's going to be a reality. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Blue Falcon said:
The BFI technology scares me... I am very sensitive to refresh rate and video 'anomalies' in generral. I would tend to think that this 'blank frame' would be noticeable and irritating to some of us...

I am also concerned about input lag as recent experiences have shown us that the more 'processing' that is done to an image by our monitor, the more input lag you experience. I wonder if running the video through this blank frame interleave process will add more lag.

Blue Falcon? Are you a superhero or something? Maybe thats your CIA codename?
Didn't you have a tv show in the 70's complete with a comic relief sidekick. I believe it was some sort of cyborg doggy. :D

StalkerZER0 said:
Blue Falcon? Are you a superhero or something? Maybe thats your CIA codename?
Didn't you have a tv show in the 70's complete with a comic relief sidekick. I believe it was some sort of cyborg doggy. :D

I'm not allowed to comment on that, sir... it's classified.

*whistles innocently*

theacoustician said:
Any (Benq 30") .... prices?
I second that, what'll Benq-30" cost? Trevbomb, BlueFalcon, care to weigh in on this?
IMO its mediocre specs (PVA panel, 700 Contrast) indicate price will be lower than Dell's 30" (which uses the superior S-IPS panel).
Any contrary opinions? ..... (head down, runs for cover)....

Blue Falcon said:

When inserting the black frame I believe this will reduce the blurring caused on displays. The black frame will make the lcd portray a moving image more like a CRT simulating the firing of the electron gun.

* I might be wrong but who cares it was a good guess.

I contacted buy.com today and they confirmed that "Due to a setback from the manufacturer" the FP241W is postponed. They said that BenQ didn't tell them when it would be out.

Also, NCIX has the release date listed as September 15th. But, they are taking pre-orders for $855, so thats a pretty reasonable price.

So it looks like BenQ had some problems that will cause it to be postponed 1-2 months. At least they are fixing them, unlike Dell with the 2407FPW.

Also, I hope the FP241W won't stretch a 720p or 1080p/i input from 16:9 to 16:10 like all the other monitors out there. I think its pretty ridiculous that monitor engineers are so bone headed that they don't realize that people don't pay for 1080p quality to have it stretched out vertically by 11%!

Also, I hope the FP241W won't stretch a 720p or 1080p/i input from 16:9 to 16:10 like all the other monitors out there. I think its pretty ridiculous that monitor engineers are so bone headed that they don't realize that people don't pay for 1080p quality to have it stretched out vertically by 11%!

Dell's monitors can do this.

Well, the Dell 2407FPW doesn't stretch 16:9, that is true. But given all the other problems this monitor has, its not going to cut it.

Zak said:
I second that, what'll Benq-30" cost? Trevbomb, BlueFalcon, care to weigh in on this?
IMO its mediocre specs (PVA panel, 700 Contrast) indicate price will be lower than Dell's 30" (which uses the superior S-IPS panel).
Any contrary opinions? ..... (head down, runs for cover)....

You had better run for cover!! The 30 inch BenQ is gonna be a good monitor dang nabbit! :mad: :(

Back