- higher contrast levels means darkest blacks​

Super-PVA (S-PVA)
- same as PVA except ...
- “Magic Speed” (the Samsung equivalent to Overdrive) improves pixel response
- slightly improved color reproduction
- slightly improved viewing angles​

Purchasing Considerations

TN Gamers
Considered a "gamers" panel due to it's fast pixel response times which reduces trailing images know as "ghosting". However, this advantage has been reduced by new technologies to accelerate pixel response times in other panel types. Colors and contrast tend to be weak and blacks are not truly dark. Viewing angles are significantly limited. However, monitors based on this technology tend to be inexpensive.

IPS / S-IPS Graphics Work or Web Browsing
Considered to have the best color reproduction of all panel types, these panels are well suited for graphics work or web browsing. Pixel response time is also good but slower than the TN "gamers" panel. Contast and blacks are also less dark than VA panels but viewing angles are excellent.

MVA / P-MVA / PVA / S-PVA Compromise for All-Around Use
These panels are a compromise between the fast pixel response times of the TN panel and the excellent color reproduction of the IPS panels. Contrast and blacks are best of all the panel types. Viewing angles are similar but slightly inferior to IPS.

Model/Panel Index

Acer
Acer AL1951Cs - 19" TN Film
Acer AL1916ws - 19" WS TN Film
Acer AL2016ws - 20" WS Chunghwa Picture Tubes TN Film
Acer AL2032wa - 20" WS AU Optronics P-MVA (M201EW01 V0) OR LG.Philips S-IPS (LM201W01)

BenQ
BenQ FP202W - 20" WS Chunghwa Picture Tubes TN Film

Dell
Dell 1905FP - 19" Samsung PVA (LTM190E4-L02) or AU Optronics P-MVA (M190EN03 V0)
Dell 1907FP - 19" TN Film
Dell 2001FP - 20" LG.Philips S-IPS (LM201U04)
Dell 2005FPW - 20" WS LG.Philips S-IPS (LM201W01)
Dell 2007WFP - 20" WS LG.Philips S-IPS (LM201W01)
Dell 2007FP - 20" LG.Philips S-IPS (LM201U04)
Dell 2405FPW - 24" WS Samsung PVA (LTM240M1-L01)
Dell 2407WFP - 24" WS Samsung S-PVA (LM201W01)
Dell 3007WFP - 30" WS LG.Philips S-IPS (LM300W01)

Gateway
Gateway FPD2185W - 21" WS Samsung S-PVA (LTM210M2)

HP
HP F2105 - 21" WS Samsung S-PVA (LTM210M2)

Hyundai
Hyundai L90D+ - 19" Samsung TN (LTM190EX-L01)

NEC
NEC LCD20WGX2 - 20" LG.Philips AS-IPS (LM201W01)

Sceptre X20G Naga II 16ms 20" P-MVA
Sceptre X20G Naga II - 20" WS P-MVA

Samsung
Samsung 930B - 19" Samsung TN Film
Samsung 940B - 19" Samsung TN Film
Samsung 940T - 19" Samsung PVA (LTM190E4)
Samsung 940MW - 19"WS Samsung TN Film (LTM190M2)
Samsung 204B - 20" Samsung TN Film (LTM201UX)
Samsung 215TW - 21" WS Samsung S-PVA (LTM210M2)
Samsung 244T - 24" WS Samsung S-PVA (LTM240M2)

ViewSonic
ViewSonic VA1912W - 19" WS Chi Mei Optoelectronics TN Film (M190A1)
ViewSonic VP912B - 19" AU Optronics TN Film (M190EN04 V1)
Viewsonic VX922 - 19" AU Optronics TN Film (M190EN04)
Viewsonic VX924 - 19" AU Optronics TN Film (M190EN04 V5)
ViewSonic VP920 - 19" TN Film
ViewSonic VP930 - 19" AU Optronics P-MVA (M190EG01 V0)
ViewSonic VA1912W - 19" WS Chi Mei Optoelectronics TN Film (M190A1)
ViewSonic VA2012WB - 20" WS Chunghwa Picture Tubes TN Film
ViewSonic VX2025WM - 20" WS AU Optronics P-MVA (M201EW01 V0)

Much information gathered from TFT Central. Please visit their excellent site for detailed information on TFT technology and manufacturer models.

Are you sure about the Samsung 930b and 940b? The viewing angles and contrast ratio seem to high to be a TN...

Unknown-One said:
Are you sure about the Samsung 930b and 940b? The viewing angles and contrast ratio seem to high to be a TN...

yeah, both are listed as 700:1 contrast ratio and 160/160 viewing angles, but this is Samsung's 8ms LTM190EX-L01 TN Film panel as used in a large numer of their range and in other models too (Samsung 913N, 920N, Hyundai L90D+ etc)

AS-IPS is "Advanced Super In Plane Switching", but S-IPS is "Super In Plane Switching". It's just an extension of the same technology but a new generation with a new name.

Hate to burst the bubble, but it seems the site you linked has very little hands on and relies on other sites reviews to make its desicions. I would recommend anyone wanting to buy an LCD look around oin the [H] forums, plenty of users have posted their experience over time with hands on.
I know my reliance on the reviews I read led me to a certtain choice and after some hands on I changed it...
I can also say that there is no substitue to actually seeing the LCD in use before you buy it(if possible). Good luck to anyone looking for a new LCD!!
And as I said, read forums and Newegg User reviews and even PM users here if you want the most info possible b4 you spend your cash.

Badd said:
AS-IPS is "Advanced Super In Plane Switching", but S-IPS is "Super In Plane Switching". It's just an extension of the same technology but a new generation with a new name.
I'm not sure about this, but I think AS-IPS is a buzzword for a S-IPS display that has extra electronic gimmickry to boost contrast ratios based on colors present in the scene, and perhaps use pixel overcharging as well to achieve slightly better response times.

placebo said:
I'm not sure about this, but I think AS-IPS is a buzzword for a S-IPS display that has extra electronic gimmickry to boost contrast ratios based on colors present in the scene, and perhaps use pixel overcharging as well to achieve slightly better response times.

oh, it's very much a marketing word certainly. The panels are still based around S-IPS panel technology, and the AS-IPS terminology seems to be so far exclusively used by NEC. It might be their way of identifying their "boosted" range. LG.Philips have developed their next gen of S-IPS as well, called Enhanced S-IPS. At the end of the day, there's a lot of different names floating about. fundamentally the panels are IPS underneath :)

what about adding the Acer AL2416W and AL2423W to the monitor list?

LostStorm said:
Time to update sticky with new info.

I agree, this is great info I had no idea it was here but I would like to see additonal monitors listed as well as the LG l204wt

According to the Egg Samsung has a new 22" widescreen LCD the SAMSUNG 225BW. It also lists it as a TN LCD. Also it seems a bunch of new 1680x1050 panels are around the corner from Acer, Sceptre (which has HDMI and a claimed 1200:1 contrast ratio!!) and all seem to be TN, but I am not sure about the Sceptre.

i just get the new Gateway 22" widescreen model FPD2275W

manual states

Panel type:
22" viewable
TFT active matrix S-PVA
700:1
16.7m colors

Elios said:
i just get the new Gateway 22" widescreen model FPD2275W

manual states

Panel type:
22" viewable
TFT active matrix S-PVA
700:1
16.7m colors

doesn't look like S-PVA to me?! spec from gateway here. 700:1 contrast ratio, 5ms response time and 160/160 viewing angles a clear indication of TN Film. Looks like the CMO TN Film panel to me. Unless there's a different spec somewhere else is there?

Badd said:
doesn't look like S-PVA to me?! spec from gateway here. 700:1 contrast ratio, 5ms response time and 160/160 viewing angles a clear indication of TN Film. Looks like the CMO TN Film panel to me. Unless there's a different spec somewhere else is there?

if thats the case Gateway owes me 400 bucks becouse thats what it said 1. in the manual and 2. on the spec sheet at Bestbuy AND Circuit City :confused:

Elios said:
if thats the case Gateway owes me 400 bucks becouse thats what it said 1. in the manual and 2. on the spec sheet at Bestbuy AND Circuit City :confused:

that is what it says in the user manual, you're right. However, there's no way that spec is indicative of S-PVA. Further more, Samsung (the only manufacturer of PVA matrices) dont make a 22" S-PVA / PVA panel yet. Can you post a couple of pics of the screen from an angle, particularly looking up at the screen from below?

Great info! I am wanting to get a S-IPS LCD because of it's good color output, but on your list it looks like the only manufacturer that produces them is Dell. With the exception of that one NEC (which I couldn't even find when I looked it up on Froogle).

Lazarey said:
Great info! I am wanting to get a S-IPS LCD but on your list it looks like the only manufacturer that produces them is Dell. With the exception of that one NEC (which I couldn't even find when I looked it up on Froogle).

there are far more S-IPS based screens than those just listed on the first post. Check out http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ and put in S-IPS in the panel search (choose "panel" drop down) and you can see them all! plenty to choose from. The NEC LCD20WGX2 is quite widely available, certainly in UK/Europe/US

I just took apart a busted Hyundai L90D (NOT a "+" version) and it has a Samsung LTM190E1-L01 TFT panel inside.

Samsung's datasheet states this is a PVA panel.

one odd thing is that it makes it sounds like S-PVA is better than P-MVA due to the way it words it.

i had kind of figured that P-MVA edged it out though.

wonkman, would you be able to update with acer 24-26" models? I'm very interested. Thanks!

Interesing post. I'd be very interested in seeing some hard numbers to compare the performance of these different panels types in different domains.

I stumbled upon this informative article written about LCD monitors. Some of it was a little confusing :confused: as it detail enriched for more advanced LCD enthusiasts. The article breaks down Response times, contrast ratios, specified, actual and dynamic, color reproduction etc. I just bought a Samsung 226BW(a) and want to learn more of the in's and out's of this thing.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/lcd-parameters.html

I was wondering, if MVA / P-MVA / PVA / S-PVA are decent enough to play a fast game like maybe... Ninja Gaiden Sigma or something fast pace? Or would it have noticable ghosting... cuz I think usually those types are around 6+ gtg ms. And I'm not very knowledgable on these things.

the latest generation of P-MVA panels (8ms G2G) and PVA / S-PVA (6ms G2G) panels are considered pretty good, not quite as responsive in practice as the fastest TN Film or S-IPS models, but still well regarded.

I know people above said this already, but thanks again for posting this information. There's so much crap out there that it's great to have it all in this one place (and from a trusted source). [H] is awesome.

Back