My Aqua Computer Hardware - Preliminary Review

Mysterae

Gawd
I have obtained 6 AC waterblocks (4 different types) for my build parallel HEX (for those that haven’t seen it). I’m not going to discuss the performance of these blocks, mainly because there isn’t any water flowing through them just yet :( , and many would poo poo them anyway because of the uniqueness that is my water cooling circuit, testing methodologies, etc.

Instead I’m going to talk about the quality, fitting and shortfalls of these blocks.

First block in the dock: Cuplex XT CPU Waterblock

cuplex_xt_mod_01.jpg

Many will know this block and the recent review from System Cooling. I’m modifying this to a 3 port design and will of course affect any results I will get. The ‘problem’ with this block (if it is a problem) is the jet holes. In my block the chamfers or countersinks were offset from the actual holes.

Here's an image taken from the System Cooling Review:
image07big.jpg

And here is a macro shot of my jet holes:
cuplex_xt_mod_10.jpg

Is it this way on purpose? Don’t think so. Will it affect performance? Don’t know. That's my only gripe with this block. It looks good, performs well (from reviews and hearsay) and by modifying it to 3 ports, I should improve the performance.

Next: Aquagratix X1900 Waterblock

stage_90.jpg

I think this is a nice block, cools the memory as well as the gpu. The spring loaded core makes the height of the ram chips a non-issue. However, ATI fitted thermal pads to the X1900XT(X), some think to isolate the heat from the gpu, some think to cool the ram chips. I dunno. The Aquagratix cooler makes closer contact with the ram chips, so some TIM (other than the stuff on the stock cooler) is required, but not supplied. You have to recycle the thermal strip for the power ic's at the far end of the card.

There is an issue depending on what X1900 you are fitting the Aquagratix to. For instance, there is a difference between the X1900XTX and the X1900 Crossfire; the composition chip of the Crossfire card.

stage_91.jpg

The ATI stock cooler has TIM between itself and the composition chip. To cool or to isolate? Regardless of this, the Aquagratix doesn’t make full contact with it, and the height of the chip is quite low. I’m unsure if I should apply TIM to that chip or not.

stage_92.jpg

I did notice that when I removed the stock cooler, the composition chip had sweated a little, probably from the TIM itself. The ram chips were dry.

The tolerance in fitting this block is tight. There is a capacitor on the bottom left hand side of the cooler that touches the Aquagratix. Shouldn’t be a problem, but worth noting.

The fitted LED to light up the Aqua Computer plexi logo is a nice addition, but could have been done better. First, the size of the LED pushes the plexi logo a bit high on one side so that it’s not flush. A minor niggle though. In my opinion they should have supplied clear logo blanks for people like me who are going to change them, instead of having to buy them separately. The gauge of wire used for the LED is a bit OTT, and at the end of the lead for the LED is a molex connector. Why they didn’t fit a connector to fit in the socket for the stock fan lead is beyond me. Yes, the glow will change depending on what the fan speed would have been, but I think this would have been a nice feature! It’s left up to me to modify it this way ;). Means I can use the fan control in ATI Tool to control the brightness of the logo.

Last moan – the instructions are in German, but who reads them anyway ;)

Next: Twinplex Pro North Bridge Waterblock

twinplex_01.jpg

Firstly, the chippings inside the block.

twinplex_02.jpg

twinplex_03.jpg

To be fair, I really had to pick these off with a blade, but with all the hoo-hah with other blocks and their chippings, it goes to show you that not everyone is immune to this. All water cooling enthusiasts know to check their blocks for this kind of thing. If your block has a warranty void sticker, tough. AC blocks don’t have these aforementioned stickers thankfully.

This is a tiny block, but with good reason – it’s got to fit where other nb coolers fear to tread! The clearance of the north bridge chip on DFI RDX200 is low, and I’m glad to say the Twinplex fits – barely. That’s with two X1900 with Aquagratix fitted.

twinplex_04.jpg

Due to a surface mounted component on the underside of the RDX200, the plastic screws supplied with the twinplex bend around it.

twinplex_05.jpg

It would have been much better if they had supplied spring loaded clips with the twinplex. Luckily I can use the spring loaded clips from the original fan cooler of the motherboard. Hopefully these will give enough downwards pressure for the cooler to be effective.

twinplex_06.jpg

twinplex_07.jpg

Last: Aquadrive Micro Hard Drive Waterblock

This is one heavy water block, with a lovely blue colour and oddly no plexi in sight!

aquadrive_01.jpg

aquadrive_03.jpg

aquadrive_05.jpg

aquadrive_04.jpg

I really have go to question the effectiveness of this block. It hardly comes into contact with the hard drive, with only the outer perimeter of the hard drive touching. You can actually see light right through between the hd and the waterblock.

aquadrive_02.jpg

I was originally going to use Cooler Master aquaturles but changed my mind due to the questionable quality and horror stories (mine had what looks to be cracks in the acrylic). The aquaturles have a thermal blanket of sorts that comes into contact with the copper base and the hard drive. Aqua Computer should have included something like this with the Aquadrive. I'll peel the thermal blanket off the CM Aquaturtles and use it for the AC Aquadrives. More on that in my worklog.

copper_sandwich.jpg

---------------------------------------------------

I didn't post this 'review' of sorts because it's fashionable at the moment to knock Aqua Computer, but because you expect a certain level of quality for your money. Time will tell how these waterblocks perform in my water cooling circuit, but I have all the confidence they will be good ;).

Back to normal service!

very nice and informative post Mysterae! now when you are done with the cuplex XT project you can edit the OP with your "Rev.2" block!

Thanks el rolio. I think consensus means I have to rename it to a Cuplex RBXT :D

Mysterae said:
Thanks el rolio. I think consensus means I have to rename it to a Cuplex RBXT :D
Actually it would be the Cuplex WWXT ;)

Nice work for sure. I picked up another WWXT from Wes last night and noticed my holes are much cleaner than the picture you show. I wonder if it has to do with batches of blocks or a manufacture change.

After see your problem with the crossfire card it makes me happy I went with the good ole Cuplex blocks for my X1900's. They keep my GPU's at a nice 38c.

Nice review, shows that AC makes some quality stuff but that they are not perfect, and are not immune to the same problems other vendors experience. FWIW about the warranty stickers, I know that DangerDen does not void your warranty if you remove the sticker (or open the block). They simply place that there to let you know that they have pressure tested it before sending it out.

R1ckCa1n, you'll have to explain the WWXT thing! As for the jet holes, it's something I'll have to live with I guess. You say you fitted these to a X1900? Hmm pictures please!

The more I think about the 'problems' of the Aquagratix, they aren't really problems, just shortfalls. The composition chip isn't cooled when folk fit a gpu only block, so that makes me think it doesn't need to be cooled by the Aquagratix. I will put some TIM between it and the cooler just for completeness sake. I think they fitted the molex connector to the LED for people who like their LEDs a constant brightness.

Erasmus, that's the point I was trying to put across. I could just have ignored these issues for the sake of being pro-AC, but that doesn't help anybody. About the warranty stickers, that's good to know and gives piece of mind to buyers.

Mysterae said:
I have obtained 6 AC waterblocks (4 different types) for my build parallel HEX (for those that haven’t seen it). I’m not going to discuss the performance of these blocks, mainly because there isn’t any water flowing through them just yet :( , and many would poo poo them anyway because of the uniqueness that is my water cooling circuit, testing methodologies, etc.

Next: Twinplex Pro North Bridge Waterblock

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mysterae/parallel_hex/twinplex_01.jpg[/MG]

Firstly, the chippings inside the block.

[IMG]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mysterae/parallel_hex/twinplex_02.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mysterae/parallel_hex/twinplex_03.jpg[IMG]

To be fair, I really had to pick these off with a blade, but with all the hoo-hah with other blocks and their chippings, it goes to show you that not everyone is immune to this. All water cooling enthusiasts know to check their blocks for this kind of thing. If your block has a warranty void sticker, tough. AC blocks don’t have these aforementioned stickers thankfully.
[/QUOTE]

I just got my NB Pro and GPU Pro blocks today. I noticed the same thing in my NB block. Well, not as much are yours though. They didn't come off w/ some light prying, so I don't think they'll break off from the water flow.

Strange about the swarf on the twinplex. New cnc operator?

Even TN never said that AC was perfect! The AC owners say one thing.....AC works and it works well.
BTW, a very nice, unbiased review. It would be nice if everyone would take note.

I would send those TwinPlex Pro blocks to where you got them as they omitted a very important part of the manufacturing process. They didn't bead blast the block after they got done machining it. :eek:

The bead blasting serves two purposes: One it gets rid of any chips and second it improves thermal transference. You can see mine here:

TPProSLI14.jpg

TPProSLI13.jpg

That is interesting on the bead blasting of the Twinplex Pro. I'm not sure if I should bother to sent it back for another, considering the postage costs and time involved. I've removed the chippings anyway and the bead blasted finish would perhaps only deduct a fraction of a degree from my temps. Since I've modded the Cuplex XT I can't send that back, unless AC would be kind enough to mod one for me :).

I'm thinking I should copy my original post on the AC forum, see what people there think and for their interest.

Bent pin there, Nurse? Unfortunate.

What material is the hard drive cooler made of? Anodized aluminum?

I doubt the bead blasting would increase turbulance enough to make it worth the bother. The pin grid lies directly over the heat load, and that's important. The rest isn't worth sweating over.

Yes, the hard drive cooler (Aquadrive micro) is made from anodized alu, threaded holes for 1/8" BSPP fittings.

I agree on the bead blasting, not going to send it back just for that. Perhaps AC agree too and have decided not to do it on future Twinpex Pro blocks.

Mysterae said:
That is interesting on the bead blasting of the Twinplex Pro. I'm not sure if I should bother to sent it back for another, considering the postage costs and time involved. I've removed the chippings anyway and the bead blasted finish would perhaps only deduct a fraction of a degree from my temps. Since I've modded the Cuplex XT I can't send that back, unless AC would be kind enough to mod one for me :).

I'm thinking I should copy my original post on the AC forum, see what people there think and for their interest.

I think you find it locked pretty quick. They don't like people putting pics up like that in their forum. I should know as I have done it many a time if I feel they are not listening. :D

phide said:
Bent pin there, Nurse? Unfortunate.

What material is the hard drive cooler made of? Anodized aluminum?

I doubt the bead blasting would increase turbulance enough to make it worth the bother. The pin grid lies directly over the heat load, and that's important. The rest isn't worth sweating over.

Yeah it came that way. I razed them about it a while back in another post. Actually the bead blasting improves the thermal transference as it creates a lot more surface area and really increases the disruption of the boundrary layer from what my engineering family says.

Mysterae said:
Yes, the hard drive cooler (Aquadrive micro) is made from anodized alu, threaded holes for 1/8" BSPP fittings.

I agree on the bead blasting, not going to send it back just for that. Perhaps AC agree too and have decided not to do it on future Twinpex Pro blocks.

Maybe, but that TwinPlex is just an example of shoddy workmanship and equally terrible QC. Maybe there is a reason German products have been taking a dump of late. ;)

Top Nurse said:
Actually the bead blasting improves the thermal transference as it creates a lot more surface area and really increases the disruption of the boundrary layer from what my engineering family says.

Should take much more turbulance to effectively disrupt the boundary layer than what the bead blasted pits would provide. They may be mildly effective at reducing laminar flow, however. An interesting thing.

Top Nurse said:
Maybe, but that TwinPlex is just an example of shoddy workmanship and equally terrible QC. Maybe there is a reason German products have been taking a dump of late. ;)

They have farmed them out to the same China factory as Swiftech? :p

Mysterae said:
They have farmed them out to the same China factory as Swiftech? :p

The parts with the shavings came from Swiftechs American factory. BillA has said that the QC from the China factory was much better than the American one...go figure.

Back