Thoughts on 2007WFP...

Burke Hamblin

2[H]4U
I love the modernized design, I've no dead or stuck pixels, and the thing is mondo bright. However, even with the monitor INF and color profile installed (w/HIS Radeon X1900XTX, Cat 6.3), I'm having trouble with grays exhibiting a distinctly brown tint; I've adjusted the levels on both the monitor and in the Catalyst Control Center, but I just can't seem to get them close to a pure gray; for example, the grays of the HardForum appear brownish with pale yellow text, whereas on my cheap 17" Dell LCD at work, they appear perfectly gray.

I've seen the "blurry" text mentioned, as well, and I can say that I have noticed a bit of that. In the case of colored text on a medium-dark background, it appears that the pixels are offset slightly. Since the Sharpness option is not available on DVI, I'm not sure how I can do test adjustments on it.

Also, I find the monitor to be more "wobbly" than the 2005 FPW. Any LCD will wobble when the desk is bumped, but the 2007 seems especially prone to any slight movement on my desk, likely due to the "stylish spindliness" of the new stand. I tend to type rather forcefully, and the monitor moves appreciably.

Finally, the backlight. My 2007 suffers from the bleed from the corners that many of the 2005 series did. Mine isn't horrible, but it's definitely noticeable...still, my 2005 was far worse and I got used to it, so that isn't too much of an issue.

I'd be interested to hear more from other 2007WFP owners in regards to these points.

I just received my 2007WFP about ~45 minutes ago, however, I have a deck to finish building so I can't toy around with it just yet. :(

I'll be back in this thread a lil later in the evening to post my thoughts.

I've solved the gray issue to a point, after many combos of color tweaking both on the monitor and in the CCC, but the blurry text is seriously starting to irritate the eyes. I'll try a better quality DVI cable (shouldn't have to, really), hopefully that will solve it.

The issue is that on colored backgrounds, text isn't sharp, like when you'd manually have to adjust the pixel sharpness on a VGA connection by "aligning" the pixels via the manual controls (by the way, I also tried the VGA connection, same thing). Mind you, neither having ClearType on or off changes it; in fact, bolded fonts look terrible with ClearType off, even worse than the "blur" with it enabled.

I've tired of the constant back-and-forth of returns and hauling the boxes up and down stairs, but it looks like I got a bum 2007.

Torq, two things

1.) If you have an nVidia card, go into the video prefernces in your card and color correction, then make sure its all set to desktop when you modify it, or modify each color range individually, this might help, ALSO, you can try increasing your sharpness a little, that might clear up the blurriness, just an idea. As per cleartype I usually leave it to the default settings as it is what looks best. Do you also have the standard windows font selected? I know its rare that people change it but its possible other font looks funky on it.. even though thats not an excuse..

I get my 2007WFP sometime while im away on break so i will get back to you on my experience with it and see if I can help.

2.) As per the monitor wobbling, it's your desk.. if your desk is not sturdy then the vibrations of pounding away on the keyboard are going to shake the monitor, i type moderately heavy even though im a skinny dude, but it happend on my old crappy desk at home, but moved to school with a hard solid desk attached to the wall.. i have to slam my fist on the table to get my monitor to wobble..

A solution to this could be get a VESA mount arm.. some attach to the back of your desk ( if its applicable) and others to the wall.. I wish i spent the majority of time at home but I dont since im in college for another year.. ( woo grad school SCREW DORMS haha). regardless a VESA arm/mount would be MUCH better for your needs as they are made much nicer.. since they have to be stiff to hold a monitors weight.. also well obvious advantages.. you can move it around like crazy and position it with ease and have stuff sit below it or easily move it around and not have to pick it up.. no cords wrapped around it..

just some stuff to think about..

Also since you have the 2007wfp.. they will advanced exchange it for you :)

Weenis said:
Torq, two things

1.) If you have an nVidia card, go into the video prefernces in your card and color correction, then make sure its all set to desktop when you modify it, or modify each color range individually, this might help, ALSO, you can try increasing your sharpness a little, that might clear up the blurriness, just an idea. As per cleartype I usually leave it to the default settings as it is what looks best. Do you also have the standard windows font selected? I know its rare that people change it but its possible other font looks funky on it.. even though thats not an excuse..

I get my 2007WFP sometime while im away on break so i will get back to you on my experience with it and see if I can help.

2.) As per the monitor wobbling, it's your desk.. if your desk is not sturdy then the vibrations of pounding away on the keyboard are going to shake the monitor, i type moderately heavy even though im a skinny dude, but it happend on my old crappy desk at home, but moved to school with a hard solid desk attached to the wall.. i have to slam my fist on the table to get my monitor to wobble..

A solution to this could be get a VESA mount arm.. some attach to the back of your desk ( if its applicable) and others to the wall.. I wish i spent the majority of time at home but I dont since im in college for another year.. ( woo grad school SCREW DORMS haha). regardless a VESA arm/mount would be MUCH better for your needs as they are made much nicer.. since they have to be stiff to hold a monitors weight.. also well obvious advantages.. you can move it around like crazy and position it with ease and have stuff sit below it or easily move it around and not have to pick it up.. no cords wrapped around it..

just some stuff to think about..

Also since you have the 2007wfp.. they will advanced exchange it for you :)
As I mentioned, I have a X1900XTX and have tried color adjustments via the control panel, to no avail. There is also no way to increase the sharpness in the CCC, unfortunately, and both on DVI or VGA, the Sharpness option in the monitor's adjustment settings is not available. The font types are irrelevant, because any font on a colored background, and especially if the font is also colored, seem offset/misaligned/blurry.

As to the "wobbliness," I use the same desk I did with the 2005 FPW, and the 2007 is definitely more sensitive to movement than the 2005. Again, I know that any kind of repetitive or hard impact on the desk will cause movement, but I definitely notice more of it with the 2007.

I'm dropping most of my comments in the other 2007 thread, so check it out.

In short though, my colors are look as they should, bleeding is really minimal at most, and while my 2007 doesn't wobble when I type it does when I'm tapping on my desk along to songs and stuff. Maybe we need to throw some shocks in your keyboard or something? :cool:

All in all, it would appear you got a bad LCD. Return that thing, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the next one you get isn't a lemon. :)

Back