First Half of 2005FPW vs 2007WFP!

Weenis

I said WEENIS, not...
Yes, i have the 2005fpw that was mistakenly sent to me, and im going to be comparing and contrasting it to the 2700WFP that i have coming tomorrow, i will only really have one day to do it.. becuase i have to leave and send the 05 back monday and wont have them in the same location.. so anything you guys want to know.. you should ask here, and soon.

Oblivion looked fantastic.. there was only small blacklight seepage in the bottom right hand corner.. maybe the size of 3/4 of a can of soda.. and it wasnt bad seepage.. so its a pretty decent panel.

I'm going to test it for ghosting with CS:S @1680x1050 right now
Oblivion looks fantastic at that res, but it runs like total crap

Pc specs as follows
3.0E p4HT 1mb cache @ 3.01 stock
Gigabyte 8knxp Motherboard ( aging i know)
2x512mb corsair xms plat ddr 400, running in dual channel cas latency 2.5
BFG 6800GT OC, running at 370mhz memory, 1.0ghz core

Definately will "try" to.. i can BARELY fit the 2005 and my 1704fp on my desk with my pc there.. its going to require a lot of moving tomorrow :(.. i have to move my pc to the floor and i higly doubt ill be able to fit all 3.. but im gona try :-D atleast for some pics..

Things I've noticed already, the whites are really very bright and nice, the colors are very crisp and concise.. and its a very clear panel.. total the panel is as wide as my arm is long lol.. its about 3.5'' wider than your standard 17" and a tiny bit taller

Try to do tests that are are easily repeatable. Solitaire test for ghosting: drag the cards from left to right, up and down and take a pic of the blur. Maybe even run the "i need more socks" car test. Also if you look at the screen dead on, and move your head 2 inches, does the color stay the same or does it change a bit? Is the pink/purple hue present when viewed at an angle. Check backlighting. thanks

Also also also do a waterproof test... Dunk each monitor in a tub full of water. Report back to us with your findings >.>

Color stays the same until you get to a very steep angle, then it altersbut only on the blacks..

As per backlight seepage.. yeah there is some.. but i noticed something.. when you sit really close to it you notice it
it depends at the angle you look at the screen at how bad it looks.. there is more than i thought BUT. if i sit about 2.25-2.5 feet away atleast, the darks get darker and the bleeding looks almost not there.. wether your head is level w/ the top of the monitor or the middle or the bottom makes a difference too.. if you look straight on ( no up/down angle) you dont see any of the bleeding

Just got done in CS:S, couldnt tell you that there was any difference betwene the 2005fpw and my 1704 that has a 12ms response time.. looks fantastic.. ( they just added HDR to dust as of today too!)..

I was running max everything 4x FSAA 16x AF, looked magnificent.

Even though the solitare thing seems like bs to me.. i saw no ghosting whatsoever on moving cards around.. white card green bg

As for synergyo1, theres no reason to be a jackass, if you arent going to contribute, dont post.

Alright, time for my thread hijack, complete with $hitty photos. :)

First off, I'm loving this LCD. Stepped up (I guess?) from an aging 21" Viewsonic CRT (RIP buddy, you will be missed) and I really don't know what to say other than "wow". Text is sharp (my grays don't have a brown tint to them, nor is my white text on dark backgrounds yellowish as another gentleman in this forum experienced), and colors are vibrant.

Per WW's request, a took a couple of ($hitty) pictures of the things he wanted to see.

First up, viewing angles and all of that color changing non-sense!

vangle1.jpg

vangle2.jpg

vangle3.jpg

While I'm fairly certain the photos speak for themselves, I would like to say that I've actually sat here for about 5 minutes bobbing my head side to side this way and that looking for the colors to change, but no dice.

* It should be noted for all of you that care that this monitor does exhibit "banding" on gradients and such.

I used Solitaire to test ghosting as requested as well.

card1.jpg

card2.jpg

card3.jpg

To be honest, these photos don't really show this LCD in a good light. Before the CRT zealots roll in and start yelling "ZOMG GHOST!" while swinging pitchforks at me, I'd like to say that in person, the blur on those cards doesn't look bad at all. In fact, the only game that I've actually noticed the blur in is COD2. While moving in a straight line, the scenery and players that pass you by look fine. It's not until you start swinging your view from left to right that you notice any blurring at all. I'll admit that it's different than my CRT, but my eyes will adjust to it and I'll deal, it's really no biggie at all.

Now, onward to backlights.

bleed1.jpg

bleed2.jpg

I've seen a 2005 with bad (actually terrible) bleeding in person before. Thankfully, this LCD really doesn't display any.

"Hey, are you stupid? I see the bleeding in your damn pictures you monkey!"

Well my goodsirs, I've just got to chalk that up to my camera. In person, the only corner that I can really see any bleeding from is the bottom right (where the power light is, hmmm), and it's nowhere near as bad looking as it looks in those pics. I watched a couple movies on this LCD last night, and a few HD QT trailers an hour or so ago, and you honestly can't see the backlighting at all.

movie1.jpg

movie2.jpg

All in all, I'm absolutely loving this LCD. If you guys have got anymore questions, or want more pics of other things, let me know (I promise I'll figure out this camera and take decent photos soon enough).

http://hip.dreamhosters.com/misc/lcd/trl1.jpg
http://hip.dreamhosters.com/misc/lcd/trl2.jpg
http://hip.dreamhosters.com/misc/lcd/oblivion1.jpg
http://hip.dreamhosters.com/misc/lcd/oblivion2.jpg

edit \\

Opty 165 @ 2.7
2GB Ballistix
ASUS A8N32-SLI
eVGA 7900GT (500/1500 variant, no OC yet :( ) w/ XG 84.21v2
2007WFP
etcetc

Just in case someone wanted to know what I'm running. :)

Weenis said:
... As for synergyo1, theres no reason to be a jackass, if you arent going to contribute, dont post.

I wasn't trying to be a jackass. As ADF pointed out it was a friendly joke. I was indirectly saying not to burden yourself too much with our requests. My comments would be to the point if I was being a jackass :) Please lighten up.

SkuLLy|RT said:
* It should be noted for all of you that care that this monitor does exhibit "banding" on gradients and such.
Compared to the 2005FPW, how bad is the banding?

synergyo1 said:
I wasn't trying to be a jackass. As ADF pointed out it was a friendly joke. I was indirectly saying not to burden yourself too much with our requests. My comments would be to the point if I was being a jackass :) Please lighten up.

its cool no harm no foul :)

Unfortunately I havent gotten my 2007 yet.. but here are some comparisons of rleative size to a 17 " as the guy requested to the 2005fpw which is only a little larger in bezel size:
size.jpg

Here is oblivion in action @ 1680x1050, high everything, HDR no FSAA: here you can see how much the monitor ghosts, mind y ou its added a little bit to the fact that i was a tiny bit shaky with my camera..one handed shots are hard! and i dont have a tripod.

For all intensive purposes, sure it ghosts.. its not that it ghosts that you should worry about, its the relatively small amount that it ghosts.. you can see it really only does it in the darker areas w/ lighter backgrounds becuase of going from b-w and vice versa, and its pretty damn faint :
ghosting.jpg

and a better shot.. you can see that ghosting isnt really an issue.. i dont notice it while i was playing CS:S even..
ghosting2.jpg

This shows off the quality of the picture I think, it came out nicely
oblivionload.jpg

Now onto backlight bleeding/color:
Notice how below from picture 1 to 2 the camera angle changes just a little, and backlight disappears, 3-4, 5-6 have the same results, moderate angle changes result in major differences, if you arent right on, it looks like shit. (right on i mean level with the monitor up and down, not an angle)

Now youll see in color1/2 the last two photos, when you are at a deep angle, and elevated, color looks awful, but if you are level with the monitor, it looks ABSOLUTELY normal. I tested this for like 5 minutes dancing around my room like an idiot with the lights off
serenity1.jpg

serenity2.jpg

Note the changes above.
serenity3.jpg

serenity4.jpg

And again, drastic difference.
serenity5.jpg

For picture 5, I was elevated about 8-10 inches.,,
color.jpg

Elevated only 2-3 inches, but at an angle
color2.jpg

And finally, perfect color as I saw it, from a lower angle ( lined up withthe bottom part of the bezel where the buttons are)

You can see if you have backlight issues, you can solve them or alteast make them better by adjusting the monitor a certain way, you can tilt it and raise it if you have to to get the desired effect, or use an aftermarket vesa arm/mount

Hope you find these useful!

Flying Fox said:
Compared to the 2005FPW, how bad is the banding?

Unfortunately I don't have a 2005FPW sitting here to compare it to, so perhaps Weenis could help you out there. I'll probably swing by with a couple pics of the banding a lil later though, so you can see it for yourself.

@ Weenis-

Those pics you've got up are of a 2005FPW? The bleeding in a couple of those movie shots looks pretty bad. :\

SkuLLy|RT said:
Unfortunately I don't have a 2005FPW sitting here to compare it to, so perhaps Weenis could help you out there. I'll probably swing by with a couple pics of the banding a lil later though, so you can see it for yourself.

@ Weenis-

Those pics you've got up are of a 2005FPW? The bleeding in a couple of those movie shots looks pretty bad. :\

Yeah thats a 2005FPW, mind you I'm not keeping it, they accidently shipped me the wrong monitor, I just wanted to put info up then get the 2007WFP ( which arrives tomorrow according to UPS) and compare so I can let people know if its worth an upgrade, etc.

As per the bleeding yeah, sometimes its really bad and sometimes its not, just the straight forward more black there is in those bled prone areas, the more you notice it.. it almost is a yellow tone.. the more i sit there and pay attention to it, in CSS w/ an m4 which is all dark.. in a dark area its REALLY annoying becuase you see that bleeding all over the gun and you can see it looks horrible.. fortunately some people have found somewhat of a fix to it with electrical tape..
Just goes to show you dell juust mast produces them and doesnt fix shit with new revisions.

Depending on how my 2007WFP is im already thinking about getting a 2407WFP when they come out, save up over the summer snag one of them babies and push dual 7900GTs. one 6800GT isnt cutting it

Dude, those are great pictures, really helpful. Unfortunately now I'm not sure I want an LCD.

I just got my 2007WFP sitting here.. I'm going to try some of the same stuff on it. Will be posting on it in a few minutes.. as of yet.. color and picture seems to be a decent amount sharper

Ok, I got some pics.. Now you gotta watch carefully, I'll start with the useful cute stuff first!
Following picture is the 2007WFP next to my 1704FP dell, the 2007WFP goes about 2 inches higher, but i did this for size reference purposes
StandUP.jpg

Now, I put the stand all the way down.. as you can see it goes down REALLY far, which is very useful, especially if you are shorter or you have a really high desk, etc.
standDOWN.jpg

Now I go onto backlighting, since this is a major issue, here are two pics of a 4.5gig DVD Serenity in a dark scene. This is in my room w/ my drapes closed.
Serenity1.jpg

Serenity2.jpg

As you can see, Excellent, no backlight leakage, but i will prove it more for you guys out there that are weary. Just so you know those images are scaled down to 45% of originals, and have maximum quality made in Photoshop CS2, I figured you guys didnt want 11mbits per pic ;)
This picture shows that for the VERY VERY little yellowy light you see in the upper left corner, it is NOT backlight leakage, its light coming in through my ugly yellow dorm drapes. My hands shadow makes this clearer:
light.jpg

Now I show you the same load screen that I showed you on the 2005FPW for quality purposes, but on the 2007WFP
Quality.jpg

and finally, SAME Load point, same settings, same place, same shot pretty much.. but on the 2007WFP instead, which is why i didnt play oblivion so i wouldnt save over it, thank me for that :-p.. Notice theres very very very little ghosting, like on the back foot of his armor, but its not on the buildings, as it was on the 2005FPW, with a "lower" ms time.
In game I don't notice any visable ghosting.. and the jittery look is half from my camera, have from my 6800GT OC saying it doesnt like oblivion @ 1680x1050 full graphics :-p
oblivion.jpg

Hope these help you guys

As per image quality, its fantasitc, and color representation is perfect as far as I can see , i have the color profile loaded. Viewing angle, aslong as you stay even with the panel the viewing angle is fine, its the same with the 2005 on this aspect.. something to do with sips panels.. when you go really high compared to the monitor ( physical height) the colors change , except when you go really low.. they stay the same.. just get slightly darker.

Overall, im happy with my 2007WFP.. it performs well and i will keep updating as I find out more.. if I have any problems I'll let you guys know.

Nice comparison and review. Although it doesn't surprise me that there's less ghosting with a "higher" ms rating than the 2005, I'm sure a lot of other people will learn something: rated response times mean next to nothing.

Thanks so much for all the pictures and info!

Question for you on the 2007: How's the aspect ratio control? Would it be possible for you to take a picture of something running at 1024x768 and see what it looks like? Does the monitor let you set the re-sizing to 1:1, Wide, or Zoom?

thanks a bunch.

I currently have a Dell 1704FPT monitor as well. Weenis, do you think the upgrade to the 2007WFP is definetly worth it for normal day activities.. such as internet exploring, watching videos (wrestling, anime, movies), and also occasional gaming on a X800 XT. When the price comes down to a reasonable amount, I might think about getting one of these.

Time to hijack Weenis' thread again.

sanitystream said:
Thanks so much for all the pictures and info!

Question for you on the 2007: How's the aspect ratio control? Would it be possible for you to take a picture of something running at 1024x768 and see what it looks like? Does the monitor let you set the re-sizing to 1:1, Wide, or Zoom?

thanks a bunch.

When running at anything other than the native rez, the OSD gives you the option to run 1:1, 4:3, and Fill modes. Here are a couple of pics (I still can't work my camera for $hit :( ).

As you can see, 1:1 results in the game running inside a little box on the screen.

oblivion_1_1.jpg

4:3 yields bars on the left and right of the game, but no noticable degredation (by my eye) to the beauty of the game.

oblivion_4_3.jpg

And with Fill, everything gets a lil bit fatter. :)

oblivion_fill.jpg

Hope that answered your question!

What are your settings? I've had mine for a few days and had turned the brightness down too much because I wasn't getting a lot of detail in darks, like on the forum main page, i could not see the dark gray very well. I have it set to 32 now, which seem to be good, slightly brigher than I would like.

I also found the MAC mode better than the PC mode on both my mac and pc. (I switch between both machines) The PC mode was darker and had a red tint.

Anyway I am interested in others complete settings and how those are working for you and any other owners of the 2007WFP

Thanks!

does 2007wfp come with DVI cable? also do you think the price will go any lower than what it is?

wasabichimera said:
It comes with a dvi cable. There is a $60 coupon right now I think.
i saw 2007fp going as low as $489 CND on Dell's 10 day sale a little while ago and now it is on sale for $509. I don't want to get the deal now and kick myself when 2007wfp appears in the 10 or 12 day sale.

wasabichimera said:
What are your settings? I've had mine for a few days and had turned the brightness down too much because I wasn't getting a lot of detail in darks, like on the forum main page, i could not see the dark gray very well. I have it set to 32 now, which seem to be good, slightly brigher than I would like.

I also found the MAC mode better than the PC mode on both my mac and pc. (I switch between both machines) The PC mode was darker and had a red tint.

Anyway I am interested in others complete settings and how those are working for you and any other owners of the 2007WFP

Thanks!

I've got my brightness setting @ 50. I've actually toyed around with PC / Mac mode, and it looks to me as if Mac mode only makes things brighter, which I don't really need with my current brightness setting. I didn't notice any colored tints or color changing on my screen with either setting.

Have you played with the Desktop / Multimedia / Gaming settings yet? Aside from changing the brightness, I haven't really been able to tell what else they do.

It's really odd, but this LCD is looking great to me @ default settings. I haven't really seen anything out of the ordinary that would make me want to sit there and tinker around with the settings.

Do you notice any banding on gradients with your 2007WFP?

Part of the reason I got this model is because of the panel and it's use in the apple cinema display, which I use at work.

I had two ViewSonic VP930b and those were frying my eyes and the pixel pitch was also a problem...so I returned them and got this. I instantly turned down the brightness but I turned it down too much. I'm trying to adjust to 32 now, which seems so bright but looks great.

I have noticed the banding on gradients but over all I'm really happy with this display. A much better deal than the apples.

Also when I uped the brightness and switched it back to the PC mode, all the red tint was gone. So I'm not really sure which is best to use, but the PC mode is darker on my MAC and it's slightly annoying to have to switch that each time I go between the machines.

Out of curiosity for you 2007WFP owners, what are the default R,G,B color settings? Somewhere in the middle around 50, or all the way up to 100?

And what does it look like if you max them all to 100? Super-duper saturated colors?

I'm asking because I need to compensate for the Xbox 360's crappy VGA cable that washes out colors and the only way I can do this is to blast my monitor's color levels to extremely saturated psychedelic levels (which look normal on the Xbox). Not all monitors can do this, so I'm wondering if the 2007 can.

thanks.

steveng said:
I noticed and have already put my order in. Let's hope it won't be any cheaper than this any time soon. anyone knows how fast dell delivery is usually? it says 1-2 weeks

Ordered mine april 4, and got it on tuesday april 11.

what did you think of 2005fpw vs 2007?

was/is there a noticible difference between the two?

sanitystream said:
Out of curiosity for you 2007WFP owners, what are the default R,G,B color settings? Somewhere in the middle around 50, or all the way up to 100?

And what does it look like if you max them all to 100? Super-duper saturated colors?

I'm asking because I need to compensate for the Xbox 360's crappy VGA cable that washes out colors and the only way I can do this is to blast my monitor's color levels to extremely saturated psychedelic levels (which look normal on the Xbox). Not all monitors can do this, so I'm wondering if the 2007 can.

thanks.

Just checked on this for you, and the RGB values are all at 100 by default.

SkuLLy|RT said:
Just checked on this for you, and the RGB values are all at 100 by default.

Thanks SkuLLy|RT, I appreciate the info. I take it the default 100 values are fairly normal color levels to the eye?

I never do understand why some monitors allow no extra "overhead" on increasing color values (like the Gateway, which allows a fair amount of increased color saturation over default values. Of course, the Gateway has other problems, so I guess nothing's perfect.)

Weenis said:
Yeah thats a 2005FPW, mind you I'm not keeping it, they accidently shipped me the wrong monitor, I just wanted to put info up then get the 2007WFP ( which arrives tomorrow according to UPS) and compare so I can let people know if its worth an upgrade, etc.
Too bad you've already packed up the 2005FPW, i would like to see how colour banding is compared to the 2007WFP. I have the 2005 myself so may be you can throw up a shot of the monitor showing a picture with gradients or skin tones (yeah, looking at scantily clad women sucks when banding appears :p).

Flying Fox said:
Too bad you've already packed up the 2005FPW, i would like to see how colour banding is compared to the 2007WFP. I have the 2005 myself so may be you can throw up a shot of the monitor showing a picture with gradients or skin tones (yeah, looking at scantily clad women sucks when banding appears :p).
Damn! Are you saying porn looks terrible on the 2005FPW? I'll be using the panel for games, movies, and porn! Hope the 2007WFP is much much better.

Sure duder no problem, hit me up in a PM and then we can talk on aim and you can send me some pics and ill take some digicam shots of those pics vs your pics so we can see how banding is on the 2007WFP.. already have a few pics but probably not what you want

crea78 said:
I currently have a Dell 1704FPT monitor as well. Weenis, do you think the upgrade to the 2007WFP is definetly worth it for normal day activities.. such as internet exploring, watching videos (wrestling, anime, movies), and also occasional gaming on a X800 XT. When the price comes down to a reasonable amount, I might think about getting one of these.

Yeah its deifnately worth it if you get it on a deal, but to pay 530 for it?...... no, unless you go all out in your PC stuff.. it is VERY nice to have the extra quality.. its so much sharper.. you will notice it the most on internet explorer and viewing pictures and in video games.. not as much on movies/videos unless they are HD+ ..

I'm already decided im going to save up for a 2407WFP this summer to go with it, i like it that much.. mind you ive already had the expierence of a 2005FPW too.. the 07s are fantastic. Except for the OSD, its a little clunky but.. you dont mess with them much so anyone that calls shit on the monitor for that is an idiot. its like complaining about the glovebox in a car....who cares, its a glovebox.

As per everyones questions about saturation etc, yeah you can jack them all the way up like any monitor..

About the red tint, set it up for blue or use a custom to drop the red a littlebit, remember your video card settings can adjust these to if you use an nvidia( dont know about ati but i would assume so)

As for price, Dell has deals all the time, i got 60 off and then 5% off 150, Plus dells screwup netted me 100 off,, got real lucky this time, but have to deal w/ a return but oh well, free money. :)

Id say if you can get it for ~400-450 its a good deal, but 529 is steep for it.

WickedWeasel said:
Damn! Are you saying porn looks terrible on the 2005FPW? I'll be using the panel for games, movies, and porn! Hope the 2007WFP is much much better.
IMO the 2005FPW is the closest to CRT in terms of colour reproduction. I want to know how the 2007 stacks up to the 2005. And yes, pr0n will look bad on 6-bit TN panels, especially the bad ones. :p

Skin tones are always tough for panels that don't have full range colour. The thing with pr0n though is that they are mostly shot indoors and you don't get to see much gradients. Swimsuits and/or low-cut clothing with the photographers focusing on the contours reflecting outdoor sunlight are better tests. I look at Formula 1 pitbabes and even the new Viewsonic panels do not look the same compared to CRTs (they are not 8-bit though).

Back