The Ugly Side of Vista Pirating

I think as long as these VLK license are created, they will be leaked to the pirate community. On the other hand, MS can't do without it, because what IT org would want to activate 150,000 clients?

It's not going to stop the knowledgeable pirates. Like all copy protection/activation, it does help reduce casual piracy or trying to run on more than one computer in the case of WPA.

IOW, Joe Blow can't get a copy of a Vista from a friend who buys a new computer and activate it. It will disable itself after 15-30 days. But retail protection isn't going to hinder 1337 L4RRy who gets his corporate versions from P2P.

right so in providing a mechanism to disable a "feature" of Vista IF it is a piret copy implies they can detect a piret copy.

Why the hell do they just disable it outright!!!

or maybe they should cripple the open license enterprise version to not have aero glass. they don't need the eye candy

If they feel confidently that they are able to detect "stolen" software, why don't they disable it instead of just making it uglier? Do they have that little faith in thier own copy protection scemes? Aren't they the ones constantly insulting competitors and open-source developers?

I don't care anyhow; I'm an adult, and I if I want Windows Vista I can buy it. Of course I don't see anything in Vista that interest me currently, so I am content with my current OS. Heck, why should anyone get Vista when recent Linux distros have been looking so good?

So you're telling me that if I pirate Vista, I won't have to deal with the resource-sucking, pointless eye-candy? (remember that these are the people that gave us Clippy).

I think I'll cancel my pre-order and go fire up eDonkey.

ameoba said:
So you're telling me that if I pirate Vista, I won't have to deal with the resource-sucking, pointless eye-candy? (remember that these are the people that gave us Clippy).

I think I'll cancel my pre-order and go fire up eDonkey.

Just thank jebus that microsoft hasnt adopted some kind of thing like steam. JOO MUST UPDATE TEH OS BEFORE JOO USE IT!

I disable window animations and use nVidia's nView features to enable window transparency and "always on top". I think I'm going to stay with XP Pro, till either, Vista SP1 shows up in retail or a "must have" game is Vista only; and I've alway had plans to dip into the Linux pond but have yet to fully dive in...that Novell desktop seems tres spiffy.

Hell maybe I'll get Vista if I jump on one of those "Dell system + free Widescreen monitor" deals that pop up once in a while.

of course there will be an Aero crack before it even hits the shelves

piracy will always exist

nobody_here said:
of course there will be an Aero crack before it even hits the shelves

I hope so. My schools has MSDN but the video cards are just 9200SE's so it won't run Aero and we just want to see it but the registry key that was online doesn't work in 5342 or 5308.

I would have to agree with ameoba. Microsft seem to have a habit of making its "featues" painfully difficult to completely disble, or just so numerous that installing an configuring a system takes twice a long as actually installing the OS. Plus, you never know what the disabled thigns might hide in the background to "improve performance." MS should get a clue and give users a minimal option like most linux distros have. And if they stopped trying to come up with invasive copy protection schemes, I would feel a whole l ot better about buying their product. For example, the new media protections (that even involve monitors) are so extreme, I will likely not even consider pruchasign any until soemone has bypassed it.

benamaster said:
He is going to need some very good hardware to run Aero Smoothly though.

Yeah but the money he saves by pirating Windows will allow him to buy some good hardware...lol

This will stop those people in different countires producing thier own CDs and selling them and prevent the person next door from letting his neighbour or family member borrow it.

Personally I think one copy of Windows should be allowed to be installed on at least 3 machines, maybe 4 in the house. A "Family" license, because most households dont have $500-1000 to spend to get a new OS on 4 machines. Figure one laptop, and 3 pcs. One for the parents, kid, and another kid. Laptop for travels. With a little cheaper price tag, it would help I think.

hity645 said:
Personally I think one copy of Windows should be allowed to be installed on at least 3 machines, maybe 4 in the house. A "Family" license, because most households dont have $500-1000 to spend to get a new OS on 4 machines.

That is a great idea. Another thing that is going to hurt MS is the whole if you change your motherboard you will have to buy a new copy of Vista. What if my motherboard goes out and i'm out of warranty. I think I'll skip Vista!

kuyaglen said:
I disable window animations and use nVidia's nView features to enable window transparency and "always on top". I think I'm going to stay with XP Pro, till either, Vista SP1 shows up in retail or a "must have" game is Vista only; and I've alway had plans to dip into the Linux pond but have yet to fully dive in...that Novell desktop seems tres spiffy.

Hell maybe I'll get Vista if I jump on one of those "Dell system + free Widescreen monitor" deals that pop up once in a while.

Once games start using DirectX 10 they will be Vista only.. DX10 has been stated to run on Vista only.... then there's that insane "we say you can't run this program cause it might cause a security hole" thing which is even more reason to not want the damed thing.. i hate that i'm stuck with micro$oft cause i'm a gamer.. it's the only Winblows PC in my network besides my parents.

pettybone said:
That is a great idea. Another thing that is going to hurt MS is the whole if you change your motherboard you will have to buy a new copy of Vista. What if my motherboard goes out and i'm out of warranty. I think I'll skip Vista!

That only applies to when you buy a OEM liscense. Buy the full retail liscense and it is not a problem. Doesn't matter anyways, cause the word around here is the Microsoft is pretty good about letting you transfer a OEM liscense to another motherboard.

hity645 said:
Personally I think one copy of Windows should be allowed to be installed on at least 3 machines, maybe 4 in the house. A "Family" license, because most households dont have $500-1000 to spend to get a new OS on 4 machines.

Apple already does this, why MS doesnt is beyond me. We have 3 pcs in this house alone.
Screw you MS.

Tutelary said:
Apple already does this, why MS doesnt is beyond me. We have 3 pcs in this house alone.
Screw you MS.
So it's easier to bash MS than do a little research and find out that they do offer licensing options?

/trumpet sound/ djnes to MS's rescue
djnes said:
So it's easier to bash MS than do a little research and find out that they do offer licensing options?

So, does Microsoft do a family license program? I sure would be nice to be able to buy one license and use them on 3 family PC's for a little extra money.

djnes said:
Their options are expensive, with a "family" license Id gladly pay $150.

Back