"Fraps Won't Start" - The Solution to this Problem

Sloth_Boy

Limp Gawd
So many people have had the problem of fraps not starting. This is due to the demo being installed before the full version. There have been solutions, but they either involved installing a key logger, or they were only temporary, none worked for me anyway. So I ran regmon, I saw the big list of entries that fraps queried then I thought "what ever is protecting fraps is in this list comehwere". I remember that armadillo protection is ussually in a folder called CLSID. I soon found a bunch of entries poiting to a folder in the registry with CLSID in the folder path.
Heres what I did...

Here is a simple way to fix this issue...

1. Download Regmon, it is free and very handy. Also works great for doing full manual registry uninstalls for software and games.

2. Now, run regmon then start fraps. A little timer will show up to say fraps is loading but it never does. As soon as that timer changes back to the normal mouse pointer, go back in to egmon and hit CTRL+E. This stops anymore entires appearing in regmon.

3. Now, search for a list of entries which look like this...

HKCR\CLSID\{7D028A55-8EDE-2854-1EFE-4D6FAC5A7AB8}

You may want to search your registry for this fisr however {7D028A55-8EDE-2854-1EFE-4D6FAC5A7AB8} seeing the folder name may be the same across all systems. If you cant find it doing a registry search then continue on.

4. Once you find a list of entries that look like the above, simply highlight one of the entries and click the registry icon on the top of regmon. That will open up regedit and take you to that folder registry folder you highlighted.

5. Now, export a backup of your registry (just incase) and then delete the folder...

(" the folder should look like this if not the same: {7D028A55-8EDE-2854-1EFE-4D6FAC5A7AB8} ")

6. Now enjoy fraps in all its glory. I'd like some feedback on how this works on other systems. Also note you dont need to touch the licences entries.

I hope this has worked for you :)

Just a note, there are some reports that this method doesnt totally work. If you are having problems, then run regmon again then run fraps.

For some reason fraps may only start when you are running regmon.

Back