Tax Return Came, Now Dreaming Of A Samsung 244T

DasFox

Limp Gawd
Well boys and girls, Uncle Sams donations in taxes back to my pocket arrived today in the mail. Sheesh my wife was going to try and hide it from me, but, hehe I beat her to it.

Anyhow, I'm really dreaming of the Samsung 244T now.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/LCD_Multi_Function/LS24BRBABXAA.asp

Check out my GameRig specs below. I just upgraded my rig and from what I gather gaming at 1900X1200 with this bad boy should be awesome with my system specs.

Anyone had a go with the Samsung 244T, or own one running a SLI box that can vouch for them? My understanding is they are the leaders in supplying most LCDs their panels. In other words, one of, if not the leader in LCD panels.

Also yes I know Dell is the hot word on their big LCDs, but I won't own a Dell if you gave it to me, HONEST, I'd sale it.

Let me hear your words on other GREAT, and I do mean great 24", blistering 1900X1200 LCD, SLI gaming.

THANKS

P.S. The black display won’t conform to the TCO ’03 standard, whereas this silver model does – the black version is only TCO ’99 certified. Does this really matter?

Do NOT get the Samsung 244T, especially for gaming. It has a horrendous amount of lag. See this thread for more information: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1026393

I've tried several monitors, including the Samsung 244T and the Dell 2405FPW, and that thread mirrors my experience.

For gaming, I recommend the 23" Apple Cinema Display. It has virtually no lag when compared side by side with a CRT running at 60 Hz while the Samsung and the Dell lag way behind. The difference is laughable.

The TCO certification doesn't really matter.

ToastyX said:
Do NOT get the Samsung 244T, especially for gaming. It has a horrendous amount of lag. See this thread for more information: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1026393

I've tried several monitors, including the Samsung 244T and the Dell 2405FPW, and that thread mirrors my experience.

For gaming, I recommend the 23" Apple Cinema Display. It has virtually no lag when compared side by side with a CRT running at 60 Hz while the Samsung and the Dell lag way behind. The difference is laughable.

The TCO certification doesn't really matter.

Quoted for truth.

Yeah, lots of input lag or delay. That is my thread they are pointing to. I appologize for the pictures not being up but I am having some ISP trouble at the moment. Regardless, that monitor sucks big time.

Try this: Westinghouse LVM 37w3

I LOVE mine.

Looks like this is the place to be for all of us unfortunate samsung or samsung panel owners. I can verify the words of the posters above to avoid this monitor. You would think that for such a high price and with a quality of name such as Samsung we are just some fools on here making this up and the monitor will arrive and change your life.

Well it will, it will make you lose sleep at night for having spent so much money on what is an essentialy useless item for a gaming rig.

I sent mine back (Acer 24") and picked up a brand new Apple Cinema 23" I can attest to this thing being excellent as I am a heavy gamer myself. CS: S plays beautifully, as does AOE3, Oblivion, and BF2. Well worth it IMO to get a quality monitor after having bad luck with a 2405FPW and Acer 24"

Thanks for the input guys, one problem though ToastyX, the Apple monitor is not HDCP compliant. I'm running Windows here, not a MAC, LOL, so when Vista comes out this is going to suck with this monitor.

Hmm I had heard a lot of good things about this monitor in the past, that is why I made this post, because I had been thinking about it for quite some time. Now I see some people are not likeing it around here, so that's enought to make me stop and think no then too.

Well I'm a real HARDCORE gamer and if you don't think so, look at that GameRig link below with my specs.

That's a box I've waited years to build and now I want a KILLER LCD for it, and what a FRIGGIN choir trying to find something too. :(

I know all the killer names in LCDs but boy for high-end gaming it's a pain in the ass and I suck at it, meaning when it comes to LCDs I can't say I have the experience with them like other pc parts.

ALOHA

No this box is ONLY going to be for GAMING. But for gaming can, or will HDCP come into play, come about? I know at this point they're saying this is for HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs playback. But what is the possibility of HD ported over into gaming on Vista in the future?

Will next generation gaming start going the route of HD-DVD or blue ray? If not, then I might consider the Apple.

THANKS

Personally, I think people are making a big fuss out of HDCP for nothing. I'm sure it will be great, but I seriously doubt they will enforce it as a requirement for everyone. There is no way they can expect the average consumer to go and upgrade their systems just to be able to function for the next media that is released. Not everyone is an enthusiast like us and will jump on the next revolution of filming.

Its like HDTV, when it came out who knows maybe like 5 yrs ago every store and everywhere you would go all the talk was about how yuo have to pay some ridiculous amount to purchase this tv or that just because its HD in order to have a working set. Yet here we are so many years later and you will find what, at max maybe 15 channels in HD.

If you ask me everyone is just blowing smoke about this HDCP, but you never know, maybe I''m wrong and companies will alienate the millions of people still using a 15" CRT and force them into purchasing a $500 LCD with ultra low response time and high contrast ratio.

Yeah right, HDCP going nowhere.

1) Forget HDCP, no point in waiting months and months for HDCP monitors to appear. (HDCP should not influence your decision)

2) The black display and TCO 03 dont go toethor due to the chemical content of the paint finishes.

3) Forget this display based on the input lag alone and that your main use will be gaming.

nononono go ahead and buy it. then get owned in every fps and return it for the apple which is the only 23"+ lcd besides the 37" Westinghouse with no real lag.

To the OPP, the proble isnt ghosting on the samsung panels, as they are excellent in that regard. The issue is that movements of the mouse in Windows or in games does not have the precision you will want as a hardcore gamer.

So for a 24" range sized LCD, it sounds like from this crowd, that for high-end 1900x1200 LCD gaming the Apple 23" can't be beat?

For price and size that is.

THANKS

The HP 23-incher uses the same panel as the Apple 23-incher, I used to have one (replaced it with a Dell 3007) and it was a good screen. No lag, decent pixel response, etc. IQ on a par with the apple, and can be had quite cheap now I think.

HDCP won't be a problem for games. HDCP is meant to protect video content, and like all other data protection schemes, someone will probably find a way around it.

Well I just bought the 23" Apple Cinema Display today boys, so I'll let ya know how it goes. ;)

THANKS

P.S. I have 10 days to reuturn it if I don't like it.

Haha, there you go DasFox. Thats what I'm talking about. Did you order it online or pick it up from a store? If you have an Apple store nearby just go there and have them open some displays up to make sure they have one that meets your standards. I didnt do that but when I called the store they said they were willing to do this for me, just tell them you are travelling from far away for it.

Najeroni said:
Haha, there you go DasFox. Thats what I'm talking about. Did you order it online or pick it up from a store? If you have an Apple store nearby just go there and have them open some displays up to make sure they have one that meets your standards. I didnt do that but when I called the store they said they were willing to do this for me, just tell them you are travelling from far away for it.

There's a MAC store close by me, so I went over there and bought it. They said I have 10 days to return it back if I don't like it for any reason.

ALOHA

P.S. Been 12hrs and haven't fired it up yet, had some work to do, so I'll give a report later on it, Ohhhh I can't wait :)

Najeroni said:
Thats some discipline. Be sure to report how you like it.

Once you get it set up, go here to download the windows specific drivers for the monitor:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/winacd/WinACD-0.4.5.zip?download

Should fix it so the USB works on the back of the panel as well.

Thanks man, are these considered like THE drivers to use for this thing? I mean are there lots of different ones out there?

Becasuse I did find another place with drivers, so I just want to make sure I can find the best ones.

Apple doesn't make any offical drivers for this thing for Windows?

Hey by the way, one thing I didn't think about, how does one go about adjusting the brightness, contrast, etc....?

THANKS

One thing I just noticed when I made a reply, opening up that box to type in my reply, once I was done with that and went back to the post that "Reply" box nad burned a image into the background of the post, but then I closed Firefox and reloaded it and it was gone.

I hope this isn't going to be a problem and images get burnt into this thing?

Ahh my bad I forgot about adjusting the brightness, contrast, etc.. In the Nvidia drivers. Oh yeah and a BIG DUHHH, for forgetting the adjustements on the side of the monitor. ;)

But I'm still seeing this temporary image burn in when going from a bright place to a dark one, then the lighter page I was on burns some of that into the dark.

Is this just because the monitor is new?

THANKS

Ok I installed the drivers, found out YES these are THE ONES. :)

By the way does the LED only come on when starting then goes out?

When I first turned it on, it lit up, then I noticed it was not lit up so I rebooted and then noticed around the time of the Welcome screen, either when rebooting or restarting it comes on for a second then goes out.

Is this normal, or becasuse I'm using Windows?

THANKS

I think the LED is for when the monitor is asleep. It will glow. As far as a image persisting on the screen, I am not having any issue like that. Maybe your computer was just lagging behind, after restarting did it persist?

Ok I called the MAC shop I bought it from they said this is normal it goes out.

They said the reason Apple did this was a lot of people where complaining about it on, LOL

ALOHA

Hey one last GOOFY thing a lot of the Windows I open always POP open to the left side of the screen instead of in the middle. :(

With some of the Windows I just go up to the top like to "File" -- Exit, then click exit and when I do that, wherever I closed the window at which of course is in the center of the screen, when I go to open it, it then appears in the middle.

But things like the "Computer Properties" or the "Display Properties" always keep popping up to the left, and it making me NUTTY to have to keep dragging them over to the middle of the screen all the time, LOL.

http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen8hz.jpg
http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen27gr.jpg

Is this going to be like the DOWNSIDE to using a BIG monitor?

THANKS

P.S. Sorry the Rez is 1920X1200

Hmm, well when I open up control panel, display properties, or system properties it shows up in the same place as you. Never thought about it, considered it or anything. Seems just fine to me.

Najeroni said:
Hmm, well when I open up control panel, display properties, or system properties it shows up in the same place as you. Never thought about it, considered it or anything. Seems just fine to me.

Oh Najeroni, you're using the same display? I think it's goofy getting them popping open to the left.

Anyhow I'm asking over at the "WideScreen Gaming Forum"

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/

See if they have a solution.

ALOHA

Say I'm still trying to figure if I'm getting the Brightness and Contrast correct on this thing. Here is a screenshot of the post here on my NEC 19" CRT:

http://img161.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen1zc.jpg

Would you say these are a pretty accurate interpretation of the colors?

At first the sections where we you read the words displayed in the post, I was sure on this LCD if that was suppose to be some sort of off grey, or black, but here on my 19" CRT I can see this is Grey, at least that screenshot I'd consider correct colors of this forum, yes?

Here is a screenshot of my Nvidia display settings:

http://img83.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen7fb.jpg

THANKS

P.S. I guess I need to find one of these Monitor adjustment apps, or a site I can run some tests on it.

Personally I don't care to install any software for this if I don't need to, but I'd really like to get this as accurate as possible.

Ok from what I see all you did was turn the Gamma down a little.

Ok get this, when I have the XP logo screensaver running or in a game, I'm indoors and the surroundings are dark, in the middle of the screen at the bottom, just above where the Apple logo is, there is a light white glow at the bottom emitting upwards into what looks like a light white halo.

This is some what if a bummer because beyond this the display seems perfect.

So if you load a black wallpaper at the bottom in the middle are you seeing this white area also?

What's causing this?

Isn't it better to turn down the brightness instead of the gamma to save on the display?

THANKS

P.S. I wonder if this might have something to do with the taskbar glowing through, hmm

Najeroni said:
Yeah I'm using the same display. The locatio of them popping up hasn't affected me, and I'm on a 7900gt also. Here is my color settings, and here on Hardforums it looks perfect.

http://img226.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled29to.jpg

And here is what a post looks like.

http://img111.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled3al.jpg

Hey man nice setting what program are you using for those widget like things. I never had the real esate on my desktop, now with my fw900 its a different story. ;)

Crap someone on the Apple forum told me this:

It's backlight leakage. It happens with all LCDs to some extent. If it's excessive, which may be difficult to judge, then it could be a manufacturing defect.

I had this to tell them:

It's a pretty big area, with a black wallpaper you have to look for it, or if your sensitive to lighting like I am then you notice it right away. Personally I think the average person would not notice this.

Here is a screenshot:

http://img97.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen0ho.jpg

It covers the areas I circled. It's like a beam of light coming from the upper right corner I have noticed, it feels like a beam of light coming down from the sky that sort of effect, with someone that was going to paint this in a picture.

But the shade of white is extremely light, but after moving your head around a few times you begin to notice it, and it's easy to notice the glow in the upper right.

You can easily see the right side of the desktop is a shade, bit brighter.

THIS SUCKS :(

Guess I'm calling the shop to return it for another.

I read on a forum somone saying that the 23" has a leakage issue, is this true?

Is there a known issues with these having some background leakage at the moment?

THANKS

OK OK now I remember how this looks like. You ever had a blackwallpaper with white in it somewhere in a design or letters, and there was a very off white fuzzy glow that was showing around them?

I remember the first time I was exposed to it, this black wallpaper had white letters in it for some name and the letters had like this little white glow around them, very hazy and light white color looking.

You know the feeling when your eyes are tired and things you might look at have a haze to them, fuzzy look.

So from what I gather a dark wallpaper with lighter objects, letters, etc, in them you can see a glow around them. I had actually seen this too on my CRT.

So if you know what I am talking about here, that is about as bad as my leakage is, but because the two small patches at the bottom, they are a bit bothersome when gaming in dark scenes.

I take it from what I have seen of some LCDs, what I am experiencing is very mild, but I'm real sensitive to stuff and HECK for paying $1400 I want perfection, is that to much to ask.

You think the Mac store will take it back with a sligh hazy backlight leak? If not I'll just pay a restock fee and give it to them anyways, and take another one, UNLESS getting a LCD with nothing is like next to impossible.

The other thing I'd be nervous about getting next would be dead pixels.

THANKS

Sounds like you need to return your display. Hold out for one that you are happy with, it's tedious, but worth it in the long run.

caboosemoose said:
Sounds like you need to return your display. Hold out for one that you are happy with, it's tedious, but worth it in the long run.

Well I wonder if I can get a 23" ACD without any background leakage. I wonder if there will always be some to one extent or another.

Mine has some backlight leakage as well, but I just disregard it as every single LCD I have has it. My Dell 2005FPW had it, 2405FPW, and Viewsonic VX2025.

As for the widgets on my setup, it is just a weather widget for Konfabulator known as : WideScape Weather.

What you can try doing is taking that one back, and having them open ones up for you until you find one that is acceptable for you. I agree that for the price you paid you should have everything that you except from the screen, hopefully the Apple store will agree.

Well I returned it, they agreed, but they said if I had this problem again, they would have to return it to have it fixed.

I look at it like this, WHY do I need to go through this, I just bought it I figure I'll just return and have you give me a new one, until I find one that works, I figure let them deal with sending it back.

But then we thought on this and figured what if all of them I get has this problem, then it might be simpler to return it and have them replace the panel, then hopefully it will be ok.

I guess TWO thoughts to this idea.

Anyhow I picked up another 23" ACD, get it home, plugged in and push the power button and guess what, it doesn't turn ON, ahhhhhh.

Now another problem, CRAP. Well I'm hoping it's just the little adpater that is blown is all, but then I said to myself where the HECK is the quality control around here, don't they test the FRIGGIN things before shipping them out to make sure they work, and don't have problems. It doesn't look like it to me.

And to TOP it off, this is the FIRST time I have ever purchased a Apple product, and I tell you what, this is not looking good.

In ALL BLOODY HONESTY, this 23" ACD is the BEST LCD, for gaming? Because I'm about ready to just say give me my money back, and I'll look at something else.

But just don't mention the NAME -----> Dell :(

ALOHA

I think I'll just get my money back from this Apple, these things aren't looking so hot and they only come with a one year warranty and 2 more years will cost $250 making this damm thing $1600, when I can get a Viewsonic or Sony for three years for around $1000.

Anyhow I have my eyes on these two so far.

Viewsonic:
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/proseries/vp2330wb/
Priced at ZipZoomFly:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=232502

Sony:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...s&CategoryName=cpu_Displays_FlatPanelLCDs_20"

This thing sports a 8MS time, might be better then this Apple.

Don't forget the HP 2335. Mine had very nice even backlighting and great all-round HQ (prolly better than my new 3007 in that respect). And you can find the hp cheap, i reckon.

Back