Slow front USB ports

I was synching my iPod and noticed I was getting about 1.5mbps when using the front USB port on my system. I plugged it into the integrated rear port, and got my usual ~12mbps. I got a bit suspicious and benched a flash drive with Sandra, and sure enough, the front port seems top be running slow. This is my first system with a case with front ports - is this normal that it's dramatically slower? Having said that though, I copied a ~250mb file to the flash drive on both ports, and the transfer time was roughly the same.

It is not normal. Something may be set wrong in the bios (doubtful) but check for an update. Also make sure you have the latest drivers installed and all patches up to dte with MS.

hulksterjoe said:
also which board are you using? are you sure its 2.0 all around?
yep some older boards only support 2.0 on selected ports.

It's an A8N, so it's pretty new. Everything in the BIOS looks ok, and it's the most recent version. Everything is also patched and up to date. Device manager also shows all the ports as being 2.0. I've got a rear usb bracket, I'll try that on the header and see if the problem is on the board or the case. Is there such a thing as the port itself physically being usb 1.0?

Check out your case wiring as well. My Antec Plusview 1000 came with USB 1.0 wiring for the front connectors. Antec sent out new front panel and wiring for free.

Slippery said:
Check out your case wiring as well. My Antec Plusview 1000 came with USB 1.0 wiring for the front connectors. Antec sent out new front panel and wiring for free.

I've a feeling this is the problem. How can I tell if the wiring is different?

The 2 connectors (1.0 and 2.0) looked the same. I was alerted to the problem in the forums and then took my front panel to a friend who had the same m/b but a different case. After verifying the pinouts to be the same (m/b manuals) I plugged it in and sure enough, it had only 1.0 support. For you, go to m/b mfr and case mfr and nose around. Antec knew about my problem and took care of it right away. This happened when USB 2.0 just came out and their new cases were upgraded but a bunch slipped thru with 1.0 headers.

Good advice on swapping the wiring from the motherboard to the front ports. I have seen similar issues before with bad wiring.

Having said the above, time for some USB education. (Just to clear up some confusion.)
1. There is no such thing as USB 1.0
2. USB 2.0 replaces USB 1.1 , although it is common to call USB 2.0 Full Speed as USB 1.1 to avoid confusion.
3. There is no difference in USB wiring for USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 (both Full Speed and High Speed).
4. The cables for all USB have VBUS, D-, D+, Ground. (Some have shielding which adds 1 or 2 more ground pins)

If you have USB questions, ask away.

/usb lesson #1 :p

Nope. Generally, the more twists in the pair equal better performance. It is hard to tell when the wires are shielded.

Back