My Samsung 204B Review

Budwise

[H]ard|Gawd
Unfortunately i recently found 2 dead bright pixels in my 940B so i called up Samsung to ask about their policy. To my delight they were ready to replace it with a brand new 940B. Out of curiosity i asked if there was any way to upgrade to a 20" LCD and pay the difference. I was put on hold and to my surprise they said sure! I told them the model i wanted and said to fax them my reciept for the 940B. Now it did take some phone tag to finally get the deal finalized but after a week and a half i was told it was a $113 difference out of pocket for me to upgrade, SWEET! The price differenc of the LCD's on Newegg is considerably higher! So anyway, the 204B has now been here 2 days and i sent my 940B back today and now its time for my review.

Here it is on Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001226

Here are the specs:

Panel a-si TFT/TN LCD
Screen Size 20.1"
Display Type UXGA
Maximum Resolution 1600x1200
Recommended Resolution 1600x1200
Viewing Angle 160°(H) / 160°(V)
Pixel Pitch 0.255mm
Display Colours 16.7 Million
Brightness 300 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio 800:1
Response Time 5ms

SIZE / LOOKS

Good LCD gawd this thing is a beast to look at! In appearance it looks very similar to the 940B. In fact it is almost the exact same height, just considerably wider. For me this panel is the perfect medium between the square of 1280X1024 and the ultra WS 2007FPW and the like. The buttons at the bottom are identical to the 940B, small, and slightly raised, and the power button glows a cool blue when powered on. An interesting feature is the vertical rotation the panel supports. With the turn of the screen and a click on the Magic Rotate software the screen goes from wide screen to a tall profile great for viewing entire websites on one screen or word processing that requires alot of scrolling. One thing i noticed was the cable management had to be sacrificed for the vertical rotation feature of this panel as it has to have the ability to let the cables swing over to the side with the panel. No biggie though as the loop on the back serves as a replacement that works great for me. Also you'll notice in the pictures that this stand is full adjustable unlike the smaller 940B brother. A simple pull of the silver pin in the back and the screen slides up and down. Indeed they could have made something a little sturdier than a metal pin for adjustment, but it works! It was perfect for me as i can now put my Z5300e center channel speaker right below the screen for my gaming enjoyment.

204B%20Comparison.jpg

204B%20Cable%20Management.jpg

204B%20Vertical.jpg

204B%20Wide%20View.jpg

I give it a 9.5/10 as the only deduction being the height adjustment method and the cable management isnt the best.

INSTALLATION

This LCD did fine as a plug and chug device, HOWEVER, there was an issue with gaming at first slimpse. Ill discuss that further in the gaming section. The only thing im really bummed about is the 60Hz refresh rate limit at 1600X1200. I do realize that no 1600X1200 panels offer 75Hz, but it sure would be nice if they did.

CALIBRATION / COLOR

So far for me the color on the panel has been downright amazing with no calibration necessary for me. The colors do seem a little richer than the 940B did, and i assume it is due to the 16.7 million colors vs 16.2 million. Although Samsung specs this panel to be 8 bit, i am not personally sure if that is to be believed or not. I will assume they would not lie, but anything is possible.

204B%20Closeup.jpg

10/10 for excellent color out of the box

IMAGE QUALITY

I have to say that as soon as i booted up to this screen and set it to 1600X1200 it was like night and day to the 1280X1024 panel. The high resolution and smaller pixel pitch makes the panel much sharper for everyday word processing, surfing, etc. The real estate alone is a blessing to those with cluttered desktops as the higher res really makes 20.1" feel even larger. Upon turning the desktop to a white background i did however find a single dark pixel, however with the smaller pixel size of the higher resolution panel i cant even see it unless im right up against the screen looking for it on a bright background. With the higher resolution, everything is noticably sharper including pictures, movies, and web surfing. Backlight bleeding is minimal and i only notice it a little during BIOS post, otherwise it doesnt bother me during normal use.

The largest complaint i have heard about on this panel is viewing angles being horrid. I have tried and tried to find how people are bothered by this panels viewing angles. Yes if you stand up and look down at the screen it doesnt look quite as good, but who uses their computer from up there? The vertical angles are not much worse if any than the 940B is. The only time that i found viewing angles to be a factor is when you turn the screen vertically because then it is so tall that your viewing angle is much steeper and that causes you to have to adjust the panel so that you make sure you are looking straight on or else it looses image quality. But for normal use, and for those of us who dont use our computers while bouncing up and down in our chair, this panel has no viewing angle problems.

204B%20Side%20View.jpg

204B%20Top%20View.jpg

9/10 for image quality due to the dead pixel although it is very minor

GAMES

This LCD is simply stunning for the gamer community! 1600X1200 is truly amazing if you have a video card that can handle it (overclocked X1900XTX for me). However, i told you earlier that there is something to watch out for. When i first swapped out the 940B for the 204B everything seemed fine (i didnt have the driver for the 940B installed). Then i went to test Battlefield 2 to find that the gameplay was very jerky and i was seeing a considerate amount of motion blurring and it was making my eyes strain. I was rather unhappy at that time as i hoped that 5ms would be enough to have some decent gaming. I turned on Vsync and that seemed to help but i was still unhappy. I was not accepting that this panel would perform so poorly so i decided to start over from scratch. REFORMAT TIME! After a clean copy of XP Pro was loaded back up i noticed that the text on the desktop looked less clear and crisp and that everything was kinda hazy. To my surprise unlike the 940B, the video card driver is like night and day with this panel. No vid driver and everything looked like hell, but as soon as i loaded up the 6.3's everything was back to crystal clear. I then installed the 204B driver from the Samsung CD. I proceeded to load up Battlefield 2 and to my delight it was butter, pure creamy smooth gameplay. Now im a happy camper! So just a word of advice, this panel may give you grief if your drivers are not up to par or not cleaned out before installing. The only other game i have played on this LCD is Oblivion and lets just say "gorgeous" and leave it at that. 1600X1200 greatly reduces the need for high AA and everything looks sharp and radiant. A+

10/10 for gaming, especially when comparing to other 20" panels. Ghosting is a non-issue. I dont have any gameplay movies made yet and i will do them upon request cuz if nobody wants em im not gonna take the time.

MOVIES

First thing i did was load up my favorite pron, just kidding :p I loaded up Full Metal Jacket to use as a testbed. The dark scenes with bright explosions and fast movement gave me a great test for color banding, ghosting, or motion blur. I watched almost the entire movie just cuz it looked so damn good! I rewound and rewatched the firefights and explosion scenes looking for color banding and came up with nothin. If this panel does exhibit color banding, i cant see it. Colors were rich and pleasant and seemed very accurate when comparing to my Sony Trinitron. Just as with gaming, there was no ghosting or motion blur. I also recognized that since the 1600X1200 is closer to WS than 1280X1024, the wide screen movies fit the screen alot better therefore you end up with a bigger viewing area.

10/10 for movies, i cant ask for better

FINAL WORDS

Overall i am very pleased with this panel. The high resolution is something that i now realise i will never be able to live without again. Its kinda like dual core CPU's, once you experience it you dont wanna go back to a single core. This panel although only 20.1" feels like a monster during use compared to my 940B. The extra inch and the added resolution is simply gravy. The viewing angles may be a problem for you if you like to bounce up and down in your chair or like to work while moving all over the place, if not they are not an issue. The colors and image quality are top notch in my opinion. The smaller pixel pitch makes everything a bit sharper and easier on the eyes. For gaming and movies i couldnt ask for more. Overall, its the performance of a 19" low response time LCD in a 20.1" higher resoluion package and that is exactly what i was looking for. 60Hz surprisingly has not been a problem for me even though i was a bit worried after my first gaming attempt. If you are looking for fast response time like a 19" panel but in a higher resolution 20" panel? Then i would not hesitate to recommend the 204B. I also have to give Samsung rather large props for their service as i know of no other company that would go the extra mile like they did for me.

The only other reivew of this panel i have found is here:
http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/reviews/article.php/3597426

Thanks for reading another one of my reviews! If you have any questions feel free to post it up!

UPDATE: 4/20/2006 8:15pm Central Time

I noticed while playing BF2 and visiting some sites like this one that the colors were very close but not quite perfect. So i installed Natural Color, rebooted, and NC seemed to tweak it to just right. Color is spot on now. I didnt even have to adjust anything. When you install NC just as with the 940B the colors change a little just from installing it. To me the 940B with NC seemed off so i never installed NC but with this 204B NC really seemed to set it perfect after the install.

nice review :) i'm glad you are happy with Samsung.
I just install my new Samsung 214T. OMG ! Its really BIG :)

greetings,

Peacemaker..

Let us know more about the gaming if you notice anything else. I love my Samsung 193P so much but I would like to get higher resolutions since I'm going sli sometime. I've been waiting for a deal on the monitor you bought. I'm specifically interested in the 5ms response rate of this monitor

Thread Starter, does the panel have screen door effect and do the pixels appear to be small. I am very interested in this monitor. Wouuld you be able to take a really close picture?

Shottah_king said:
Thread Starter, does the panel have screen door effect and do the pixels appear to be small. I am very interested in this monitor. Wouuld you be able to take a really close picture?

screen door effect? I dont think so. Yes the pixels are very small due to the high resolution. I can take a picture up close but my digital camera starts freaking out at a certain distance.

Flying Fox said:
IIRC that is not an 8-bit panel? So what about gradients and banding?

According to Samsung it is an 8bit panel, how can we know for sure? I dont know...

I mentioned color banding/gradients in the movie section.

Budwise said:
According to Samsung it is an 8bit panel, how can we know for sure? I dont know...

I mentioned color banding/gradients in the movie section.
Can you load up those gradient test pictures and report back?

thanks for the review. I bought this monitor today, and I am glad I read your driver hints.

plac said:
thanks for the review. I bought this monitor today, and I am glad I read your driver hints.

report back and tell us what you think...

Eagle156 said:
How is ghosting/gaming/color compared to the 940b?

It is overall very similar. No noticable ghosting that i have seen playing BF2 or Oblivion.

UPDATE:

I noticed while playing BF2 and visiting some sites like this one that the colors were very close but not quite perfect. So i installed Natural Color, rebooted, and NC seemed to tweak it to just right. Color is spot on now. I didnt even have to adjust anything. When you install NC just as with the 940B the colors change a little just from installing it. To me the 940B with NC seemed off so i never installed NC but with this 204B NC really seemed to set it perfect after the install.

I'm going to BB to pick one up today. My CC rewards program gave me 500 bucks in BB gift cards so it's "free".

I think it's the best monitor I can get locally and besides the NEC model probably the best all-around LCD period.

Curses! You got me to buy the 940B, and now you're making me want to upgrade to this! Do you know if they're willing to do upgrades without a faulty panel (I do have one dead pixel, but its not bright and I never really notice it).

I'm very happy with the 940B other than a bit of backlight bleeding across the bottom, but its still miles ahead of my old 20 inch crt, especially for carrying to lan parties. After seeing some widescreen panels at circuit city however, I sort of wished I had gone straight to WS.

The only problem in my case of making an upgrade to a 20 inch panel is the resolution; my computer would die trying to run 1600x1200 with decent settings on todays games, and I have a feeling that a lower resolution would look worse than the default resolution on the 940B (If you havent sent the 940B back yet it would be awesome if you could do a comparison on similar resolutions).

Thanks for the great review!

KillerPotato said:
Curses! You got me to buy the 940B, and now you're making me want to upgrade to this! Do you know if they're willing to do upgrades without a faulty panel (I do have one dead pixel, but its not bright and I never really notice it).

I'm very happy with the 940B other than a bit of backlight bleeding across the bottom, but its still miles ahead of my old 20 inch crt, especially for carrying to lan parties. After seeing some widescreen panels at circuit city however, I sort of wished I had gone straight to WS.

The only problem in my case of making an upgrade to a 20 inch panel is the resolution; my computer would die trying to run 1600x1200 with decent settings on todays games, and I have a feeling that a lower resolution would look worse than the default resolution on the 940B (If you havent sent the 940B back yet it would be awesome if you could do a comparison on similar resolutions).

Thanks for the great review!

LOL... Samsung should pay me...

If you dont have a vid card that can push 1600X1200 in modern games then i wouldnt really worry about moving up to a 20" as you wouldnt be able to take advantage of it. Thankfully my X1900XTX can now stretch its legs...

And no, they dont usually even do upgrades. I have a friend who has what he calls "Bad backlight bleeding" on his 940B so he called Samsung and tried to swing the same deal and they told him "We dont do upgrades for the price difference". LoL. I guess i got some noobcake who told me they would do it and locked them into the upgrade. So dont be surprised if you are told no to an upgrade.

As for RMAing, Samsung has a 0 Dead "Bright" pixel policy, dark ones are a different story.

something really weird with my 204B.

In Counterstrike, I'd alt-tab to desktop between deaths to check mail and surf. This would take a full 10 seconds for each transition with my 19"CRT. This new 20" LCD, it takes 1 second to get to desktop. Somehow the monitor effected this swapping in a massive way.

plac said:
something really weird with my 204B.

In Counterstrike, I'd alt-tab to desktop between deaths to check mail and surf. This would take a full 10 seconds for each transition with my 19"CRT. This new 20" LCD, it takes 1 second to get to desktop. Somehow the monitor effected this swapping in a massive way.

Sounds like a bonus to me!

any of the little lines you see are due to the digital camera but you could still see color banding if there was any present.

Color%20Tests%201.jpg

Color%20Tests%202.jpg

And my new wallpaper :)
Color%20Tests%203.jpg

I just got mine and it works great out of the box.

Only issue is that I get an error that my system does not support MagicTune?

I have a 1900XT which isn't on the compatibility list.

End result is it plays games fine atm with just a bare hint of kinda blurring when I whip my view around but the color, contrast and overall effect is superb.

9/10 so far.

spaceman said:
I just got mine and it works great out of the box.

Only issue is that I get an error that my system does not support MagicTune?

I have a 1900XT which isn't on the compatibility list.

End result is it plays games fine atm with just a bare hint of kinda blurring when I whip my view around but the color, contrast and overall effect is superb.

9/10 so far.

Ya, i got that blur at first but after a reformat and clean drivers etc i dont see it anymore. Ya too bad our vid cards arent on the compatibility list. Oh well, i never liked Magic Tune anyway.

Hey I was the one who posted about the color banding on this 204b monitor and just returned it...

Was great other than for graphic design or photo editing. The viewing angle is so limited that there is a major vertical shift in brightness of the screen. No matter how I adjust, the top of the screen remains significantly darker than the bottom. The contrast is on this thing is also a problem. It's not balanced and although colors seem rich, a lot of detail is lost. If you are doing graphics related work, save yourself the headache.

In Photoshop for instance if you have a blue document the top of the blue doc is always darker than the lower part no matter how I position or moved crap around... not acceptable for design work. Though the color always looked nice and bright, it look as it always had a gradient applied.

I have been reading good things about the NEC 20WMGX2 with it's 1600:1 contrast ratio might do the trick for Graphic design work...?

cyrk said:
Hey I was the one who posted about the color banding on this 204b monitor and just returned it...

Was great other than for graphic design or photo editing. The viewing angle is so limited that there is a major vertical shift in brightness of the screen. No matter how I adjust, the top of the screen remains significantly darker than the bottom. The contrast is on this thing is also a problem. It's not balanced and although colors seem rich, a lot of detail is lost. If you are doing graphics related work, save yourself the headache.

In Photoshop for instance if you have a blue document the top of the blue doc is always darker than the lower part no matter how I position or moved crap around... not acceptable for design work. Though the color always looked nice and bright, it look as it always had a gradient applied.

I have been reading good things about the NEC 20WMGX2 with it's 1600:1 contrast ratio might do the trick for Graphic design work...?

Sounds like you may have gotten a bad one. As you can see in my photo's of the color banding test, the top and the bottom are equally bright. I havent experienced it at all. i do use Photoshop CS2 on a regular basis as well (not professionally) and have not seen any such problem so far. Ive gone through ALOT of pictures with this monitor too and have not seen any brightness discrepencies from top to bottom.

Intersting... I might try another one as it was pretty good other than that HUGE issue for me.

Yeah it's a good panel IMO. I haven't noticed anything at all differerent from my FW900 besides the size and the color is better with the 204B. Looks great with an 1900XT/DVI

Budwise said:
As for RMAing, Samsung has a 0 Dead "Bright" pixel policy, dark ones are a different story.

Unfortunately it's only within the first 30 days of purchase

good, thorough review! i had this monitor before i switched to the gateway fpd2185w...the only reason why i switched was cause i wanted widescreen, but other than that, the samsung was an awesome monitor! it was a world of difference going from my 17in 1998 CRT HP monitor LOL...but yea the samsung is a great one

scwam said:
Unfortunately it's only within the first 30 days of purchase

not really true as i bought my 940B in October and i RMAed it a few weeks ago with a nice bright dead pixel right in the middle of the screen. They even had my reciept which i faxed into them for price and date verification. They said their LCD's carry a 3 year warranty when i spoke with them.

That's strange. My box included a pamphlet that stated it had a 30 day bright/dark dot warantee and the 3 year warantee was separate from that.

Budwise have you tried any older games...maybe something at 800x600 ?

Man that looks like a monitor....how would you guys compare it to the viewsonic2025?

thanks big time for info...I see that BB wants 450 for it.

Budwise where can I get that pic :)
sweeeeeet

sparks

sparks said:
Budwise have you tried any older games...maybe something at 800x600 ?

Man that looks like a monitor....how would you guys compare it to the viewsonic2025?

thanks big time for info...I see that BB wants 450 for it.

Budwise where can I get that pic :)
sweeeeeet

sparks

havent tried any lower resolutions yet. I give BF2 a whirl at 800X600 sometime this week.

I got the wallpaper at 3dscrew.com

Have you tried a fast fps like UT2004 on the 204b? I been using the new 215tw widescreen for a couple days and I don't notice ghosting either in BF2 or WoW. It isn't until I play UT2004 that it rears its ugly head. I do notice just a tad in COD 2 as well.

Back