Voltmodded 7900GT vs X1900XT

aiya

[H]ard|Gawd
i currently have a evga 7900GT but can get a X1900XT for cheap. would a 1.4 voltmodded 7900GT be as fast as a X1900XT? card is going into a SN25P shuttle. will add aftermarket cooling.

I would first try the volt mod and see what you get. You can get amazing performance out of those cards. I don't think the X1900XT would be reasonable if you volt mod it.

the x1900xt will run @ xtx "and higher" speeds without a volt mod (or in this case, overvolting),

and yes , it will smoke the 7900gt even running @ 7900gtx clocks ,

I dont think 'smoke' would be the proper term. A X1900XTX is about equivalent to a 7900GTX. One card may have better strenghts than the other.

DangerIsGo said:
I dont think 'smoke' would be the proper term. A X1900XTX is about equivalent to a 7900GTX. One card may have better strenghts than the other.

you are right frame 4 frame they might be close ,

but when you put HQAF , hdr+AA, and the IQ advantage on x1900 side and still have same framerates or better then 7900gtxoc,

thats not smoking , thats pwnage

Right now ATi is the only one that can do HDR + AA...im sure nvidia will do it soon . AF any card can max...well most any card. IQ? So the x1900xtx is smarter? :p They are close cards. Which is to be expected since they are both company's high end model.

DangerIsGo said:
Right now ATi is the only one that can do HDR + AA...im sure nvidia will do it soon . AF any card can max...well most any card. IQ? So the x1900xtx is smarter? :p They are close cards. Which is to be expected since they are both company's high end model.

IQ = image quality. HQAF at high resolutions is a pretty costly performance hit on nVidia, and none at all on ATi.

yea ati is great. which is why on this thread there is only 1 ati owner, the rest nvidia 7800/7900 owners. much like every other thread on this forum except for "ati flavor". so i guess the majority of people here are buying inferior video cards because....?

yeah i kinda don't get it. all these praises of ati yet they own a nvidia card :eek: . thats all fun and great i know all the differences in IQ and AA+HDR, etc. i am just asking if you were to voltmod a 7900GT could it be as fast as a X1900XT. would it justify to puchase a X1900XT for cheap if i could get the same or close to performance from a voltmodded 7900GT.

vanilla_guerilla said:
so i guess the majority of people here are buying inferior video cards because....?

It's cheaper.

Because at the time I bought my 7800GT CO, there was no reasonably priced ATi equivalent. I then step-uped to a 7900GT SC.

i did the same. i guess i'll keep it and voltmod since its going in a shuttle anyway, the less heat i can have in there the better.

vanilla_guerilla said:
yea ati is great. which is why on this thread there is only 1 ati owner, the rest nvidia 7800/7900 owners. much like every other thread on this forum except for "ati flavor". so i guess the majority of people here are buying inferior video cards because....?

Exactly, I don't know why. Maybe they are retarded. I don't know. You tell me?

I'm an EX-7800 owner. Because the best game in town is not Nv... Right now.

Sorry for ranting folks. Shuttles have a different requirement system. They are by no means bad cards.

+1 ATI owner =p

Id get the ATI the 7900GT will still hve 256ram no matter how much vmodding u do! which will never put it as fast as a 7900GTX

The only issue I have right now with my x1900xtx is heat but ATI says the temps on it are ok :confused: 51c idle and about 79c under load. I have the option to change out for the 7900GTX OC but do not know what the hell to do.

Right now running 7800GT OC in SLI but will I take a performance hit by using eather of the two 512MB single cards above? :confused:

decapitator said:
The only issue I have right now with my x1900xtx is heat but ATI says the temps on it are ok :confused: 51c idle and about 79c under load. I have the option to change out for the 7900GTX OC but do not know what the hell to do.

Right now running 7800GT OC in SLI but will I take a performance hit by using eather of the two 512MB single cards above? :confused:

That's about normal. It's not really an issue so long as the card runs the games and all is table.

It was mean't to operate at those temps.

ElMoIsEviL said:
That's about normal. It's not really an issue so long as the card runs the games and all is table.

It was mean't to operate at those temps.

Thanks for the reply, one other question,in the CCC I ulocked the OC utility and let it try to overclock my card to a safe reading and after it was done my Frycry game would lock up. Is it a bad utility for OC?

Just a stupid suggestion, but has anyone put a volt modded 7900GT @ 800/1075 head to head against a 7900GTX stock?

DangerIsGo said:
Just a stupid suggestion, but has anyone put a volt modded 7900GT @ 800/1075 head to head against a 7900GTX stock?

also, does voltmodded 7900GT SLI equal 7900GTX SLI? dude that would save me more than a couple bucks if it does...

look at the 3dmark06 rankings on this forum. i put my voltmodded 7900gt sli(1.4v with stock cooling) up against 1900xxx crossfire, 7900gtx sli, etc and the only rigs to top my score are 2 7800gtx 512 sli rigs(not by much) and 1 7900gtx sli rig. goes the same way on the orb with 3d06 and 3d05. so yeah, 7900gt voltmodded will outrun just about anything, and at a lower price. but yea "its only 3dmark"

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1028870606&postcount=23

thanks vanilla_guerilla, that is good info. i think im now gonna get 2 x 7900GT instead of 1 x1900xtx as i originally planned...

vanilla_guerilla said:
look at the 3dmark06 rankings on this forum. i put my voltmodded 7900gt sli(1.4v with stock cooling) up against 1900xxx crossfire, 7900gtx sli, etc and the only rigs to top my score are 2 7800gtx 512 sli rigs(not by much) and 1 7900gtx sli rig. goes the same way on the orb with 3d06 and 3d05. so yeah, 7900gt voltmodded will outrun just about anything, and at a lower price. but yea "its only 3dmark"

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1028870606&postcount=23

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1029328550&postcount=608

;)

film said:
thanks vanilla_guerilla, that is good info. i think im now gonna get 2 x 7900GT instead of 1 x1900xtx as i originally planned...

I wouldn't move so fast.

This is 3D Mark.. NOT a game.. games have shown that they perform better with 512MB cards then 256MB cards.

Two 256MB cards do NOT equal a 512MB card. Alot of the same texture data is duplicated.

In games a Crossfired x1900XTX rig will beat these Volt moded 7900GT's for the most part. Also you can relax knowing your x1900XTX's are covered under warranty. Also you don't need to volt mod an x1900XTX. You can raise the voltages via software.. ;)

7x00 series is old tech.

well i will put the question again. if the 1900xxx is spectacular new tech, cheap, better image quality, etc, why are the vast majority of folks on this forum, at forums, xtremesys.org, overclockers.com forums and even rage3d using "old tech" nvidia cards? i am not trying to star a flame war, i am just wondering if there is any real answer to this, or are we taking manufacturer's hype regarding their cards a bit too seriously. i know that when i am running down a hallway or in a gun fight in f.e.a.r. or quake 4 i couldnt tell if hdr was on or off.

vanilla_guerilla said:
well i will put the question again. if the 1900xxx is spectacular new tech, cheap, better image quality, etc, why are the vast majority of folks on this forum, at forums, xtremesys.org, overclockers.com forums and even rage3d using "old tech" nvidia cards? i am not trying to star a flame war, i am just wondering if there is any real answer to this, or are we taking manufacturer's hype regarding their cards a bit too seriously. i know that when i am running down a hallway or in a gun fight in f.e.a.r. or quake 4 i couldnt tell if hdr was on or off.

because Nvidia had the 7800cards out while ATI only had the X850 to compete with it ;P so most people who wanted an upgrade from the 6800/x850 only had one road to go down ;)

More people go with nividia because theres more hype with them. Even hardocp bashs on ATI besides there last reveiw which is a first. Because of nvidias wining streak people have been choosing them also. Another factor I think is that there SLI is superior to crossfire. ATI has also been late to the gate with there cards compared to Nvidia. Theres also a lot of nvidia fan boys obivously that are in denial about X1900 cards.

vanilla_guerilla said:
yea your are 15 points higher than me but my vid card score is higher than yours, your cpu score is higher than mine.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=236296

Correction, your SM 2.0 score is higher than mine. SM 3.0 is lower than mine. :cool:
Don't forget that your comparing your overclocked cards to cards running 100% default clocks. ;)

I love the pair of 7900GT's that I have and recommend them to anyone looking to spend over $250 on a video card.

SLI and CS are just not necessary. It costs 2X as much for only about 1.4X the performance. The power needed and heat produced are also a factor. My advice, get the fastest single card you can afford. Dual card solutions are video card manufactures way of making more money without having improve on the current product.

Budwise said:
SLI and CS are just not necessary. It costs 2X as much for only about 1.4X the performance. The power needed and heat produced are also a factor. My advice, get the fastest single card you can afford. Dual card solutions are video card manufactures way of making more money without having improve on the current product.
Excellent point.

Im pretty sure (like 100%) that the only reason there are more nvidia users right now than ATI is more mature and comparaitively cheaper SLI motherboards. I would say the gap is closing though, the recent poll on this forum showed ownership of the high end cards were very close.

i wouldnt really compare a 7900gt to a x1900xt..they are 512mb cards not 256 like the 7900gt and they are 150+ dollars more so of course it is better than a stock 7900gt. Overclock the 7900gt to reach 7900gtx/x1900xt speeds (wont be exactly the same performace but close duh) and save 150+ dollars. I oced my 7800gt to 7800gtx 256 speeds and compared results and mine performed better than a reference 7800gtx 256 therefore saving some money :)

so what is a 300 dollar ati card that would be better for comparison? stop comparing an obviously better card with a cheaper, less ram blah blah card. bleh 7900gt does run a LOT cooler..in the 30's idle with stock :) the 7900gtx as well.

seems like a 7900gt and a x1800xt (256/512 versions) seems like a better comparison to compare them head on with stock speeds..seeing both are 256 and around the same price.

i was just looking @ anandtech and it looks like the x1900xt is below the 7900gtx and the x1900xtx slightly above itwith the 7900gt even fruther below all 3..so end of story...x1900xt is better than a stock 7900gt and probably most oc'ed 7900gt's.

moderator close this thread LOL

i've finally decided to get the X1900XT and sell my evga 7900GT CO SC. thanks for the replies everyone.

Back