revolution name is gone. Long live....

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's just retarded. I can see why (lol) but I liked the Revolution name better. Let's wait till E3 so that they can confirm this, though.

wtf?

revolution was a perfect name.

might as well just call it "third place again".

Anyone care to cut and paste the article text for those of us who are unable to read this latest batch of sillyness at the present time?

steviep said:
That's just retarded. I can see why (lol) but I liked the Revolution name better. Let's wait till E3 so that they can confirm this, though.
I think being on the nintendo website may be confirmation enough?
Then again this is pretty unexpected news, dumb if you ask me, so i guess more confirmation wouldnt hurt.

The Big N explained the decision behind the name in a statement, which we've provided below:

Introducing... Wii.
As in "we."

While the code-name Revolution expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer. Wii will break down that wall that seperates videogame players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their games... and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?

Wii sounds like "we," which emphasizes the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.

Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people playing it. And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of videogames that sets it apart from the crowd.

So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything.

I'm gonna go play with my wii? lol man, oh man... they'd better explain themselves better at E3. The animation at revolution.nintendo.com helps, though.

How the hell did Nintendo think this would make a good name? Wii (pronounced 'wee'). Whats next? is sony gonna change PS3 to 'DuuDuu'?

With a name like that you can guarantee that Sony and MS's sales are gonna Wii all over Nintendo's.

You can imagine the conversations now.

"So what console you got? 360? PS3?"
" I got a Wii"
"Bathrooms first door on your right"

Well done Nintendo. Just when i was thinking about buying one.

(still will, even with the stupid name) :D

"I want to order a wii."
"A what?!?!"
"Yes, gimmie my wieeeee"
"O Rly??"
"Ya Rly"
"OOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKK"

Gonna buy two so I can say "Im gonna go home and play with my Wii Wii!".

I knew whatever they came up with wouldn't top "Revolution", can't say it really matters. Let's face it, the only name that they couldn't lose with is "Super Nintendo Chalmers".

How did they go from the best name in the 3 console manufacturers to the worst name?

Thank God the logo is at least decent, if you haven't seen it yet. I still find the name kinda dumb, and I'm sure will be on the brunt end of a lot of juvenile jokes until people play with the machine. They must've hired Intel's marketing department (ViiV, Wii)!

Skirrow said:
How the hell did Nintendo think this would make a good name? Wii (pronounced 'wee'). Whats next? is sony gonna change PS3 to 'DuuDuu'?
I'm going with the Sony Püp.

I'm sorry, this is the stupidest name ever. It sounded awesome if you said, "I'm going to go buy a revolution," but now it's "I'm going to go buy a wii?" There have been lots of stupid names for consoles, but this one is hands-down the stupidest. I'll still get one, but I think there'll be lots of people that won't get one simply because of the idiotic name, I'm sorry to say.

Revolution sounds and appeals to people a LOT better imo.

I mean come on, the "Revolution" just sounds cooler and more mature, the "Wii" Sounds like it's a kiddie platform. Like somethin you'd buy your nephew to play pokemon games on.

They revealed the Gamecube as the StarCube, if you remember correctly. People had the same reaction when the name "iPod" was revealed. People had the same reaction when Sony revealed the boomerang.

Well, honestly, my gut reaction is the same thing when I first saw the revolution controller. A big "What in the HELL?" But that quickly changed to "...AWESOME."

I'll give the new name a chance... maybe I'll buy two and I'll have "wii wii!"

that name makes no sence at all. xbox sounds cool, playstation is a long lived name that had a reputation, heck, even gamecube is pretty cool. why would they name something Wii,,, Ever?

Acording to them its about the community, not the single player or the console...

"So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because, it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything."

they could call it "gamecube 2" and i wouldn't give it two thoughts about buying one

I think you guys sumed it all up... first they reinvent the nintendo brand with revolution and now they're trying to wii on their brand... oh man.... wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

If I do get one I think I'll just go old school and say

"I'm going to play Nintendo."

or

"Wanna play some Nintendo?"

This little console went wiii wiii wiii all the way to the bottom shelf. What the hell was wrong with Revolution, that was a kick ass name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back