Make D5 / 655 Pump Quiet? or *gasp* SILENT!?!?!

el rolio

2[H]4U
hey. my pump is the loudest thing in my case. i can't turn the speed down and it really doesnt quiet it down much either. its attached thru the neoprene pad.

HOW CAN I MAKE IT MORE QUIET?!?! it is so damn loud. nothing else in the case makes noise besides the psu fan which im slowing down anyway. WHAT can i do?

any and all suggestions welcome. and let me know if i need to encase it in foam or supn!

Your pump doesn't have the potentiometer on the back to dial down the speed? :confused: I thought all the 655s had that?

sound absorbant foam? dynamat?

some carpet or foam against the wall behind the computer can help.

is the vibration transferring to the case? can you feel the case resonating if you touch it?

are you using the old style res than came with the apex, or the newer version?

do you have any tight bends or kinks in your tubing runs?

since dialing down the pump doesn't help much, i'm thinking entrained air or cavitation noise.........

How do you have the pump attached to the case exactly. If you are using screws, and just have it sitting on a neoprene pad, the neoprene isn't doing much good. You still have a connection between the pump and the case in the screws and bolts.

You can encase the pump in neoprene if you want, it should help the noise a bit. It might also very slightly increase the heat dump the pump puts into the water because slightly less heat would be lost in the air because the pump is now insulated. Most of the pumps heat is already dissipated into the water already though.

qdemn7 said:
Your pump doesn't have the potentiometer on the back to dial down the speed? :confused: I thought all the 655s had that?

sorry lemme clarify. when i said i CANT turn the speed down i meant i WONT turn it down cuz well... i have a storm block and a triple radiator + 2 gfx cards. i need all the flow i can get...

AND

i've turned it down before, it doesnt make it quiet enough until you go below 3, more into the 2 speed range and well thats just not usable for me. so i WONT turn it down.

other options?

for daishi

el rolio said:
check it out, i put in the final choice optie of my 3, refined my fan wiring and took some pics. here is the gallery

r3vo+pc ºº Thermochill PA 120.3 Loop Upgrade ºº

and a few choice pics:

--

--

--

--
And finally: the shot on the kitchen table: showing the hot and cold sides of the rad water temps on the aquaero as well as the temps in bios on startup. CABQE for the win!

:D !

will post the info on the detail shots from the web gallery later / tomorrow

no the there is no problems with the loop. im saying that i have reduced the noise on everything else, i dont want to hear ANYTHING but the fain whoosh of airflow IF AT ALL. you have a powerbook? a quiet laptop? i want it to be like that. and right now the only thing making noise is the pump.

i like the idea of wrapping it, i want the absolute best choice not the shoddy low quality foam i cant afford to try a buncha different brands and stuff ALSO i'd rather pay once for the right stuff and know how to do it the RIGHT way.

thanks so much for hte help so far guys, keep it coming!
check my worklog for more pics if you interested or my watercooling strategies

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1029389724#post1029389724

Acoustipack works quiet well for deadening and quieting a case. Sorbothane is going to work MUCH better than that piece of foam you currently have the pump sitting on. Looks like your pump is simply roo close to other case components and the case is resonating to the pump.

yay! now we are getting somewhere!!

ok so i replace teh pad with a newer better pad. note well that the pump is not touching anything but the base pad and by connection the bottom of hte case, made sure of that part. so its off from the hdd cage by 3mm or so, clearly away from the psu and away from the side of the case (you can see it in some of hte pics that are from an angle)

as for the acoustipak, i love that general pak on first glance, where i can put some blocks in open non airflow spaces. what about the pump, can i cut a hole out for it in a big block of the sound dampening foam and then encase it in that?

el rolio said:
what about the pump, can i cut a hole out for it in a big block of the sound dampening foam and then encase it in that?
Don't see why not, as long as the pump doesn't get too hot.

I find that the tempur-pedic stuff works really well. I've got my pump epoxied to the foam, then the foam clamped into the case. It's pretty quiet at 3.

Free tempur pedic pad

This was originally posted on OCF. Don't remember who right now.

thanks cap'n, i will have to search for that actual thread to see what it looked like

tempur-pedic website said:
We Have Received Your FREE Demonstration Kit Request!

Captain Helghas said:
I find that the tempur-pedic stuff works really well. I've got my pump epoxied to the foam, then the foam clamped into the case. It's pretty quiet at 3.

Free tempur pedic pad

This was originally posted on OCF. Don't remember who right now.

oh and can i see a pic of yours pleeeeeeeaase?

Okay let me ask you this, does your pump sound noisy when you had the side window panel on or off?

bail_w said:
Okay let me ask you this, does your pump sound noisy when you had the side window panel on or off?

uh sure, its about the same noise, i mean i have a big sheet of sound dapening mat attached to my side panel so i encloses some of hte noise as any side panel would when you close a case up

Captain Helghas said:
I find that the tempur-pedic stuff works really well. I've got my pump epoxied to the foam, then the foam clamped into the case.
It will also make your pump feel very comfortable and relaxed.

"Hanging" the Laing pumps actually quiets things down quite a bit, though it doesn't look like you have much room for that. Encapsulating it in foam shouldn't affect temperatures enough to register - the casing absorbs very little of the motor's heat output.

phide said:
It will also make your pump feel very comfortable and relaxed.

"Hanging" the Laing pumps actually quiets things down quite a bit, though it doesn't look like you have much room for that. Encapsulating it in foam shouldn't affect temperatures enough to register - the casing absorbs very little of the motor's heat output.

awesome, good to know. so i wonder, wrap it in some of the sticky sided dampening? then cut out its general shape from a solid block of foam and then just put that over it and maybe tape it down?

well folks, since i had this thread going at XS as well they have made a bit more progress there than here, so lemme try and summarize the progress made and general points made:

some actual silence enthusiasts showed up who also experience the same hate for the full power whirr/hum of the 655. they also made me double check the contact with the hdd cage etc, anyway - i have to replace the pad its on and use a few more soft silicone washers to really get it mounted softly to the case.

we also turned it down, i was convinced to try so i got it to whats like 3 - 3.5 type speed on the pot, losing a degree or 2 which is as much as i can spare.

also learnt that in highly restrictive loops such as mine, the new upgraded DDC+ pumps, (which can be modded to use 1/2" barbs) basically achieve the same flow and performance as the d5. therefore i could actually solve all of this by spending around $100 and get a DDC+ matched for my system and acheive the quietness i need. i'm gonna try silencing first eh?

what else? ima try quote some of hte sound clipping posts that demonstrate EXACTLY the sound i hear from this damn pump. oh and im definately wrapping this thing up in paxmate, then cuttin a mold out frrom a nice block of acoustipak or similar and encasing the pump in that. the heatdump might be more (which makes more of a case for the DDC+ since its drastically less heatdump) but i might be able to handle it.

el rolio said:
FOUND IT! have a listen folks and you will hear what my machine sounds like!!!

http://www.cooling-masters.com/images/articles/laing2/images/mp3/d5.mp3

the first of the noises is with the pot at 5 where i believe i have to run it to get the system to perform. basically i can hear that + a lil fan "whoosh" noise and what must obviously be some vibration noise but not much.... cuz the main TONE of the sound is that of the pump, but that loud ass whirrrr is what is driving me mad and as we can see from the webpage
http://www.cooling-masters.com/articles-33-14.html
it is almost 38db!!! killing me! every fan in my case is at about 5v, except for the psu fans which are on a fan controllor but already slow and at about 7v like i said, all with rubberr grommits or washers between screw and metal.

now the ddc: http://www.cooling-masters.com/images/articles/laing2/images/mp3/ddc.mp3
more water whooosh, less whirr/hummm

:D

another person who knows what im talking about
mion said:
If anybody is building quiet system my recomendation is not to get mcp655/d5 this comes from my experience. Mcp655/d5 makes noise that I can even describe, more like hard drive when is just spinning just amplified. I build quiet system before and now and mcp655 was always the noises part of it. I have modded mcp350 which is really quiet and nicely blends in with pc noise. Although my has slight defect and buzzes.

and again i know anytime i make a thread about silence i get a lotta disbelivers, but the point is, when you have sensitive ears and goals for your noise tolerance, its usually way beyond the regular computer user.... but i still make these threads cuz the folks who know EVENTUALLY come out to help

Keep the thread going El Rolio. I'm currently shopping around for parts and I want the quiet you're striving for too. As it sits I've only decided on the PA120.3 rad, and the Storm Rev 2 CPU block. I'm up in the air on the pump AC or DC. I'm leaning towards the D5/MCP655 at the moment. I'd be interested to know if you're able to quiet this thing without extraordianry means.

jcurry said:
Keep the thread going El Rolio. I'm currently shopping around for parts and I want the quiet you're striving for too. As it sits I've only decided on the PA120.3 rad, and the Storm Rev 2 CPU block. I'm up in the air on the pump AC or DC. I'm leaning towards the D5/MCP655 at the moment. I'd be interested to know if you're able to quiet this thing without extraordianry means.

oh dont you worry buddy, i always win. i will get it done.

for you though, just go for the ddc+ from now mane. since you have not purchased yet you have maximum flexability so you can do 1/2" barbs, 3/8" barbs, it'll be all good.

for your res definately get the swiftie micro res, like in me pics its pwn.

go to alphacool's website so you can see the different variations of the pump. post back here n stuff if/when you want more tips on what to get n shit. oh and i can tell you what sound dampening sheets to NOT get. :p

jcurry said:
I'd be interested to know if you're able to quiet this thing without extraordianry means.
There's only so much one can do.

If you really want 655 performance, you really need the 655. If you guys are fairly handy, you may try constructing a small acoustic iso-box (of sorts). A properly constructed iso-box could give you about 20dB of attenuation at the annoying mid-hi range of the frequency spectrum and excellent high frequency attenuation. Imagine a small wood cube roughly 5"x5"x5" with a couple holes for tubing (and a tiny one for wiring). The expended casing heat would just stagnate until the interior of the box reaches an equilibrium, at which point it would begin to dump entirely into the coolant. Figure 3-5 watts. Maybe $15 for materials, and $30 for really nice materials.

Or, if you have the coin, grab a couple 50Zs. I would have gone with a few of them had they been in stock at the time I was buying. As an all-around good pump, they really can't be beat.

I've not noticed the sound yet, but I'm not looking for it!

Here's an idea I don't think has been suggested yet. All you need is some plastic shopping bags, expanding foam and tools. Skoosh a little foam in to a plastic bag, and while it is setting press the D5 pump halfway profile on to the outside of the plastic bag, (obviously so the pump doesn't come into contact with the expanding foam - it's a bitch to remove). Let the foam set, remove the pump and you have one half of a perfect mould. Then repeat again with the opposite profile. Join both halves together and you have a very snug moulded enclosure for the pump! Use a knife to trim the set foam to suit and give it a paint to make it a aesthetically pleasing. You could try both halves at the same time if you are quick, and will separate easily because of the plastic bags. Use a screwdriver to pierce a hole to get to the adjustment pot if required.

I used this method for creating the mould for a camera case for a friend a while ago and works well.

Mysterae said:
*snip
I used this method for creating the mould for a camera case for a friend a while ago and works well.

great idea. i definately wanted to cut a mold outta one of those cubes of sound dampening form acoustipak deluxe set or whaddeva. but this may work. my question is: the expanding foam? are we talkin about hte sound specific type? that i think dynamat makes for car applications? or just what folks use in homes like expanding insulation foam? i actually have some of that at home.

how did it work out for that camera case and what was the intent? thanks for hte input boss!

phide said:
There's only so much one can do.

*snip

Or, if you have the coin, grab a couple 50Zs. I would have gone with a few of them had they been in stock at the time I was buying. As an all-around good pump, they really can't be beat.

i very much wanted to construct a nice box, like a full metal jacket. in the shower this morning as i was sobering up for work i spent some time racking my memory (very photographic, useless otherwise) to wonder if the FMJ for the ehiem pumps could possibly work....

at this point im still too lazy to actually build the wooden box and all that, im not a real modder, i just like to make adjustments to my case. but a box would be the best idea. as for the extra heat into the loop? 3-5 watts you figure? doesnt it already dump about 10? i would hope this would be something my loop could shrug off.

what are your thoughts on the holes for tubing an the wiring and pot? if i made them with an extra mm or 2 in radius than whats needed so there is a bit of a space, would the heat have a usable escape that way? and of course would it just make the box useless? or would it actually work to minimize heat dump to the loop whilst sill maintaining most of the dampening integrity? lemme know whatcha think.

Put your index finger over your mouth upright and say "Ssshhhhhh." like a librarian. n00b.

el rolio said:
...would it actually work to minimize heat dump to the loop whilst sill maintaining most of the dampening integrity? lemme know whatcha think.
Very little heat escaping, but some amount. Stick a propane heater in a fairly open room and it will heat it up eventually. All holes would need some sort of rubber grommet. Should be able to get a fairly tight fit without causing problems with the tubing. And no, if done properly, the holes won't cause any excessive (sound) leakage. For the pot hole (no pun intended), a simple plug would work.

From memory, I believe the Laing pump actually draws ~24 watts, so figure 75%-80% (very conservative - likely quite higher) of that is inline heat dump. Assume very little hot hair will leave the box, so assume that the remaining 25-30% will never leave the casing once the temperature inside of the box reaches a certain threshold. The result is an increase of 4-5 watts into the coolant. Totally insignificant. Do the math and you're looking at change in coolant temperature of <.1C

Those FMJs are reasonable, but they're little more than a simple muffler (not to mention being too small), and won't truly absorb much sound at all - the opposite of what you need.

There's no question that this would be a fairly big job, but if it's silence you crave, this is really the optimal way to do it. Not tough to construct, but you'll need to figure out how to allow for a couple tricky bits.

el rolio said:
great idea. i definately wanted to cut a mold outta one of those cubes of sound dampening form acoustipak deluxe set or whaddeva. but this may work. my question is: the expanding foam? are we talkin about hte sound specific type? that i think dynamat makes for car applications? or just what folks use in homes like expanding insulation foam? i actually have some of that at home.

how did it work out for that camera case and what was the intent? thanks for hte input boss!

I was thinking of the expanding insulation foam for home diy, but if you can get purpose made stuff, even better.

For my friends camera case, he wanted all the gubbins (camera, lenses etc) to be held firmly in place, but still with some impact absorbsion. All I did was empty out the exisitng crap foam that was in it, skooshed a bit of expanding foam into the case, and before it expanded completely, put a black plastic bag over the foam, stragetically placed the camera stuff and closed the lid. Waited for a bit and opened the case, and after removing the camera stuff, there were the silhouettes of the camera hardware in the foam. As long as the plastic bag doesn't tear it's fool-proof! You can do the exact same thing if you are shipping something really expensive and fragile (a bag in a bag of foam, in a box). Good luck!

phide said:
Those FMJs are reasonable, but they're little more than a simple muffler (not to mention being too small), and won't truly absorb much sound at all - the opposite of what you need.

There's no question that this would be a fairly big job, but if it's silence you crave, this is really the optimal way to do it. Not tough to construct, but you'll need to figure out how to allow for a couple tricky bits.

yea nah the plan was, if the sizing allowed it i mean, to fill the inside of the FMJ with the sound foam and then call it a day.

anyhoo yea i would need to figure out how to make up that box and all, maybe for some future project or when it really irks me up the wall. great tips tho thanks so far. i think for the present im gonna try and wrap it / mold it in a block and see where that takes me. also gonna put a couple blocks or sheets in some more places in the case hmmmz

Back