This guy swapped his 3800 x2 for 3200 and it became a dual core!

tvdang7

Supreme [H]ardness
Link

i cant beleive. that.

another guy in the same thread a few pages back swaped his opteron 148 in for another cpu and it became unlocked.!

link

iono how credible that is but WOW :eek:

How can you "unlock" a single cored chip into an X2? ...Unless AMD have been selling X2's with failed 2nd cores as single core chips, but then how would you be able to tell them from the normal single cored chips?

I....don't understand.

So some people swapped a dual core proc out for a single core and the single core "unlocked" to dual core?

wtf... Isn't there a certain core thats sold as single because the second wasn't viable?

Get the f**k outta here!

I tried this myself, and surely it works. So I had an '89 civic, and I parked it in my friend's garage and the next morning I walked in and it had turend into 2006 red corvette z06 overnight!!!

OMG this is teh rulez!

quadnad said:
I....don't understand.

So some people swapped a dual core proc out for a single core and the single core "unlocked" to dual core?

wtf...why haven't more people noticed when they've delidded their procs that there are two physical cores? Isn't there a certain core thats sold as single because the second wasn't viable?

Both cores are in a single package. There won't be two pieces of silicon under the lid.

Personally, I'd put all this magical 2 cores from 1 and unlocking multis without a scanning electronic microscope in with the idea that I can make thousands of dollars by sending $1 to 5 people and then adding my name to some list.

of course there was other stuff he did if u read hte whole thread his set up has many diff modifications done to it. it wasnt jsut swap and unlock to dual.

hennessy1 said:
Get the f**k outta here!

I tried this myself, and surely it works. So I had an '89 civic, and I parked it in my friend's garage and the next morning I walked in and it had turend into 2006 red corvette z06 overnight!!!

OMG this is teh rulez!

I to tried this amazing phenomena myself. I went to sleep with my girlfriend on the left side of the bed instead of my usual right side of the bed. woke up the next morning and low and behold Jenna Jamison was sleeping next to me! guys it really works!

http://valid.x86-secret.com

type in 86747 on the left where it says "show CPU ID", and you will see my AMD Athlon 64 3500+ "Manchester/Venice" core. BH-E4 is the stepping, same as the X2 4200 I now have. So yes, the second core is disabled. ;)

You guys can laugh like a couple dingy teenagers all you want, but remember, the guys working on this have some heavy equipment working on unlocking it and have designed their own(equipment) if you read the thread. But hey, its easier to stand and rip on ppl from a distance, rather than actual add some meaningful help. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I thank everyone for coming into this thread and crapping on it... why don't you guys try and contribute and investigate instead of being retarded?

i went over and brought myself up to date on this phenomena.

it appears to be an isolated case or two.

IF, and that is a big IF, the CPU's that have been crippled would have to be ID'd for this to work. doubtful all of them are disabled dual cores.

i had an Intel chip several years back, a locked slot 1 PII unit, that displayed wierd behavior in the x department every once and awhile, but trying to dulplicate it on command just didn't happen like one would expect.

and, if this was really happening or could be done with regularity, there would be a wave of internet activity like a Tsunami flooding the world..........

as it stands right now, it is an anomaly.

baldy

SnowBeast said:
http://valid.x86-secret.com

type in 86747 on the left where it says "show CPU ID", and you will see my AMD Athlon 64 3500+ "Manchester/Venice" core. BH-E4 is the stepping, same as the X2 4200 I now have. So yes, the second core is disabled. ;)
and it's disabled for a good reason: doesn't work!

getting it to show up is similar to trying to unlock the multiplier i guess. it can happen, but the odds are soooo slim it's retarded. i actually thought that amd lasered it, but assuming that guy isn't BS'ing, i guess not :p

Interesting stuff, no matter what. Assuming this guy isn't BSing, I wouldn't hold my breath for that second core to be 100% stable. There's no way AMD would let X2s slip out the door as 3200+ if the second core worked perfectly.

Interesting stuff, maby he got one that wasn't lasored, thier are manufacturing defects some times. (or maby he tricked a 4200+ into thinking it was a 3800+) :eek:

I think maybe you guys are reading it wrong or I am. I don't think it unlocked a disabled core but unlocked the multiplier like the FX chips have.

first guy got a dual core out of his single core.
second guy got his multiplier to unlock.

Easilly possible I believe. I mean they have been selling high end CPUs at lower speeds, why do you think we get so good overclocking results from those 3000+ venice CPUs?

It also happens with video cards all the time, like my X800 GTO that'll outdo an X850XT PE when I unlock the extra pipes.

I mean things like this have been going on for years and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the CPUs were actually unlockable in some mannor.

So I should have read more. What I read talked about unlocking the multi. Looks like they have 2 projects going on in the same thready. Hardware unlocking the multi and software unlocking a disabled second core.

tvdang7 said:
second guy got his multiplier to unlock.
That's actually pretty exciting. It will make a lot of people happy if the multiplier is hackable. Boot to DOS, run some voodoo program, reset and have a new multiplier that sticks.

jebo_4jc said:
Interesting stuff, no matter what. Assuming this guy isn't BSing, I wouldn't hold my breath for that second core to be 100% stable. There's no way AMD would let X2s slip out the door as 3200+ if the second core worked perfectly.

It IS 100% stable, at [email protected] if you will read the thread. I didn't believe it at first either, but this guy knows what he is doing IMO. It was a freak thing that the core unlocked.. I don't think it will ever be reproduced again, but he is going by the method of reprogramming the chip now. I believe the same method can be used to unlock multipliers AND the second core. You can tell, btw, if a Venice/San Diego is a "dual core" chip by the stepping-

XCXXE (ie CCBWE) OR XDXXE (ie CDBHE) are Toledo and Manchester, respectively.

AMD will let a perfectly working dual core slip out the door for one simple reason- they don't need a larger X2 3800 supply, they need more Venice 3200/3500 chips! What do you think the ratio of single:dual core chips sold is? Probably heavily in favor of single core still. This is the same reason AMD lets out awesome chips as Opteron 165's.. a lot of them work great at 2.8Ghz@stock volts. But they simply need more 165's than 170's or FX-60's for example.

IMO at least.

EDIT: btw, this won't be a simple program, you'd most likely need to send it out to someone with the correct equipment, like tin_eof (that's his name, right?) If he offered a service to do that, I'd be on that in a heartbeat, along with a nice phase cooler to run low HTT+high multi for my uber coldbugged chip

I think it would be interesting to see what AMD themselves said, if tin emailed them with the pictures and results :p

repoman0 said:
EDIT: btw, this won't be a simple program, you'd most likely need to send it out to someone with the correct equipment, like tin_eof (that's his name, right?) If he offered a service to do that, I'd be on that in a heartbeat, along with a nice phase cooler to run low HTT+high multi for my uber coldbugged chip
That's what I meant, in a modifed motherboard. I'd also send out my chip to him in a heartbeat for a decent fee.

Back