This Build starts today

flynlr

2[H]4U
The magic brown truck is due in today with the following for my HTPC/Gamer system.
SILVERSTONE LASCALA SST-LC14M Black
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
POWERCOLOR X1800GTO 256MB Radeon
Antec TruePower 2.0 TP2-550 EPS12V ATX12V 550W Power Supply
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester
GeIL Value 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400
Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3300822AS 300GB 7200 RPM
LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner
POWERCOLOR T55E-P03 PCI-Express x1 Interface TV tuner
CHAINTECH AV-710 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 w/Update

just spent the last hour getting the latest drivers for everything. only thing I dont know how to get is every update for winXP media center since the SP2 ver.
will continue in this thread with Build Pics and the final results.

very cool. So, only one hard drive? I usually do one for OS and one for recordings. That way I can format and reinstall OS without fear of losing stuff.

only 1hdd in this budget build. another 300gb drive will be added shortly for media.

yeah, I usually pick up a cheap 40 or 80gb for the OS only. I guess I am just paranoid.

IDversusEGO said:
yeah, I usually pick up a cheap 40 or 80gb for the OS only. I guess I am just paranoid.

Has nothing to do with paranoia. It saved a lot of aggravation for me with my server when I've needed to upgrade the video storage.

yeah, if i want to rebuild my server I can just detach all the storage drives to ensure no accidental formats.

IDversusEGO said:
yeah, if i want to rebuild my server I can just detach all the storage drives to ensure no accidental formats.

exactly. having to reinstall the OS or ghost it is a pain in the butt.

as this is my first HTPC buildI can t wait to see which remote either the one with the case or the one with the ATI 550card I should use. will be a hoot im sure. then there is the DVI vs component. choice.

flynlr said:
as this is my first HTPC buildI can t wait to see which remote either the one with the case or the one with the ATI 550card I should use. will be a hoot im sure. then there is the DVI vs component. choice.

I used both component and DVI, and it seemed that the DVI gave me much better colors... so i used my component cables for something else.

Yeah, if you have a choice, DVI is better than Component any day of the week.

The Brown magic truck has arrived .. time to go to work now .

htpc1.jpg

a couple hours later things are moving to the test stage
htpc2.jpg

htpc3.jpg

htpc4.jpg

htpc5.jpg

htpc6.jpg

Media Center is installed now need to take some time to get these miles of wires under control

done for the day.
htpc7.jpg

looks pretty nice!

Be sure to post some pictures of after you got everything in and the cables are nice and everythign.

y keep us posted. also what kinda tv ur connecting it to? hows the remote, and what do u think of the case. been looking at that case for a while myself.

should be getting it hoocked up tommorow to the HT. the HDTV wont be here for a few more weeks but Ill be able to test the sound at least with a crappy 27" tv.

Back