How does a 'stock' Opteron 165 compare to a X2 3800???

PGPfan

n00b
Hi Guys,

I'm considering taking a chance on one of the Monarch coupon Opteron 165's. I currently have an X2 3800 that I'd like to move over to my HTPC. 'If' the Opteron turns out to be a 'boat anchor' as far as stepping and overclocking are concerned, would it still be an improvement running 'stock' over the X2, or would I be better off trying to get rid of it?

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance!

-PGPfan

Maybe a tad slower since it loses 200mhz. The real treat is it's ability to OC. If you are not going to overclock, go with the X2 over the Opty. If you want to OC, then the Opty is a good choice b/c of the 1MB cache per core.

i have one of the suckiest opteron 165:
CCBWE 0607 but i am still able to squeeze 2.44 ghz out of it. others with good stepping can get 2.6 no problem on air.

My 165 from monarch is currently doing 3.1ghz no problem :cool: And it gets 1130MHz OC on stock volts. (2926mhz)

3800+ x2 and Opteron 165 are virtually identical in performance at stock speeds.

Thanks guys! It looks like I'll be 'rolling the dice' on a (hopefully) good Opteron. I'll certainly post what I get.

-PGPfan

i sold my x2 3800+ for the monarch deal on the opteron 165

gl to both of us :)

rox1co said:
i sold my x2 3800+ for the monarch deal on the opteron 165

gl to both of us :)

I made a similar trade a few months ago. It worked out well for me since i was able to pick up a higher overall clockspeed and get the extra cache.

I'd say the X2 3800+ is better at stock only because of the clockspeed. More programs are dependent on a higher clockspeed than on more cache at this point.

repoman0 said:
My 165 from monarch is currently doing 3.1ghz no problem :cool: And it gets 1130MHz OC on stock volts. (2926mhz)
you sucker, lol

I only get a 1050mhz OC on stock voltage and im runnin 3.05ghz

LOL, 3.0ghz on stock. You all can claim 4ghz on stock, you can talk all you want, you can claim anything you want, it doesn't convince me one bit. so many idiots claimed how good an overclocker they are and never have anything to prove their talk. unless you post pictures of CPU-Z and validate it, you're all talk in my book.

yeh amazing oc...

the new cores from monarch are oc'ing to incredible speeds...i think thats what they mean

rysher said:
NOOB did you say 3.01ghz on stock? or the guy b4 you who you even quoted and said LOL. Bark at the right tree NEWB!

BTW, where's the stock voltage from CPU-Z?
I said 1050mhz OC @ stock, if you had any knowledge on Opterons at all you would know that means 2850mhz :rolleyes:

Further question, will my Epox 9NPA+ give me the flexibility needed to oc the Opti decently, or will I have to upgrade to the DFI that is so popular now?

-PGPfan

OverclockingGuru said:
I said 950mhz OC @ stock, if you had any knowledge on Opterons at all you would know that means 2850mhz :rolleyes:
knowledge on opterons doesnt make u have the ability to sum up 1.8 + 950= 2850, ROFL!!! NICE MATH!!! GL writing checks opteron omniscient.

PGPfan said:
Further question, will my Epox 9NPA+ give me the flexibility needed to oc the Opti decently, or will I have to upgrade to the DFI that is so popular now?

-PGPfan

The Epox should be ok. The DFI can do more for you, but I'd see what you can do with the Epox first and then go back with the DFI if you're not satisfied.

rysher said:
stock!!! rofl!
knowledge on opterons doesnt make u have the ability to sum up 1.8 + 9250= 2850, it's knowledge on mathematics!!! go know more about opetrons!
I cant even tell what you just said.

"Go know more about english!"

OverclockingGuru said:
I cant even tell what you just said.

"Go know more about english!"
1.8 + 950=2850 NICE MATH!!
BTW, may ask where you got ur opteron 165 1.9ghz and how much?
ROFL, 1.8 + 950= 2850 rofl some more!

rysher said:
1.8 + 950=2850 NICE MATH!!
BTW, may ask where you got ur opteron 165 1.9ghz and how much?
ROFL, 1.8 + 950= 2850 rofl some more!

hey probie, chill out and quit being an ass, even if he did do a little fuzzy math. are you a math major?

in the first place i wasn't talking to him: i was referring to the guy before him, talking about 3.01ghz on stock. Then he butt in and called me a noob.
now u call me a probie. so good at name callings especially when sitting in front of the computer.
and how would you know i am not a math major? u won't, u assumed.
that's why you don't go on name calling when you are behind the computer as you don't know who you are talking to, or if you can back up ur name calling when we are face to face, people think they are king kong in front of the computer.

That's why my next build has an Opty 170....dual core and overclocks like hell! OPTER-OWNAGE!

rysher said:
in the first place i wasn't talking to him: i was referring to the guy before him, talking about 3.01ghz on stock. Then he butt in and called me a noob.
now u call me a probie. so good at name callings especially when sitting in front of the computer.
and how would you know i am not a math major? u won't, u assumed.
that's why you don't go on name calling when you are behind the computer as you don't know who you are talking to, or if you can back up ur name calling when we are face to face, people think they are king kong in front of the computer.

Easy there son, calm down, it's not a big deal :rolleyes: Everyone gets so worked up about little things

Go by the .1v/100mhz rule, and you'll see it does ~2950@stock, and currently doing [email protected]

Back