BFGTech GeForce 7600 GT OC Eval @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
BFGTech GeForce 7600 GT OC - We wanted to find out how ATI’s and NVIDIA’s latest mainstream GPUs facilitate high quality gameplay, so we put them to the test in standard and widescreen gaming. A BFGTech GeForce 7600 GT OC vs. ATI Radeon X1800 GTO, you don’t want to miss this!

"It all comes down to value right? You want to get the most for your money. Right now you can find GeForce 7600 GT GPU based video cards slightly cheaper than Radeon X1800 GTO GPU based video cards. Given that, and given what we experienced gaming with both we have no problem recommending a GeForce 7600 GT GPU based video card. Overall the BFGTech GeForce 7600 GT OC provided better gameplay experiences."

Good stuff. Obviosly, I didn't read it all, but the benchies are what mattered. Nice to see some widescreen evaluations thrown in :cool:

glad you guys mentioned how loud the 7600 is. dang this card is so friggin' loud

Brent_Justice said:
What do you all think of the new table/graph format?
It might be easier to read and more compact to list common settings on the top and only list the differences in the notes if the settings are somewhat close.

Brent_Justice said:
I think overall this evaluation has shown maturation of the way [H] does video card articles. It really has gotten to the point where it's an "easy" read that clearly states the advantages and disadvantages between two cards. The graphs made more sense, as did the playable settings. Perhaps it was also the language used. Each section flowed well, and I found myself wanting to read more of the "meat" of the article than ever before.

I liked the fact that you did a widescreen section but in comparison with the card 1900x1200 is pretty extreme of a res to run at. I can understand that maybe your trying to keep the whole thing standerd so that the numbers that you post here also reflect simular to the numbers a 7900gtx put's out. But most people who buy a 7600gt arn't looking to play games at 1900x1200 res but more like 1650x1080 would of been a better choice. It's more reasonable and a res most budget minded gamers might be running. Most people I would think that own a monitor that can do that high of a resolution could also spare a few bucks for the 7900gt atleast. Hell you could of had it running at the 1400x res aswell and had both benches for the review. Even if the reviewers monitor native res is 1900x1200 he can still run the benchmarks in the lower res and take screenshots without any kind of interferance that might throw the numbers or the quality of gameplay. There is more widescreen monitors then just 24" inches

Its a nice article but I question the test system specs. Why are you testing mainstream cards on a top of the line system (AMD FX60 Dual Core, western digital raptor drive). Chances are if your buying a 7600GT, you wont be putting it in a system like the test system in the article.

pandora's box said:
Its a nice article but I question the test system specs. Why are you testing mainstream cards on a top of the line system (AMD FX60 Dual Core, western digital raptor drive). Chances are if your buying a 7600GT, you wont be putting it in a system like the test system in the article.

Couple of ways of looking at it, namely it keeps the cards from being CPU bottlenecked. That all said you can take a look at our scaling artilce and see how much it really impacts an evaluation like this. We are moving to more realistic system already for low and mid cards.

As Kyle noted if you look at scaling with a slower CPU you aren't going to see any difference in framerates with these midrange cards, they are simply GPU limited in games. With the FX-60 you know for sure the CPU isn't bottlenecking anything, you are as GPU limited as you can get so we can see which card is faster in games!

Also, a Raptor isn't going to effect the framerate at all, I use one because I hate waiting for games and levels to load, I want the fastest loading times.

Chris_Morley said:
I think overall this evaluation has shown maturation of the way [H] does video card articles. It really has gotten to the point where it's an "easy" read that clearly states the advantages and disadvantages between two cards. The graphs made more sense, as did the playable settings. Perhaps it was also the language used. Each section flowed well, and I found myself wanting to read more of the "meat" of the article than ever before.

awesome :)

Brent_Justice said:
As Kyle noted if you look at scaling with a slower CPU you aren't going to see any difference in framerates with these midrange cards, they are simply GPU limited in games. With the FX-60 you know for sure the CPU isn't bottlenecking anything, you are as GPU limited as you can get so we can see which card is faster in games!

Also, a Raptor isn't going to effect the framerate at all, I use one because I hate waiting for games and levels to load, I want the fastest loading times.

Is this the article you are referring too?

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTAwMiwxLCxobmV3cw==

Also I only mentioned the raptor just to emphasize my point about your test rig being a high end system. ;)

best article ive ever read

*runs over and hugs my 7600gt xxx*

no seriously, i love the new site layout and i like the new artyicles

1 note though i would add a table that shows recommended play settings for the cards...

greattttttt article though :D

coolxboxgamer said:
1 note though i would add a table that shows recommended play settings for the cards...

Thanks, I know exactly what you are referring to, that table will make a comeback :)

Brent_Justice said:

I really like it. What I expecially like is the Advantages section. In previous reviews, I didn't like the whole playable settings thing, but it was a little difficult to figure out exactly was different between the two. However, that Advantages cell provides all the info I need to know exactly where one card is beating the other. I don't even need the line graph now, that chart tells me exactly what I need to know. :cool:

Brent_Justice said:
yes

so..., did anyone notice the screenshots are now PNG? thoughts?

Ah yea, very nice change if you ask me. Using LCD monitors, you would definitely see the artifacts on the old jpeg images. I didnt notice it much on a CRT though. But now that it's PNG, it looks even better!

Also, a nice job on the new table graph format. The "gameplay advantages" makes much more sense now. Before it was like "Gameplay Advantages: HQ AF".... "wtf is that supposed to mean?" :p Again, great job!

Just curious, but does anyone know where the BFGTech GeForce 7600 GT OC can be bought? I've searched the web and couldn't find it anywhere. Even newegg doesn't have it, it seems. Or is it listed as something else? I've looked at zipzoomfly, bestbuy, compusa, outpost and no one has it. Is it going to be released in the future or is it already available, though not sure where that could be.

One thing in the review you mention Nvidia has been guilty of paper launches more times then ATI.. I would disagree with that. I believe you guys even ran a review last year condemning just how bad ATI had gotton about paper launches yes ?

thats all i found bad in the review otherwise fair.

Thank you, sir. I see it's 'special order' only....interesting.

(could've sworn it wasn't there when I checked earlier...)

Good review.

"We wanted to find out how ATI’s and NVIDIA’s latest mainstream GPUs facilitate high quality gameplay."

Why not increase those 'grids to load' in the .ini file for oblivion? (the entry that eliminates the 'pea soup,' blurry background effect).

I think the default value produces laughable results that, in no way, display quality gameplay. It was as if they [Bethesda] didn't expect us to leave the sewers and see that shit.

I am aware of the overhead most gamers may simply ignore, but us here at [H] are different.... right?

we try not to edit any INI files to represent the default config of the game as the game developer intended it to be, we only manipulate in-game options in the menus

Brent_Justice said:

First post,,, so don't flame me more than 3000 degrees :)..
All in all t'was a very good and informative and,detailed article,
just one little detail tho I agree with other posters; re:the very high settings,I am presently running that very card on a AMD 3700[Sandy},and my usual settings are 1024x768x32,
which I find work just fine,the other thing that bothers me is that many sites review hardware using cpu's etc and other hardware that the most of us cannot afford ,,or, see sufficent preformance with less expensive gear,gotta put your needz before your wants,eh what??
And I was pleasentlysuprised by the notion that I might squeeze a little more out of an already overclocked card
Keep up the good work..Thank you all........

Back