• Like It

Votes: 52 51.0%
  • Dislike It

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • Other (post in thread)

Votes: 15 14.7%

• Total voters

Brent_Justice

Looking at the services running in task manager there is only one service running, nvsvc32.exe, that is only taking up around 3 MB on my system. When the control panel is running I found another service starts up, nvcplui.exe and takes up around 21 MB on my system when running.

I didn't like it.
First off, it froze when I tried to change my resolution after I installed it and restarted (lol).
Secondly, it was slow and wonky, but I can attribute that to the fact that I have a customized Windows XP userface (at least I think that's the problem). Regardless, both CCC and the original Control Panel worked fine with it... why can't this one?

Eh. There's plenty of time to fix it, though. 'til then... Classic view for me!

I will probably wait for the "officials" but I am so happy to see 64bit drivers on this list. :D

I think i'd like it, but it's not included in the 64-bit driver download. :rolleyes:

Screenshots for those of us not at home and curious what it at least looks like?

Nice.. doh! now I wish I was home.. wil try them tonight.

EDIT: looks VERY windowsy.. go figure! ha. anyways.. any words on how the actual drivers perform?

Menelmarar said:
Screenshots for those of us not at home and curious what it at least looks like?

QFT. I'm not gunna download this until some guinie pigs report back on any bugs / killing stuff that should work / increasing or decreasing performnace / ect... but Id like to see what the control panel looks like.

anyone know how to oc with the new control panel?? thats about all i care about!!!

someone mentioned that no cp included with 64-bit drivers .. would the 32-bit version cp work?

PICS!!! Sorry if they are to big though, just took them quickly for you guys.

temp.jpg

res.jpg

program.jpg

manage.jpg

main.jpg

color.jpg

Anything else you want to see. Dont know how to OC. Would assume we will have to wait for a new Coolbits version or use Rivatuner.

UPDATE:

Took pic of classic navagation pane menu. Found it easier to navagate actually:
nav.jpg

Overall, I like it. I think the navagation is simple, but can be annoying now. I like the new profile managment. Alot easier to manage profiles for all your games now IMO. Dont think it was in the old ones, but now you can monitor your temps, while you dont have control panel open, so while you are playing a game, you can go back when you are done and see where they were at. That is a good ideal. If it was in the old ones, I just noticed it now LOL.

This is interesting lol:

Quake Wars??!!!
quake.jpg

Took this though to show you the profile management, which IMO is GREATLY improved. You can tell it to use the global settings, or give it own and have other settings use the global ones. I never understood the old profile management, so this is greatly improved to me!!!!!

For some reason I also dont have the OCing options. However, VR-Zone's screenshots do.... confused

MrSlacker said:
For some reason I also dont have the OCing options. However, VR-Zone's screenshots do.... confused

Yeah I dont see any options either. Weird..

Whats with the "AMBIENT TEMP" not showing up? I currently have this issue as well in my current drivers (84.21) Did they just do away with it?

temp.jpg

NEODARK: Probably, but these are BETA, so it can always be added.

Is it me, or arnt the custom profiles for games saving. I go to Oblivion, and set it to 8xAF and like 10 seconds later, it changes back. Anyone else getting this?

It's happening to me with WHQL's as well ;)

haven't reinstalled them yet though (to see if it fixes the problem)

just read the thread at nvnews on this driver set. artifacting in games and profiles not saving seems to be a common problem. i'll stick with my whql 84.21, maybe i'll update to a newere whql driver.

No control panel here since Im running x64. /me angry! :mad:

Btw, the capture quality with FRAPs is still poor.

x64 / 7900GTX / 91.28

MrSlacker said:

Under NVTweak reg key create Dword "Coolbits" give decimal value 3. Open the new Nvidia Control panel. Under 3D Settings, there should be a "Change overclocking configuration." Only thing I noticed was I can't get the "max frames to render ahead option" unless I go into classic mode.

well i like the new control panel better than CCC but its going to take some getting used to over the original control panel.

i definately like the new application profiles screen. finally got profiles that STICK! i just wish they would make the window size adjustable.

im downloading bf2 1.3 patch now and will report back with an image quality report. more than likely i will say that i cant tell a difference (which would be a good thing). probably same goes for FPS (again a good thing, 70fps with 8XSSAA 16xAF 1280x1024 = hard to beat)

Don't like the new CP myself. Perhaps I wouldn't dislike it so much if some issues I have experienced so far such as: profiles not saving, all profiles (NV defined ones) were somehow deleted and I had to reinstall, "Show GPU Load balancing" just showing me a horizontal line, not the vertical. From a new user point of view, in the old CP you could right click and get the "What's this" tab to have a brief description of what an option was, doesn't seem available in the new CP (was much easier then using the so called "help".)

While these are beta, I'm not sure of the motivation of releasing the new CP for the first time full of bugs. Problems aside, I don't understand what was so wrong with the old CP. It does the job, it is simple to figure out and seems organized appropriately from my point of view. Glad some people like the new CP, but I hope the option to use the classic stays around myself.

warning will robinson warning!

the ground in bf2 shimmers!

bf2shimmering5tw.jpg

1280x1024 8xSSAA 16xAF Texture Clamp is On High Quality in drivers all optimizations disabled. Definately NOT impressed. never seen this shimmering in any other driver on my 7900GT.

I never understood Shimmering so I dont know what im looking for. Care to explain?

best way i could explain it would be like watching a tv channel on a poor reception but only a certain part of the screen would not be getting a good reception. hard to explain really.

There is something REALLY wrong with that picture...my BF2 doesnt look at all like that...that looks aweful!

Hehehe... you can't really capture shimmering with a screenshot, it's something that has to be seen live. :)

Anyway I havent tried these out yet but just from what I'm seeing I don't think I'll like them. The old nVidia control panel was nice and compact and very functional. It seems like they are just trying to dumb it all down and 'XP-ize' it.

Hopefully it doesn't end up like Catalyst Control Center. CCC is what finally made me dump ATI after several years of brand loyalty.

shaolin95 said:
There is something REALLY wrong with that picture...my BF2 doesnt look at all like that...that looks aweful!

show me a pic of your bf2 then. same spot (gulf oman btw)

edit: i am using medium textures btw, only have 1gb of ram.

can anyone confirm if using the Coolbits reg entry makes the core voltage option available and does it actually work, as in has anyone tried to overvolt their GPU with the drivers controls and verified with a DMM?

I really doubt it will work on all cards at least, i know on the EVGA cards, flashing a BIOS with a 1.35v VID does not actually increase it, it still stays 1.2v for the GT, verified myself with my DMM

ThreeDee said:
someone mentioned that no cp included with 64-bit drivers .. would the 32-bit version cp work?

No idea on the 32bit one, but ill confirm that X64 seems to have no new CP, i just installed the new 91.28 X64 drivers and i only have the classic CP. What a major let down, like pretty much every nvidia driver release lately.

well i switched to the old control panel to make sure i wasnt missing anything in the new control panel under the profile settings, nope wasnt missing anything, switched back to the control panel and ran bf2 again. this time no shimmering insight at all. must have been a glitch. at 8xSSAA 16xAF 1280x1024 i get 50fps constant. at 4xAA with transparency aa set to supersampling and 16xAF 1280x1024 = 80fps+ all the time. :cool:

Im really liking this new control panel. VERY SMALL on the memory usage too! right now i have 870MB of free memory after a fresh reboot. NEVER seen that much free before, used to hover around 820MB. When you have the control panel open it takes about 30MB of RAM, not a resource hog at all. Very responsive and fast, loads in about 1 second for me.

As far as the drivers themselves go I would say these are probably the best drivers I have used so far on my 7900GT. IQ is top notch!

Back