Dreamweaver

Teen-Pound

Weaksauce
Hi, I'm trying to make it so 1 graphic ( main logo and navbar ) shows up the same on every page. Or a shared border using dreamweaver. Any help would kick ass. I purchased the book " Dream Weaver 8 Bible " it was 50 bucks and really has not been too much help. I might return it and look for another one, any recommendations on what book I should buy?

thanks later

I'll second the Visual QuickStart Guide series. I have one for GoLive, and it is a lot more useful than the Adobe manual even though it's only half as thick. Much easier to find what you need. :)

mrmagoo_83 said:
Couldn't you just use an upper frame? Granted I am no webdesigner, only a dabbler.

That would be nice and easy if true but my question is: How would I get that same frame to show up on every page so it wouldnt have to reload on every other page. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

O[H]-Zone said:
This is a job for a template.

ditto...

there is no need to use a frame for this.. just make a template

In Dreamweaver, how do you update a template and have it update the website and any existing pages? I thougth templates were only applied when the page was first created.

mikeblas said:
In Dreamweaver, how do you update a template and have it update the website and any existing pages? I thougth templates were only applied when the page was first created.

what you do is create a page, save it as a template (.DWT file), then define the "editable regions". To use a template, you create a new HTML page and go to Modify-Templates-Apply Template to page. Then choose the name of the template you created. You will now have an HTML page with regions you cannot modify (uneditable regions) and regions you can add stuff to (editable regions).

The beauty of using Templates is that when you modify the Template file, all files made from that template will automatically inherit the changes EXCEPT in those regions you defined as "editable". So for example, your template could have a logo image and nav regions , and a content area that is defined as "editable". Let's say you add some new nav links to the template, all pages using the template will inherit the new nav links, but none of their content areas will be changed since that was defined as editable.

this is a great way to create pages for non-savvy web users. They create new pages based on your template, but can only change specific areas of those pages, so they cannot accidentially mess up things like your nav links, logo, copyright notice, etc.

that kind of stuff is easily done in php like other said, using
include("filename"); but dreamweaver also allows templates, though I never use them.

acidic said:
that kind of stuff is easily done in php like other said, using
include("filename"); but dreamweaver also allows templates, though I never use them.

yes, include files are great, but many people either don't know anything about PHP, or don't have access to a server that supports it. so for those folks, Templates are the best bet.

Back