ATI 1900XTX monitor no signal on cold boots.

eat2na

Limp Gawd
I have tried about everything but can't figure it out. Monitor is a 21" CRT. PSU is a Seasonic S12 500W, MB is DFI NF4. Tried several DFI bios but still the same. Also tried the 6.3, 6.4, 6.5 and no fix. This is on a fresh install of Windows XP with all updates and latest directx. Bios settings at stock or slightly OC, still the same. Video card at stock speed. Runs Prime95 all night with rthdribl together with no issues. No artifacts or problems with games like Oblivion. Memtest shows no errors. CPU is an Opteron 165. Memory is Gskill 2GB . If I shut down the PC all night the monitor will say no signal when I boot it up the next morning.But everything else sound like a normal start up. Hard drive is one WD 320SATA. Only have the basic front fan and rear fan setup. Temps are excellent also. The only way I get it to work is by shutting it down and restarting and It will start fine. After that it will restart fine all day long but if I clean all electricity from the system by removing the power cord and the battery and waiting, when I go to restart I get the same problem. Tried reseating memory, video card, and changing cables but it still happens. I had a 7800GTX and it was working like a charm till I got this card. I hate to be pressing the start button twice every morning and don't want to leave PC on all night. :mad:

Why are you removing all power and battery? All that will do is reset cmos. I would start with the power supply. Put your other card back in and see if it still does it, if it does...woola, you figured it out, if it doesnt, rma the video card.

eat2na said:
But everything else sound like a normal start up.

Are you saying you think your computer has fully booted to winxp and such, just with no signal on your monitor? you can check if your system is running ok by seeing if hitting capslock ligihts up the led on your keyboard. at least this way you can check if your system has crashed or if it's just your monitor.

Loadedaxe said:
Why are you removing all power and battery? All that will do is reset cmos. I would start with the power supply. Put your other card back in and see if it still does it, if it does...woola, you figured it out, if it doesnt, rma the video card.

I removed all power as a test. It seems that it only happens when all power has been drained from the system or has been shutdown for a few hours. I can shut it down and wait 20 minutes and it will start fine. Is like as long as there still some recent left over electricity it will be fine. Too bad I don't have another PSU or Video Card to test it with.

Cript said:
Are you saying you think your computer has fully booted to winxp and such, just with no signal on your monitor? you can check if your system is running ok by seeing if hitting capslock ligihts up the led on your keyboard. at least this way you can check if your system has crashed or if it's just your monitor.

Yes that is what is happening. PC starts normally and keyboard works as you mention. Video card fan on and everything but there is no signal coming from the Video card. I have to let it finish booting up then press the start button again to shut it down then press it again to start and that second time the monitor comes on.

Have you tried both DVI ports? I believe the one furthest away from the motherboard (ie closest to the screw on the bracket) is the primary port.
Do you get no signal right from the getgo, or does it disappear when winxp starts? If the latter, try to go into safe mode and see if it works then.

I don't know if it helps, but my LCD will give me a blank screen sometimes when I power it off and turn it on later if I have the "reduce dvi frequency" option checked (I don't get the "no signal though, it's just blank). Maybe the monitor timings and such in your driver needs to be tweaked. It's definitely odd about the cold boot and such, but this is all I can think of without changing out your hardware.

The same thing has just started with me as well, what MB do you have? I had a abit AN8 32X nvidia chipset and no issues, now I have a abit AT8 32X ati chipset that I installed Thrusday and this is when the problem started.

The first boot when I wake up, no display and some times no post at all, then I restart and everything is fine.

Note: "Cannot Display this Mode" at POST" is a common problem and if you look on the Dell site and download the monitor PDF they explain it.

Cript said:
Have you tried both DVI ports? I believe the one furthest away from the motherboard (ie closest to the screw on the bracket) is the primary port.
Do you get no signal right from the getgo, or does it disappear when winxp starts? If the latter, try to go into safe mode and see if it works then.

I don't know if it helps, but my LCD will give me a blank screen sometimes when I power it off and turn it on later if I have the "reduce dvi frequency" option checked (I don't get the "no signal though, it's just blank). Maybe the monitor timings and such in your driver needs to be tweaked. It's definitely odd about the cold boot and such, but this is all I can think of without changing out your hardware.

I normally use the opposite DVI port, not the one you mention. I will try that. The problem is that I have to let the PC cool for like one hour before I can replicate the problem. My theory is that as long as the power supply is warm it is easier to get the video card going but if I let it cool off then is like a car that is hard to start. The signal is out from the getgo. I tried something else. Go to services and disable help and support then after it booted up with no signal I press the windows key and then the F1 key. It gave me the windows default beep sound. So the PC was running normal, just no display. I hope it is a PSU issue. Cheaper to replace than a Video card.

Hey decapitator!
I know your hardware is different than mine, but how did you resolve your problem?. Thanks.

eat2na said:
Hey decapitator!
I know your hardware is different than mine, but how did you resolve your problem?. Thanks.

Its lame as hell but I moved the DVI over on the card :eek:

decapitator said:
Its lame as hell but I moved the DVI over on the card :eek:

Hope that fixed it for you. Turn it off overnight and check in the morning to see if it boots ok.

Is the fan going at 100% when this happens and more importantly do you have a post code of "C1"? I had an Abit AT8 32X that would do that. The "C1" code means its not detecting your memory correctly. This can some times happen as well when you change your CPU multi. They had problems with the plain AT8 and CAS 2 ram doing this as well. They fixed it with a BIOS update. "No video" can be a result of these things because the system simply doesn't post.

Blacklash said:
Is the fan going at 100% when this happens and more importantly do you have a post code of "C1"? I had an Abit AT8 32X that would do that. The "C1" code means its not detecting your memory correctly. This can some times happen as well when you change your CPU multi. They had problems with the plain AT8 and CAS 2 ram doing this as well. They fixed it with a BIOS update. "No video" can be a result of these things because the system simply doesn't post.

Both the Chipset and Video card start fast as they do on a normal startup but then they slow down when windows loads up. I went as far as removing all ATI drivers disconnecting all drives . Since you still be able to access the motherboard bios that way, but the monitor never came on until I press reset. I contacted ATI and they told me to replace the Seasonic S12 500watt with one of these brands and make sure they provide close to 22amps on each 12v rail.
Enermax
TAGAN
PCPandCooling
AeroCool
Xion
Zippy

This morning it was the worst yet. I ended up pressing the reset 3 times before the monitor got a signal. :eek:

eat2na said:
Hope that fixed it for you. Turn it off overnight and check in the morning to see if it boots ok.

Well it now boots on the first try :) That is the good news :p But now I need to boot 2 times too get it to see my CD/DVD drive :eek:

eat2na what MB do you have?

decapitator said:
Well it now boots on the first try :) That is the good news :p But now I need to boot 2 times too get it to see my CD/DVD drive :eek:

eat2na what MB do you have?

DFI nf4 SLI

eat2na said:
I found a thread at DFI-Street with a person having the same problem with almost the same hardware.
DFI Street

PSU sure isn't your problem, its rare for pcpower&cooling to go south. I know its sucks but you may want to give up the MB and give something else a shot.

:confused: My PSU is a Seasonic 500Watts. It looks like it doesn't meet 1900XTX requirements. Only 17 and 16 amps on the dual 12volts rails. But I wish I had that PCPower&Cooling:D
Things are getting more clearer now. When I cold boot I get the long beep and two short beeps. That means the video card is not being detected. Could be bad video card, not enough power to the video card, or improperly seated. That is why I am able to hear the windows start sound and have programs load up from the DVD drive even though I don't have a picture on the monitor, because it is isolated to a video card problem from those listed above. Now since I am able to play games and stress the video card once I press reset and I get no windows or video problems that means the Video card is good and properly seated just not getting enough juice at the cold boot for it to be detected. This is my theory and I won't be able to test it until I get a PSU with dual 22amps on the 12volts rails.

eat2na said:
:confused: My PSU is a Seasonic 500Watts. It looks like it doesn't meet 1900XTX requirements. Only 17 and 16 amps on the dual 12volts rails. But I wish I had that PCPower&Cooling:D
Things are getting more clearer now. When I cold boot I get the long beep and two short beeps. That means the video card is not being detected. Could be bad video card, not enough power to the video card, or improperly seated. That is why I am able to hear the windows start sound and have programs load up from the DVD drive even though I don't have a picture on the monitor, because it is isolated to a video card problem from those listed above. Now since I am able to play games and stress the video card once I press reset and I get no windows or video problems that means the Video card is good and properly seated just not getting enough juice at the cold boot for it to be detected. This is my theory and I won't be able to test it until I get a PSU with dual 22amps on the 12volts rails.

Seasonic is an outstanding psu, how old is yours? 500W should not be to old, Im surprised it does not have adjustable rails.

i have read that dfi boards are picky about the psu you use. most people on dfi street use OCZ PowerStream 520w or higher, and when i say most users, its users with X1900 series cards. if you are going to upgrade your psu, i would suggest the OCZ PowerStream 520/600w or OCZ GameXStream 600/700w psu's.

eat2na said:

Well the problem is back my friend, I get no post boots :eek:

Fixed my problem by replacing my Seasonic PSU with a new OCZ GameXtream. Before on Smartguardian my 12V were 11.77 and now with the new PSU is 12.09.

Back