[H]F Junkie
just got this today
these pictures are exacly how the package was when I opened it
no packing peanuts have been removed
going to e-mail them tonight and see if I can send these back

hope my new raptor that comes tomorrow is in better shape
from now on, I will only buy from ZipZoomFly

edit: rehosted pics

Yea, when you buy hard drives OEM, you can't execpt the retail packaging....
But still, you are right, those hard drives probably got banged around a lot, and from the looks of it, were able to move quite a bit.

Makes me think twice about ordering OEM hard drives from them, that's for sure. Too bad, home your zipzoomfly's work out better for you.

dchrsf said:
For gods sakes, just try them out!!

They look pretty well packaged!
Skelaton4 said:
i think you should at least try them out.. but maybe thats just me
It's not a question of whether they're DOA or not.
They will probably work, but how much has their lifespan been shortened by being banged around?

But then you have to ask yourself what happened at the warehouses before they shipped to you? ZipZoomFly could be playing soccer with theirs and then package them all nice to ease peoples mind. I think this whole shipping thing is being blown out of proportion.

Tell me what kind of packaging won't get banged around in shipping, heck I would think bubble wrap could absorb a fair amount any way.

Yikes, that looks like a hack job. I recently bought 12 hard drives and they came in a nice custom cut styrofome case, odd they wouldnt do something similar for yours. Send them the pictures and maybe they'll try to prevent this in the future, but they wont take action if no one says anything about it ;)

Wow, I would demand a refund. That's just aweful.

The last three packages I've received from newegg have all been partially open due to the cheap tape they use.

That's definitively crappy. I mean it takes crappy to new levels. Wow.

Thats exactly why I quit buying drives from Newegg. Last one I ordered was wrapped in a strip of bubble wrap almost long enough to go around it, and sat on the bottom of the box, and THEN they put some peanuts in, and stuck in a the rest of the components on top. The drive is still working last I knew (customer machine) but was enough to turn me off from Newegg almost completely.

That packaging is entirely unacceptable, they need to be packed in tight.

I would at least voice a complaint to newegg, that's just plain laziness on someones part. How hard would it have been to stuff that box full of peanuts? A few more seconds of time?

Make the complaint known, show them pdfs linking to valid shipping methods from the manufacturers, maybe eventually, with eough people they will change their ways.

I ordered the 8 drives in my sig from Newegg, all came packaged pretty heavily. Not super heavy duty, but enough to endure the shipping. Those pics however don't speak well for Newegg...

hokatichenci said:
I ordered the 8 drives in my sig from Newegg, all came packaged pretty heavily. Not super heavy duty, but enough to endure the shipping. Those pics however don't speak well for Newegg...
what drives did you order?
and what Seasonic model are you using?
any problems?

Ya those look decently packaged. Besides they are seagates so you got a 5 year warrenty and those things are rated to withstand a 350g impact when off.

If the drives are in anti static bags, those are some pretty fucking amazing bags, because I can't see them.

This whole thing is fucking stupid. People are either shills for ZZF or shills for newegg. I have never had a single problem with a newegg-purchased drive, other than one 60GB drive that died two years after its 3 year warranty expired, and they have been shipping these drives the same way since they started. My god, people, go find a hobby. This is such teenage drama. Plug the damned things in. If they work? Awesome. If not? Send 'em back. If they die before warranty? Awesome. If not? No replacements anyway. Nublets. Gawd.

mwarps said:
This whole thing is fucking stupid. People are either shills for ZZF or shills for newegg. I have never had a single problem with a newegg-purchased drive, other than one 60GB drive that died two years after its 3 year warranty expired, and they have been shipping these drives the same way since they started. My god, people, go find a hobby. This is such teenage drama. Plug the damned things in. If they work? Awesome. If not? Send 'em back. If they die before warranty? Awesome. If not? No replacements anyway. Nublets. Gawd.
I'm not partial to any online retailer, but still.... I disagree with what you say.

To me, just the thought that the hard drives were damaged in shipping is not a comforting thought, especially when I pamper my computers the way I do.

I wonder who botched up on this... was it newegg or the shipping company (ex: ups, fedex, dhl, etc).

unhappy_mage said:
That's definitively crappy. I mean it takes crappy to new levels. Wow.
Hopefully you get the situation worked out man, crap ass packaging.

You think thats bad, try the same sized box, 1x1foot of bubble wrap that doesn't cover the entire dive... placed in a box like that..... you could "shake" it

thats why i stopped buying drives from newegg

towert7 said:
I wonder who botched up on this... was it newegg or the shipping company (ex: ups, fedex, dhl, etc).

I doubt the shipper is doing any packaging..

I don't get why people think a customized foam carrier for hard drives is a better package. If anything, I think the foam carrier box is actually worse than the bubble wrap because it is a stiffer material. The whole purpose of the foam and peanuts is to make the contact time longer so the initial impact is dissipated over a slightly longer time. That's how packaging works... :rolleyes:

I don't work for Newegg, and I do like how ZZF's packaging looks more professional. I think this whole shipping the hard drive thing is blown way out of proportion. I'd complain if there were no bubble wrap around the hard drives, but I don't think this is the case here.

Bbq said:
If the drives are in anti static bags, those are some pretty fucking amazing bags, because I can't see them.

Seagate packs their drives in plastic cases, even the OEM drives. They are protected just fine from static and impact. While I think it would have looked better to have filled the box up with peanuts.... that really would do little more to protect those drives. That thick bubble wrap is all the protection that they need. I swear you guys think these things are made out of glass or something. Hard Drives are a hell of a lot more durable than given credit for around here. People make a much bigger deal out of this stuff than they should. I've abused SOOOOOO much hardware..... rubbing processors and memory on my clothes before install, walked around with them, "unprotected," in my pockets for hours, smacked thrown kicked hard drives and haven't had a SINGLE part fail on me. Guess I'm just lucky. :rolleyes:

Newegg packing and shipping people definitely have issues.....I ordered an OEM X1900XTX from them a few months back and it showed up with ZERO packing.......just static bag thrown in a shipping box. I sent it back and got a retail pack card; I've sworn off buying OEM products from them....

I'm scared. My $850 newegg package is arriving today :eek: I'll be at home praying to the package Gods.

digitalx0 said:
I'm scared. My $850 newegg package is arriving today :eek: I'll be at home praying to the package Gods.

i jsut droped around $1300 from them and all my packages came with more packing then was needed, only thing that wasnt double boxxed was my v1000b

his HDDs could have been a pissed off worker, a new one, could have come open during shipping and resealed, any number of things

edit, could someone host the pics on something other then supload? for some reason i cant see anything that site hosts

Too me it looks like the person who packed those drives was in a hurry to go somewhere and did a half-ass job in packaging them. Probably ran out of stryo-foam peanuts and was to lazy to get some more, at least I think Newegg should be aware of this by sending them the pictures. The hard drives are probably OK, but someone should be held responsible in doing a poor packaging job. Just my opinion.

Poncho said:
I swear you guys think these things are made out of glass or something. Hard Drives are a hell of a lot more durable than given credit for around here. People make a much bigger deal out of this stuff than they should. I've abused SOOOOOO much hardware..... rubbing processors and memory on my clothes before install, walked around with them, "unprotected," in my pockets for hours, smacked thrown kicked hard drives and haven't had a SINGLE part fail on me. Guess I'm just lucky. :rolleyes:
seconded. i still remember dropping a mobo with a cpu+heatsink in it about 3 ft onto a concrete floor. no issues ;)

(cf)Eclipse said:
seconded. i still remember dropping a mobo with a cpu+heatsink in it about 3 ft onto a concrete floor. no issues ;)

I'll tell you what, it's pretty liberating to take a stack of the latest and greatest processors and memory and playing frisbee with them. :D Hmmm... thinking about it I need a new key chain, think a quad core processor should work. :D Snap... all this take of hardware abuse is making me giddy. :D

I received 2 HDD's I ordered from Newegg a couple days ago, and they were packaged fine. Both of them were in the same box, in 2 seperate anti-static bags. Wrapped twice or 3 times around with bubble wrap, and the box totally filled with packing peanuts. Everything I've ordered the last month has been fine (although I wish they could find something else to use besides packing peanuts - I have them all over my room now).

I've never had a problem with packing from newegg. Everything I've ever ordered came well packaged with plenty of peanuts to hold everything in place. One thing to remember is that people who have bad experiences are much more likely to vocal about it, making it look like the problem is much bigger than it really is.

I'm not sure if you realize this, but it costs newegg if they send drives and they don't work. Relax and just use the things.

"I received 2 HDD's I ordered from Newegg a couple days ago, and they were packaged fine. Both of them were in the same box, in 2 seperate anti-static bags. Wrapped twice or 3 times around with bubble wrap, and the box totally filled with packing peanuts. Everything I've ordered the last month has been fine (although I wish they could find something else to use besides packing peanuts - I have them all over my room now)."

I had the same experience with two Seagate 300's that were on sale a little while ago. If you really feel pissed about the packaging after you have tried the drives and they work, then send a well written email to newegg with the picture and demand to get the shipping back. They'll credit your account.

They look fine. I'm guessing they're bubble wrapped, then in the plastic shell. Since they're packed, i'm assuming the heads are parked, in which case it takes a sizable amount of force to do any form of minor damage to the hard drive.

Relax, i'll bet they're fine :p though they could have at least filled the box with peanuts

When I got my one hard drive a year ago, they shipped it in a box damn near big enough for the case, and had so much bubble wrap and packing peanuts stuffed in there It was a wonder how they shut the damn box.

You would think they could vaccume seal the hard drives or something, then fill the whole box with that goopy expanding foam. Thats how one Segate Cheetah hard drive was shipped to me, used. Sure they charged $20.00 shipping on something that really cost about 8 bucks, but I had two halfs of a foam-injected cube... well, kinda hard to explain without pics.

The foam was a big solid brick, in two halfs. It fit snugly into the box, and in the center it held the hard drive in its clamshell tightly.

Huh...I ordered a drive from them about a month ago and it was in the same bubble wrap (which I though was pretty decent) but the box was filled with peanuts, preventing it from flying all over the place. ZipZoomFly is hands down better with their custom stryofoam boxes, I still have mine somewhere.

We happen to have recieved a drive from ZZF today (graduation present for my brother) and it was the usual foam cage + peanuts thing. I'd post pics, but the camera was being used to take pics of him instead of the packaging.

Infidels :p

First, this isn't anywhere near typical of Newegg from what I've seen; I ordered a raptor from them recently and it was packaged in the same way, but sufficiently cushioned. Your situation however is quite unacceptable. I would most definitely demand an exchange at their expense.

Sweet. Now I can get two bargain hard drives at a discount when someone sends back perfectly fine and working hard drives. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back