Oblivion Multiplayer on its way

I'm curious as to how they intend to player balance for deathmatch.. Players above/below level xx can't enter this match, or will they do it lowest common denominator style, or will they give everyone a level xx character of their choice properly outfitted for that level and class???? I'm gonna watch this one close, and check out their forums.... Hope it turns out well...

wont this be lame? u can just use game commands to get whatever gear/lvl/stats you want...

Itemization in Oblivion is too crazy for deathmatch to work. 100% chameleon = you win. Lots of damage/spell reflect = you win. The game is not balanced around multiplayer at all.

DavidBeoulve said:
Cooperative mode is king, here, not overdone Deathmatch

QFT

If he can get it to a point where cooperative missions work, then I am sure there will be a ton of modders pumping out missions for the coop mode. Who knows depending upon how well this mod turns out it might pressure the devs into making TES:5 with a multiplayer component.

If deathmatch is an option, I agree that severe imbalances can occure, but what if there is some kind of balancing feature? So that if there is a lvl 20 character, lower lvl characters could only join the other team until it tips back into the lower lvl teams favor.

Or, as I have seen in Diablo 2 and Titan Quest, create a game that will only support a certain range of lvl's or like the sidekick feature in City of Heroes. Balance the lvl's to a common lvl by increasing or decreasing the skill lvl's to an average of all the characters on the server.

CTF, King of the Hill, Co-op
All have potential. We'll see

Unless they simply make it as a detached item, providing sort of setups/loadouts from which to choose, rather than the current character - seems most sensible. Similar to MTA, I mean.

Deathmatch would be pretty fun, provided they balanced the game properly.

For instance, take away invisibilty spells and artifacts, lessen reflection damage, etc.

How about having to "hunt" for your opponent? You can go from town to town asking NPCs if they have seen the guy, and they could give you tips as to his last whereabouts.

Then you sneak up on your prey as he's sleeping or pilfering a treasure chest, silently equip your bow, and place an arrow right in the back of his skull! :D

Erasmus354 said:
QFT

If he can get it to a point where cooperative missions work, then I am sure there will be a ton of modders pumping out missions for the coop mode. Who knows depending upon how well this mod turns out it might pressure the devs into making TES:5 with a multiplayer component.
hell they may release it for oblivion

for a nominal fee of course.

Erasmus354 said:
Who knows depending upon how well this mod turns out it might pressure the devs into making TES:5 with a multiplayer component.

Morrowind had/has a multiplayer mod but that didn't push Bethdesa to make ES:IV multiplayer.

Or for deathmatch, have areas where the only items/armor you can have are the ones in the deathmatch zone (along with the limits on overpowering spells,etc). Maybe a large multi-layered dungeon type layout?
Could have the arena set up as a tiered deathmatch events with each combatant leveled/equal or as close to it as possible, with a free for all match for whatever class of character you want to fight.
Would take alot of work though...

Sweet, I hope they make some sort of cd key checker so people who didn't buy the game can't play it online.... :rolleyes:

aZn_plyR said:
Sweet, I hope they make some sort of cd key checker so people who didn't buy the game can't play it online.... :rolleyes:
I can't remember, but i'm pretty sure Oblivion doesn't use a key...

I must be one of the very few that thinks every game doesn't have to be multiplayer. The whole game is built around YOU. You're the hero, you're the one who gets to be the head of all the guilds, singlehandedly save the empire, blah, blah, blah. I don't see where multiplayer fits into that. Sure co-op is nice in games like Titan Quest and FPS games, I just don't think it has any place in morrowind/oblivion.

wtburnette said:
I must be one of the very few that thinks every game doesn't have to be multiplayer. The whole game is built around YOU. You're the hero, you're the one who gets to be the head of all the guilds, singlehandedly save the empire, blah, blah, blah. I don't see where multiplayer fits into that. Sure co-op is nice in games like Titan Quest and FPS games, I just don't think it has any place in morrowind/oblivion.

QFT

Make that two of us.

In my mind....in most cases....a great game + playing it with your friends = a better game.

beanman101283 said:
QFT

Make that two of us.

#3. I like the solitary feeling of this game. All the rest of me games are MP so I like to go "mindless" and offline it from time to time.

Variety is the spice of gaming.

WhyYouLoveMe said:
#3. I like the solitary feeling of this game. All the rest of me games are MP so I like to go "mindless" and offline it from time to time.

Variety is the spice of gaming.

Exactly, and that is why some people would like to enjoy Oblivion as both a single player AND a multiplayer experience. Just because you *can* play Oblivion with your friends (sort of) with this mod doesn't mean anyone is forcing you to. But as you so nicely put it, variety is the spice of gaming, and hence having the ability to vary your gaming experience with the unreplicable irregularity of a human teammate / opponent can only be a good thing for those that want it, and a moot point for those that dont.

Guess I should have said "variety is the spice of Oblivion".

Sorry. I'm not trying to bash the mod.

Back