psu has to be upside down?

fireburster

[H]ard|Gawd
I bought a ttgi 520w and a xclio 450bl and both psus had to have the fans on the top or they wouldnt fit in the qpack. The holes dont even line up the other way. Is this just me or did i get some odd psus?

Yea, my Enermax Liberty is upside down in my QPack as well. Did it so I didn' have to cut the back plate, and make space for tubing.

Some are made that way, and it doesn't hurt one bit to have them oriented like that. The heat difference should be pretty insignificant.

ditto w/ my enermax liberty. Plus you get to watch the pretty fan spin though the top case window :)

Also had to take the fan grill guard off because the retaining grommets for the top case window would catch on it and I couldn't close the case...

Seems to me that having it upside down is really restricting airflow. There's what, 1/8 of an inch between the fan and the window?

I have a Q-Pack and I was able to mount the Enermax Liberty correctly - all i had to do was trim a tiny bit of plastic on the left side of the cord plug casing so that it would slide over enough against the case to line up the screw holes.

Mounting it with fan facing downwards is also going to suck up the hot air coming from your video card -- even better airflow to keep the card cool imo.

For me it was a lot easier to trim off the plastic than to drill new holes through the metal case.

I'd rather have my PSU exactly where it's supposed to be anyways, I'm a neat freak like that.

ciggwin said:
Seems to me that having it upside down is really restricting airflow. There's what, 1/8 of an inch between the fan and the window?

I have a Q-Pack and I was able to mount the Enermax Liberty correctly - all i had to do was trim a tiny bit of plastic on the left side of the cord plug casing so that it would slide over enough against the case to line up the screw holes.

Mounting it with fan facing downwards is also going to suck up the hot air coming from your video card -- even better airflow to keep the card cool imo.
You wouldn't have any pictures of exactly what you mean about trimming the plastic casing, would you? My new Enermax Liberty should arrive later today and I'll be working it into a X-Qpack (along with a new Lite-On DVD burner).

Ya I took one... can't get it to not be fuzzy tho... but you can get the general idea:

psu.jpg

Basically you gotta trim away the black plastic that surrounds the actual plug. This way, the PSU will be able to slide over to where it needs to be. I recommend a dremel tool, but I used an exacto knife cuz I didn't have my dremel tool at the time. Not sure how much I took off, but just take off a bit and try it, and then take off some more if you have to. I'll see if I can get a better pic. It's still a tight fit, and I could probably take off a little more to make it fit perfectly.

Had I had a dremel tool I would have cut the metal, but I figured this was just as good. Yes the plastic is probably there for a reason, but I think it'll be fine.

Now that Steve mentions it though, I would have rather cut the metal than cut the plastic, but I worked with what I had :)

Steeeeve said:
you can just bend the aluminum...it works :)

Thats what I did, I dont understand why so many ppl are putting their PSU's upside down cuz of such a tiny little thing.

A decent file will take care of that pretty quick. I used a file (finer teeth than a corse wood rasp/file) and had the section where the power inlet was blocked by the chassis trimmed in no time.

Maybe it's me, but I didn't have to cut, bend, or file anything. Maybe the Liberty 400W is slightly different.

I keep meaning to post pictures, I took one of the back of the case for this reason.

Back