An In-Depth Look into a Belkin UPS Unit.

Scorpionjwp

2[H]4U
Well I'm about to show you what Belkin does to cut corners, and does Belkin make their Ups units.

I had this model of Belkin go out on me just as of yesterday, of course it had died a slow death, none of my hardware has been damaged because of it. But sure alot of hours lost typing out a novel and playing guildwars because w/o warning it will shut off on you.

Ok lets head out to find out what makes this thing Tick.

UL #: 99JS

Make: Belkin
Model: F6c800-Unv
Output: 800va/450w

Input: 120Vac, 60Hz, 12A
Output: 120Vac, 60Hz
Output Surge Only: 120Vac, 60Hz, 12A
Total output current: 12A

S/N 3x024973316w8

Here is what the victim looks like:
belkin1.jpg

belkin2.jpg

Now opening it up, to open the casing up there is 1 screw in the back and 4 at the bottom.
belkin3.jpg

You have a transformer, pcb power board, batterys and outlet box, then leds in the front.

Now upon Inspection, do I not see one but two batterys, user replaceable if you choose to replace them. I would have assumed that Belkin would have used 1 battery instead of 2.
belkin6.jpg

Word of Warning, sorry about the crappy photo of the pcb board, if you need a better view, I'll get one:
belkin4.jpg

On looking at the Pcb board, I caught something out of the Ordinary on the writing on the board, here is what I found:

Maker: Delta
2933021602 Rev: 02
Ges122v115817-A

And the Transformer:
Maker: Cormex-s
Class 130(B) DV-130-1
E8014B
belkin5.jpg

The Belkin unit is a Delta ups unit, Belkin rebadged as their's.
And last but not least, the Led board.
belkin7.jpg

Now to let most of you know, the low end Belkin Models may be made this same way. The higher end models, 1000va or higher, you can replace the battery easier or may have been put together better.

Ok by past experiences from Apc, if you return a Ups unit for repair or replacement due to a manufacture defect, the one question they will ask is this: Have you plugged in a surge protector to the wall outlet first then Ups unit. If you answer no, we cannot accept the ups unit. All this might have changed since last year also.

I was working away typing up a sci-fi novel when the Ups shut off, no beep, nothing. It happens to do this during good or bad weather. My father uses a Belkin Ups, same model too, his stays on, mine does not.
Something unforseen happened to it, cause unknown, It died that is all I know.

According to Cormex themselves, that transformer in there is a class 130(B) and the correct model designation is "DV-130-1." Absolute maximum voltage handling is 600V (typical for most transformers,) and specifications are not available. It certainly doesn't look like an 800VA part, but scale's a little hard to tell..

UL listed E151908.

Thanks for the info on the Transformer, Belkin has the UPS rated as 800Va, not the transformer.

Scorpionjwp said:
Thanks for the info on the Transformer, Belkin has the UPS rated as 800Va, not the transformer.

Yes, but to handle 800VA, the transformer in there has to be able to actually output 800VA. Technically it should be slightly higher than 800VA, e.g. 850-900VA, to cope for losses.

I wish I knew something about transformers or the insides of a Ups unit, well I do not. I posted this info for people who are looking for options when looking for a ups. And or would like to know what is inside of the Ups unit.

AreEss, seeing what you know about the transformer, it could very well be correct that this transformer will only take 600v, now how does Belkin figure it is a 800va Ups unit, where we can clearly see it is not. Also where did the 200v went if this model of Ups is stated to have in it?

It could be it's surge raiting. E.g. 800VA surge, but only 600VA or less continuous.

Scorpionjwp said:
Ok by past experiences from Apc, if you return a Ups unit for repair or replacement due to a manufacture defect, the one question they will ask is this: Have you plugged in a surge protector to the wall outlet first then Ups unit. If you answer no, we cannot accept the ups unit. All this might have changed since last year also.
Why would APC require a surge protector when the backup supply already has a built-in surge protector? I checked the warranty and instructions of my old APC BK300C and Conext (by APC) CNB300, and neither mentions anything about an additional surge protector.

I have a Belkin 375VA backup, also made by Delta, and it contains far fewer parts than my APC/Conext backups:

163832897_7810f3f9fa.jpg

BTW, is it really necessary for a backup or UPS to have a large transformer? Because this 300VA APC BK300C has a large one:

162537932_ea1be2a004.jpg

but this 300VA CNB300 does not:

162537931_d0f3530ec3.jpg

JTY said:
It could be it's surge raiting. E.g. 800VA surge, but only 600VA or less continuous.

JTY got it one; 600V is the maximum surge, not the VA rating. 600V for a transformer is neither exceptional nor substandard. It's simply 'typical' and 'expected.' It would take some REAL work to push 600V through that transformer, too.
V is Volts, VA is Volt Amps. I'm tired so I don't remember the whole shpiel, and everyone'll just have to look it up for themselves. Regardless, the transformer in that sort of UPS needs to be 1:1 to rating.

larrymoencurly said:
Why would APC require a surge protector when the backup supply already has a built-in surge protector? I checked the warranty and instructions of my old APC BK300C and Conext (by APC) CNB300, and neither mentions anything about an additional surge protector.

Dunno. Do know APC likes to play Warranty Games, where you void your warranty without doing anything. They pulled this with me on a Matrix once. So gods only know there, sorry. I keep 'em all on Tripp-Lite ISOTELs no matter what, just because I don't want a blown UPS managing a backfeed and blowing out more.

larrymoencurly said:
BTW, is it really necessary for a backup or UPS to have a large transformer? Because this 300VA APC BK300C has a large one:

Define "large." A physically large transformer is not necessary. I can show you monstrous transformers that only do 300VA, and tiny transformers that do 1200VA. It all depends on the type of transformer, and construction methods.
In a typical UPS, yes, you'll need a (physically) big transformer because you're pumping in AC and AC, and taking off DC. They've shrunk a lot, but it still has to be equal to the UPSes VA rating. Otherwise, the transformer is the weak link and primary limiter for capacity. You can throw 1200 amps of 12V deep cycle at a UPS, and it can still only push out the amps the transformer can handle. If it's got a bypass, you can run all the AC you want through it. But the unit will go splat when batteries kick in.

As far as the Conext goes, that's a "power strip" UPS. The PCB layout is not familiar to me, and I think there's relevant parts missing, so I'm not sure. That may be an AC-DC-AC, it may be only the AVR, I really couldn't say for sure. It's a very different design than what I am familiar with.

AreEss said:
Define "large." A physically large transformer is not necessary. I can show you monstrous transformers that only do 300VA, and tiny transformers that do 1200VA. It all depends on the type of transformer, and construction methods.
In a typical UPS, yes, you'll need a (physically) big transformer because you're pumping in AC and AC, and taking off DC. They've shrunk a lot, but it still has to be equal to the UPSes VA rating. Otherwise, the transformer is the weak link and primary limiter for capacity. You can throw 1200 amps of 12V deep cycle at a UPS, and it can still only push out the amps the transformer can handle. If it's got a bypass, you can run all the AC you want through it. But the unit will go splat when batteries kick in.

As far as the Conext goes, that's a "power strip" UPS. The PCB layout is not familiar to me, and I think there's relevant parts missing, so I'm not sure. That may be an AC-DC-AC, it may be only the AVR, I really couldn't say for sure. It's a very different design than what I am familiar with.
I buy these power strip backups (not real UPSes) because they're the only ones that are free. :) The transformer in my 300VA Conext is only 1.25" at its widest, compared to over 3" for the other transformers, so I'm thinking that it's fed high frequency AC. It also has an extra pair of transistors, which this newer model Conext 325VA lacks:

163833271_c6978a0379.jpg

I had a belkn 1000VA -- that I just replaced. Looks exactly like the one in the pics above. It died (i assume it's the battery, but could be something else since the led panel shows nothing other than the "HEY EVERYTHING'S OK!" power light).

Pretty funny, we'd have a quarter second brownout during a storm and everything in the house would remain on (including my wife's non-UPS'ed computer) but my computer plugged into the Belkin UPS would lose power.

I just bought an APC RS800BLK last week and love it. Will def not buy another Belkin.

Transfomer rating of 600V is normal for transfomers that "should" never see more than 120VAC/240VAC.

APC says do NOT put a surge protector "in-line" with their UPS's.

I use & recommend APC UPS's for home & small business use. ;)

FYI, their AVU1500 UPS uses the same transformer: http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=443678

I recently disassembled mine due to waking up to a burning smell throughout my home and determining the source of it was my 7 year old UPS. I walked up to the unit, heard the fan was running, touched the case and it was almost too hot to keep my finger on it. I immediately unplugged it and took it outside, fearing a battery may leak or catch on fire. Since the batteries were replaced only a year or two ago, I decided I'm not taking another chance with the unit and replaced it with a regular surge strip.

Hello, i have this ups the f6c800 , i was wondering if anyone could tell me what the mosfets are where the black and white wires connect to the two heat sinks from the transformer.. i took them out about 4 years ago and was going to replace them but now i have forgot what they were.. i know they are n-channel of course but need to know the exact part number.. thank you

Back