Mini-ITX Athlon64/6150 board!

[LYL]Homer

Supreme [H]ardness
Not VIA, but thought I'd give the mini-ITX crowd a shout -

See link for pics:

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2770&p=19

The highlight of our meeting with Albatron was most definitely its mini-ITX Socket-754 Athlon 64 motherboard based on the nForce 6150 chipset:

Albatron says that a Socket-AM2 version is in the works and should be out by the end of this year. Coupled with an Energy Efficient Small Form Factor Athlon 64 or X2 processor, the Socket-AM2 version of this motherboard should be a very attractive option for a HTPC among other things. Kudos to Albatron on doing something different.

that looks nice what's the best place for compatible psus and cases for that?

Well, guess there's finally a performance MiniITX platform.

Anyone know how much this is going to cost?

defaultluser said:
Well, guess there's finally a performance MiniITX platform.

Anyone know how much this is going to cost?

You've not seen the commell LV-677 then ;)

Gordy that board is like 2x the size of the socket 754 one

edit ok maybe not 2x the size but at least 25 percent bigger

You could build a FX-62 mini-ITX system when the socket AM2 version is out. :eek:

How much does the Commell cost? It'd make a great mini PC to sit not to the TV so I can hook it up to watch movies

umm, what about the heatsink?

That is the hardest part about making this thing super thin.

Qwertyman said:
umm, what about the heatsink?

That is the hardest part about making this thing super thin.
The energy efficient X2 3800+ coming out is only 35W. I don't know if it's AM2 only though. A 1U heatsink would probably work on it. http://www.frozencpu.com/cpu-aoc-02.html Just replace the 36dB fan with a quieter 70mm or 80mm fan (with an adapter for an 80mm fan).

Looks pretty cool. I wish they would use notebook memory on these mini-itx boards though. At least that way you could get 2 memory sockets(a bunch of these boards only have one). Still that looks pretty cool as it is.

belmicah said:
mini-ITX boards with dual NIC's, lol? Seems like a waste of 1cm^2

Why do you say that? They work great for router projects where you get a lot more bang for the buck then a single board machine. I know a few people that have mini-itx boards running as a router/personal web server/vpn endpoint. Also it is nice in case a nic does happen to fail(I work for consultants and we replace at least a nic every week and a half or so). Either way it is nice to have.

I got a reply from albatron about the board, they said the KI51PV-754 will be available in small quantity(in the us anyway) the end of august, for a price tag around $310

looks like i will be traveling a different rout for my in dash carpc

I'm actually thinking of going w/ this board and a Turion64 (ML-30) to replace my Via Epia MII12000 powered CarPC. Not sure if it's worth the effort though. I'll mull it out over the next few days or so ;)

socket AM2 version forthcoming?

i like it for the 4 SATAII ports supporting RAID - talk about a hell of a mini PVR box!!

Does anyone know if this board can actually be run with a 20pin PSU namingly the PICO-PSU 120? I am thinking about using this as an upgrade for my Intel Shelton based file server and would really like to reuse my PICO. Thanks.

<Rant>

What is wrong with companies today. Why can't they get their sh*t together.
People like small! It's very obvious, so why can't we get a mini-itx board with a
16x riser slot, for C2D or X2, wrapped in a tiny case with a latop hdd, and slim CD?
I don't know about you guys but I'd pay pretty good money for a barebone like that
Something like 1/2 the height of a SFF PC. That would be the best lanparty box
ever!

</Rant>

Kingofl337 said:
<Rant>

What is wrong with companies today. Why can't they get their sh*t together.
People like small! It's very obvious, so why can't we get a mini-itx board with a
16x riser slot, for C2D or X2, wrapped in a tiny case with a latop hdd, and slim CD?
I don't know about you guys but I'd pay pretty good money for a barebone like that
Something like 1/2 the height of a SFF PC. That would be the best lanparty box
ever!

</Rant>
Can you settle for a Pentium D or Core Duo board?

hehehe, in the last month I have spent $180 on s754 CPUs and now have 3 working 3200+ 1m cache chips and a 3700+ 1mb cache.. jsut waiting for stuff like this..

HP has two mini itx systems. One uses the low power AM2 cpu (the only way you are gonna get one too!). And a Core Duo version as well.

The only thing these two systems are lacking is a DVI out. BOOOO!

AM2 ... starting at $429!!! :)
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...ue&a1=Brand&v1=HP+Pavilion+Slimline&tab=specs
For people who do not believe it's mini itx check the manuals..
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...691&lc=en&cc=us&#9001;=en&product=3254059&dlc
Look near the VGA out.. there is solder pads for the DVI .. just never made it into the final revision. Cry cry.. but this one has Nvidia gfx onboard. Win win win.

Intel
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...7600y_series&a1=Brand&v1=HP+Pavilion+Slimline

I'm under the impression that HP's systems do not report the correct tempetures. Since no matter what you do you can't get the temp to change. Heh. And their not quiet either.

But for the price. You walk away with a low power AM2 cpu. That alone is worth it. :)

c00783699.jpg

Yeah, it pisses me off that vendors continue to offer analog-out only when the onboard video chipsets can easily handle DVI output.

Example: My company has been dragging its feet on transitioning to DVI, even though every LCD in the company has a DVI port. Through 2007, we will continue to get new PCs with analog only output, Hell, for my last upgrade I specifically requested a DVI add-on card and they denied it.

This is the kind of technology/mindshare lag HP is fighting, so don't get mad that they left out the "cutting-edge" DVI port. lol.

But anyway, you can quite possibly make your own low-power X2 chip: I've found A64 90nm chips can run 0.5-1.0v below stock voltage at stock clock speed stable, which gets you the same power reduction (or more).

And also, I wouldn't go nuts over the 6150 onboard graphics. They're "good" for onboard, but they get blown away even by a pathetic 7300 GS with TurboCache. Standalone graphics is always better, if you can get it.

I have a buddy who picked up a laptop recently with 6150 onboard, and he was disappointed with the game performance. NWN2 wouldn't run smooth (30fps) even at low settings (didn't surprise me at all).

Back