Speculation: Is there a reason the FX-62 is sold out?

Ockie

*** Self Proclaimed Storage King ***
Almost every repudable store sold out of the FX-62 and some even pulled it form the inventory... like as in there is no page with the words "backordered" or "sold out"

Is there a reason for this? Perhaps AMD yanked them and is preparing a conroe assault?

Just speculation... can't have fun without it :D

oh boy...no more speculation, the inquirer is enough for one lifetime!

although I admit, I'm hoping for something to combat conroe. I'm not an AMD !!!!!! by any means, but I really do appreciate the fact that a company as small as AMD has basically waged a David vs Goliath war and been doing exceptionally well. I'm rooting them on!

as for why they're not in stock, it's probably because AMD didn't really expect huge sales with all the poor press it's been having.

I'd say they are OOS because the places that are selling them never got them in in the first place.

kirbyrj said:
I'd say they are OOS because the places that are selling them never got them in in the first place.

They were all in stock and every store had them availible. But now they have been yanked from all stores and pages are taken down too.... :confused:

Hell even my local store had them in... not anymore... I don't know whats up?

a secret recall because they really weren't FX62's?

AMD noticed that it had accidentally shipped the K8L core FX-62 instead of the plain FX-62. Since AMD does not want Intel to know that they have K8L ready to go right now, they recalled them from the stores. K8L will launch the same day with Conroe :D

gg speculation and fantasy!

I'm just wondering if AMD didn't decide to skip the FX62 and cut to the FX64.

Ockie said:
They were all in stock and every store had them availible. But now they have been yanked from all stores and pages are taken down too.... :confused:

Hell even my local store had them in... not anymore... I don't know whats up?
never stopped to consider that they're selling faster than amd is making them? :D

Ockie said:
I'm just wondering if AMD didn't decide to skip the FX62 and cut to the FX64.

not going to help them since the fx62 is getting its ass handed to it by the e6700 conroe chip. now if the fx64 was released at a msrp of $500 then yeah it would be worth it. not like that would happen though ;)

I think AMD could capture a much bigger piece of the market if they released their top processer, the AM2 Fx-62 right now for <$500. That would also force Intel down :D

AMD doesn't need to do anything right now; they are top of the line. They would be a little crazy to lower prices on their current gear before Conroe comes out. Expect an AMD re-action after Conroe comes out; they will not do a whole lot until then.

pandora's box said:
not going to help them since the fx62 is getting its ass handed to it by the e6700 conroe chip. now if the fx64 was released at a msrp of $500 then yeah it would be worth it. not like that would happen though ;)

That would be some feat if true.....

Considering that Conroe is were?

This is how i see i. They might have just sold out, and even if AMD recalled them, that's fine. They must have a good reason

Now as for how AMD will deal with conroe...the same way they dealt with intel for the past 5 years or so. Slowly gain more market share, and produce either a better product or a cheaper one.

i say they will go for the better product.

I will say we will do a magical happy dance while balancing hotdogs on our noses with llamas singing, "kick, punch, it's all in the mind.."

Who knows? :p

Have you thought at least for 1s that maybe yields on the FX62 are piss poor ? That stretching 90nm to the sky and back will eventually backfire ? :rolleyes:

Amd might have pulled it because the NV5 chipset is hot running and brings the total system energy use to that above the Intel P-D 965EE.

Oh4Sh0 said:
I will say we will do a magical happy dance while balancing hotdogs on our noses with llamas singing, "kick, punch, it's all in the mind.."

o_O

Can anyone find an FX-62 for a reasonable price thats retail boxed?

I can find the 5000+ X2 locally retail and the FX-62 oem online, but I kinda want to stay away from OEM.

any thoughts?

savantu said:
Have you thought at least for 1s that maybe yields on the FX62 are piss poor ? That stretching 90nm to the sky and back will eventually backfire ? :rolleyes:
intel took 90nm further in frequency than amd

Oh4Sh0 said:

HAH! I lol'd! :p

savantu said:

Thank you. Yields - Almost always the reason a chip isn't available. There is no reasoning behind not selling chips for $1k when you can. Just because we're speculating, doesn't mean we should throw common geek sense out the window.

texuspete00 said:
Thank you. Yields - Almost always the reason a chip isn't available. There is no reasoning behind not selling chips for $1k when you can. Just because we're speculating, doesn't mean we should through common geek sense out the window.

We can have fun speculating! Gives the AMD'ers hope ;)

maybe AMD underestimated demand for the top-of-the-line chip and has therefore produced insufficient of them and more of the lower-speed rating ones?

Erm quick lesson. Lengthy pipeline cpu's scale to higher MHz than shorter ones. P4 prescott >30 pipeline stages, AMD = low teens? I forget. Now that's not even that too in depth geeky. Size of transistors vrs. MHz is a bit too short sighted though. It's a different design philosophy. Not that there isn't a million other issues, ie, Intel and AMD's processes are not exactly alike, but it's a down and dirty reason why a 3.8GHz AMD64 ala P4 is unlikely at 90nm.

Wanted to add that earlier when I was agreeing with a quote it's not to say necessarily that I agree this is as far as AMD is going to get on 90nm. Just chips not in channel almost always equal yields. Could be unexpected demand, but there is not a special FX line at the factory that cranks out FX's. They are binned. Only special in that they are a nice sample. So anything more than a short sold out is spelled yields every time.

(cf)Eclipse said:
hahaha, then why are nvidia and ati stuck around 400-700mhz at 90nm when intel can do 4-4.5gz :confused:

because most GPUs are 200-400 million transistors all of it logic, and each of the pixel and shader pipelines needs to work on 4x32bit floats each cycle.

I would think giving the right design and an agressive 90nm process and pushing the votlage to the limit, ATI and Nvidia could get pretty easily double, maybe triple, their clock speeds. It would just dissipate 400W.

(cf)Eclipse said:
so much for sarcasm :p

I'm pretty slow, you've got to give me hints. Like hitting me over the head with sledgehammer labled 'Acme sarcasm dectector.'
(And I missed your first reply to All4AMD..)

What AMD should really do in about 3 months time, is a massive pricedrop. Something like start the new FX line's at 500 bucks, and lower the 3500+'s to about 70 bucks. Intel will have no other way to compete except even more price drops.

It won't happen :(

Nono, no big price drops... I just bought an FX-62... arrives tomororw. I managed to snatch one from a distributor ;)

I found out that the stores were preselling them and expected them to arrive sooner... but in actuallity they only arrive on the 30th :) So pretty much no one has them.... which is cool by me.

Back