Official Dell 2407WFP Thread - Reviews, Revisions, Screenies

Although I didn't get mine yet (holding out for an A02 >> ?), I thought it would be good to have an 'official' thread related to this beast (since the other one was a 'release date' one)

If possible when posting, please list:

When you ordered it and how long it took to get it
system specs (if not in sig....anything relevant -video card, ram, cpu)
REVISION # (looking for that elusive A02)

and of course, reviews, screenshots, photos! :D

and REALLY of course, no flaming!

Can someone please post pictures of the xbox 360 running at 720p and 1080i through component? This is one of the things holding me back from ordering this monitor. Thanks.

I got a A00 it has one dead pixel which Im not to happy about, but the blacks look awsome. How do you test for banding????

SKL1 said:
I got a A00 it has one dead pixel which Im not to happy about, but the blacks look awsome. How do you test for banding????

You can test for banding by viewing an image that has some kind of gradient color pattern. If you have photoshop, you can make an image that goes from white to black. When you look at the picture, the transition from white to black should be smooth without distinct lines anywhere. Monitors with banding problems will have lines seperating the different shades of grey as you get closer to the black area.

[edit] Here is a good explanation + pics of banding:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_banding

Thanx , I really dont see any banding , but Im pretty pissed off about this dead pixel :(

rumor has it that dell 2407 revision A02's will be shipping for any ordered after 6-9-06!

Please continue to post some pics (xbox360? Hi-Def television)
and your reviews (and rev. # 's )

thanks

There is supposed to be a review here for the A02 revision.

You need to register first to view their forums though :(

its amazing how no one on the internet can post any pics with the xbox 360... :rolleyes:

Groto said:
its amazing how no one on the internet can post any pics with the xbox 360... :rolleyes:

Because, we have to unhook the 360 from the 60" and take two flights of stairs to the computer room to hook it up to a measly 24" monitor...

ND40oz said:
Because, we have to unhook the 360 from the 60" and take two flights of stairs to the computer room to hook it up to a measly 24" monitor...

youre such a lazy ass

pelayostyle said:
youre such a lazy ass

True, although you could give me a reprive since i'm attempting to recover from a weekend in AC for a buddies bachelor party. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow, my 2407 is sitting in my office at work.

so... according to that review... the A02 monitors are the proverbial 'shiznit'

now to just scrounge up the cash (again) and get another dell coupon for 25% off via email (again)

:D

Actually... according to that review there's nothing different with the A02 revision... at least from the A01

So can you keep the monitor in desktop mode rather than multimedia mode when watching dvds or media in programs like wmp or playing games? I assume that multimedia mode would only force itself on when hooking something like an x360 up to the monitor? Also, is one half of the screen still much brighter than the other like it was on the 3007wfp and 2405fpw (atleast it was on the one I ordered). Also, does the brightness control make the monitor dimmer than on the 2405fpw? The 2405fpw was unbearably bright even at 0%.

thenixhex311 said:
can you please link me to that wallpaper of the running water (blurry) down the stream?

i had a real small picture of this before, and always thought that that would make a decent wallpaper!

thanks!

here you go

:cool:

can anyone with a 2407 please measure the height of the monitor from the bottom of the bezel to the top of the bezel please and post it, thanks

Dell 2407WFP

... from bottom of lower screen bezel to top of upper screen bezel is - 14.5" / 368mm

... side to side is - 22" / 560mm

Could some one post pics of the back of the panel with the stand removed, the input panel, and the packaging the monitor came in?

Chunkywolf said:
Could some one post pics of the back of the panel with the stand removed, the input panel, and the packaging the monitor came in?

Lol. While you're doing this tedious stuff, could you also take a picture of the circuit board? :)

I ordered mine on the 7th and it arrived today. First thing I did was look at the label...Rev 00. I'm a little disappointed that Dell is still sending customers faulty equipment. Hopefully I can get my hands on an A02 soon.

The good news: It's a nice screen, even with the banding problem which you don't notice that often. Viewing angles are excellent, there is very little to no color shift when turning the monitor to extreme angles. This new lcd is replacing a nice 19' crt and I decided to see if I could measure the input lag on this thing. I'm not sure if I did this right and I got some mixed results: I first ran both monitors @ 60hertz and that gave me close to identical numbers everytime I took a photo. I then switched the crt to 75 hertz and that's where the difference became clear. The lcd was a consistent 20-35ms behind the crt.

Hmmm, I wonder if that is the correct way to measure that. In any case I can't feel any lag so it's good enough for me.

Rev 00 was supposed to have text blur, but mine is tack sharp. Also no dead/stuck pixels and a nice uniform backlight. The banding problem is definitely annoying. The monitor case is actually nicer then I expected with the exception of the buttons which feel a little cheap to me. This is my first lcd so your opinions may differ but it really looks like a very nice monitor to me and if they fix the banding I'd be a happy camper.

where did you get that timer program? mind if i could ask you to send it to me, or send a link? thanks

from what dell has said here The difference from A01(And I'd assume A00) to A02 was merely firmware. So the boards inside would be the same.

just got my 2407 today :)

but now I got to go to work so I'm not going to be able to hook it up.

when I get home a little after midnight est ill post some pics and hook my x360 up to it
stay tuned!

hello,

i've been waiting (like many other here) for the 2407 to come out; i am a little concerned about the blurry text issue. can someone explain what exactly is blurry and does revision a02 address this?

It makes sense that the faster refresh would lead to the CRT being faster. The reason is that the CRT is refreshing at 75hz, the lcd is refreshing at 60hz. This means the CRT is going to display 15 more frames of information than the lcd per second. What happens is that the LCD at 60hz is displaying the same info for about 20% longer than the crt. I am willing to wager that the millisecond difference would be about the same as the difference between 60hz and 75hz.

When comparing for input lag between two monitors, the two monitors must be at the same refresh rate. Otherwise you will instead be testing how refresh rate affects input lag, rather than how the monitor electronics are affecting input lag.

I hope this made sense...

dakine99 said:
I ordered mine on the 7th and it arrived today. First thing I did was look at the label...Rev 00. I'm a little disappointed that Dell is still sending customers faulty equipment. Hopefully I can get my hands on an A02 soon.

The good news: It's a nice screen, even with the banding problem which you don't notice that often. Viewing angles are excellent, there is very little to no color shift when turning the monitor to extreme angles. This new lcd is replacing a nice 19' crt and I decided to see if I could measure the input lag on this thing. I'm not sure if I did this right and I got some mixed results: I first ran both monitors @ 60hertz and that gave me close to identical numbers everytime I took a photo. I then switched the crt to 75 hertz and that's where the difference became clear. The lcd was a consistent 20-35ms behind the crt.

Hmmm, I wonder if that is the correct way to measure that. In any case I can't feel any lag so it's good enough for me.

Rev 00 was supposed to have text blur, but mine is tack sharp. Also no dead/stuck pixels and a nice uniform backlight. The banding problem is definitely annoying. The monitor case is actually nicer then I expected with the exception of the buttons which feel a little cheap to me. This is my first lcd so your opinions may differ but it really looks like a very nice monitor to me and if they fix the banding I'd be a happy camper.

I have a Rev. 01 2407 setup at work right now. I'm going to swap it with my 2405 so that the 2405s stand, bezel and speaker bar matches with my 1905s at work. When I get the 2407 home i'll get pics of it with a 360.

Yes, PLEASE lets see lots of 360 pictures on it. 720p and most importantly 1080i to see if it can display it. The two things ive been waiting on before buying this is seeing if 1080i works with component and if this monitor has HDCP. Someone on widescreengamingforum.com said that the new rev supports 1080i. We'll see if he was right.

Groto said:
Yes, PLEASE lets see lots of 360 pictures on it. 720p and most importantly 1080i to see if it can display it. The two things ive been waiting on before buying this is seeing if 1080i works with component and if this monitor has HDCP. Someone on widescreengamingforum.com said that the new rev supports 1080i. We'll see if he was right.

It definitely supports HDCP, check out Alienwares site, it states 2407 with HDCP as one of the monitor options.

It's weird because some places says it supports it and some it doesn't. All of Dell's websites except the one for the U.S. says it supports HDCP. I did the Dell Chat thing yesterday and the rep told me that they couldn't find any info on whether it was supported or not.

Ulrick28 said:
It makes sense that the faster refresh would lead to the CRT being faster. The reason is that the CRT is refreshing at 75hz, the lcd is refreshing at 60hz. This means the CRT is going to display 15 more frames of information than the lcd per second. What happens is that the LCD at 60hz is displaying the same info for about 20% longer than the crt. I am willing to wager that the millisecond difference would be about the same as the difference between 60hz and 75hz.

When comparing for input lag between two monitors, the two monitors must be at the same refresh rate. Otherwise you will instead be testing how refresh rate affects input lag, rather than how the monitor electronics are affecting input lag.

I hope this made sense...

Right, that makes total sense, but correct me if I'm wrong, isn't that what input lag is all about? The difference between what the video card renders and what the screen is displaying. In other words how much are we losing by playing on a 60hz lcd vs a 100hz crt. If we are just talking monitor electronics then there is virtually no lag difference between the crt@60 and the lcd@60 so it's safe to say that input lag is not a problem on the 2407 other then the inherent lag you get from running @ 60hz.

btw, just spend all day working on mine and I'm loving it. No eye fatigue and loads of space, awesome.

Here is my first picture of my 2407WFP

I'll get more once my batteries are charged o_O!

Picture012.jpg

Back