Microsofts genuine authentication

kur1j

Gawd
I am not sure what is going on but 3 or 4 people have asked me what to do with this little "icon that keeps popping up telling them their system might be at risk". Well I had never seen it until a few days ago. They asked me how they could get rid of it and I didn't really know what to tell them.

Please do not tell me these are not ligit copies of windows as 2 of them are walmart computer and the other is an eMachine computer. One of which is about 2 months old that I KNOW has the default install of the OS as the owner is an older guy that can't really do much with the computer other than play solitare.

I don't think you can get rid of it. Easily anyway. Microsoft just wants to keep the pirates out of their security updates. If they're legit copies of Windows, just run the validation tool and download your new security updates.

You'll also get a message like that if you have turned off your Windows firewall. You can disable the warnings in the control panel under Security Center.

that genuine crap is so annoying, you can uninstall it still I think... we have been having problems at work with it saying machines have pirated versions of windows even tho we have a volume licence from microsoft :rolleyes:

FLECOM said:
that genuine crap is so annoying, you can uninstall it still I think... we have been having problems at work with it saying machines have pirated versions of windows even tho we have a volume licence from microsoft :rolleyes:
This sounds like the same exact problem they are having.

To the poster above this one (message just keeps popping up 2-3 times every couple hours saying "Your system may be at risk").

The things is when you click on it, it sends you to a page to "Buy a genuine validation key".

FLECOM said:

Is it possible that your volume license has been leaked out on the net by someone causing ms to blacklist it? Hell one of my clients today had a machine where someone loaded a pirate colume licence copy of xp pro on it that was going nuts with the your copy is not legit thing. What pissed me off is that the machine had a real COA sticker on it. I ended up doing an inplace upgrade with my legit volume licence disk since it had a coa on it.

If you want to be able to disable the Genuine Windows Advantage Add-on for IE (accessible via Tools|Manage Add-ons... in IE), you might be surprised (or not) to see that Microsoft will not let you do so. It gives you some sort of stupid "disabled by Administrator" message, even when you're logged on as Administrator (I guess MS thinks it's the administrator for your computer).

To enable the radio button that allows you to disable this worthless add-on, follow these instructions I found:

1. Open Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) go to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Security Features > Add-on Management.
2. Double click Add-on List and select enabled.
3. Click on Show then on Add.
4. In enter name put {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} .
5. In enter value put 2.
6. OK, Apply, OK.
7. Now you can disable/enable the add-on.

DamienThorn said:
If you want to be able to disable the Genuine Windows Advantage Add-on for IE (accessible via Tools|Manage Add-ons... in IE), you might be surprised (or not) to see that Microsoft will not let you do so. It gives you some sort of stupid "disabled by Administrator" message, even when you're logged on as Administrator (I guess MS thinks it's the administrator for your computer).

To enable the radio button that allows you to disable this worthless add-on, follow these instructions I found:

1. Open Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) go to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Security Features > Add-on Management.
5. In enter value put 2.
6. OK, Apply, OK.

You will have problems with the update site if you do this.

DamienThorn said:

5. In enter value put 2.
6. OK, Apply, OK.

And then where do I disable the addon at?

Well will the solution that you stated git rid of the task bar icon (little star looking thing)? And also when the machine boots up it makes you wait X amount of seconds before you can login also.

acascianelli said:
You will have problems with the update site if you do this.

I'm dloading the MS updates as we speak, and I've disabled the authentication junk.

jordan12 said:
And then where do I disable the addon at?

Open up internet exlorer. Tools --> Manage Add-ons. You'll see it there and can disable it when you complete the steps I outlined.

kur1j said:
Well will the solution that you stated git rid of the task bar icon (little star looking thing)? And also when the machine boots up it makes you wait X amount of seconds before you can login also.

Not familiar with the task bar icon you're referring to or about the login time. I've never had either of those, though I only use professional installations, if that makes any kinds of a difference.

Well I have followed the instructions that you stated but the machine still has the little icon and it still keeps stating the error that "this system may be at risk" every few hours in the task bar link in the previous picture.

Didn't know how else to get a screen shot of the login screen so I had to actually take pictures. Sorry for how crappy they are but it should give you an idea of what it kinda looks like.

http://www.daretothinkdifferent.com/windowsauth/

Also there is another picture in there showing the addons and shows it being disabled but as stated above the error bubble in the task bar keeps popping up.

I did forget to take a picture of the counter counting down until you can actually get into windows. If you need a picture of that also just let me know.

Genuine Advantage is Microsoft spyware

By Brian Livingston

Windows Genuine Advantage — the controversial program Microsoft auto-installed as a "critical security update" on many PCs starting on Apr. 25 — not only causes problems for many users but has now been proven to send personally identifiable information back to Redmond every 24 hours.

This behavior clearly fits any plausible definition of "spyware." Some tech writers have said categorizing WGA as spyware is arguable. But I have no hesitation in calling the program a security nightmare that Microsoft should never have distributed in its present form.

In my May 25 newsletter, I called Microsoft's WGA download a "severe blunder." It causes serious problems for some legitimate Windows users and was sprung on customers with no notice other than a press release the day before.

No PC-using company that values security and reliability can allow a program like WGA to send data to a distant server, download additional software, morph its behavior, or remotely change the functionality of Windows (as I describe below). I don't believe individuals should put up with this, either.

Today, I'll explain the problems and let you know what you can do to fix them.

If the spyware label fits, wear it

In a statement released on June 8, Microsoft officially denies that WGA is spyware. Let's settle this question right off the bat so we can quickly move on to more important things.

Microsoft's denial is based on its own definition of spyware:

"Broadly speaking, spyware is deceptive software that is installed on a user's computer without the user's consent and has some malicious purpose. WGA is installed with the consent of the user and seeks only to notify the user if a proper license is not in place. WGA is not spyware."
This is patently absurd. Many spyware programs, such as peer-to-peer file sharing applications, are knowingly installed with the user's consent. The user downloads the software to get music, a screen saver, or whatever other benefit is promised.

What makes a program spyware, among other things, is that it operates in ways that aren't clearly disclosed before installation and it reports data back to a central server. Furthermore, this activity needn't be malicious. Many spyware programs do nothing more than serving up targeted advertising or tracking anonymous marketing behavior. If a user wants such tracking functions, they might be fine. But if the user wasn't clearly made aware of this, whether or not such software has a malicious purpose, it's still spyware.

The majority of published definitions of spyware focus the fact on that a program quietly gathers and transmits data. For example, here's an excerpt from the first definition returned by Google when define spyware is entered:

"Any software that covertly gathers user information through the user's Internet connection without his or her knowledge, usually for advertising purposes."
To help you understand the latest revelations about Windows Genuine Advantage's behaviors, let's walk through the latest facts that have been discovered about WGA.

What Genuine Advantage actually does

What we've found about WGA fits neatly into four behaviors that are typical of all spyware:

1. Lack of disclosure before installation. Windows users in the affected countries (U.S., U.K., Australia, etc.) who had Automatic Updates set to "auto-install" received WGA without user action, as though it was a critical security update — which it clearly was not. Even those users who ran Windows Update or Microsoft Update manually, however, were misinformed about what WGA would do. In 17 pages of screen shots, ZDNet blogger David Berlind demonstrates this, concluding:

"I was not asked for consent when the WGA Validation Tool — the one that, like spyware, phones home — installed itself. In fact, as can be seen from this screenshot which immediately preceded the automatic download and installation of the WGA Validation Tool, I could easily argue that I was misled into thinking I was going to download and install something else when in fact, I was downloading and installing, without my consent, software that apparently phones home."
A separate WGA Notification Tool is also downloaded. This program does not contact Microsoft's server, but merely displays warnings on a user's PC if a Genuine Advantage test is failed for whatever reason. After clicking several links in the manual download process, Berlind found only a vague explanation of WGA through what he calls a "circuitous route."

2. Transmits data to a central computer. The WGA Validation Tool contacts a Microsoft server every time a PC is booted up and every 24 hours after that. (Some of the earliest alarms about this were sounded by Lauren Weinstein, a co-founder of People for Internet Responsibility, in postings June 5 through 13.) WGA's "phone home" events, like all Internet packets, contain the IP address of the affected PC and the date and time, indicating when it booted up or had run for 24 hours. In addition, Microsoft's WGA director, David Lazar, told the Associated Press in a June 7 interview that the program also:

"...gathers information such as the computer's manufacturer and the language and locale it is set for."
This is enough data to easily identify individual PCs. And, of course, WGA can be modified remotely to collect additional information (as explained in point 3).

3. Downloads other software and morphs itself. WGA's daily contact with Microsoft's servers is specifically designed to allow the company to download new instructions. According to Microsoft's June 8 statement and Lazar's interview, this includes:

• Changing how often WGA contacts Microsoft's servers;
• Disabling features of WGA or disabling the WGA software entirely;
• Adding to the license keys that WGA treats as invalid; etc.

4. Cannot easily be uninstalled. No entry appears in the Add/Remove Software control panel for patches 892130 or 905474 — the Validation Tool and the Notification Tool. If you manually delete WGA's executable file, Windows regenerates it. (I'll discuss remedies for this below.)

Perhaps most shocking is a trait of WGA that most other spyware doesn't suffer from. WGA is beta software that even Microsoft doesn't consider ready for release.

Section 4 of the WGA Validation Tool EULA (End User License Agreement) states:

"4. PRE-RELEASE SOFTWARE. This software is a pre-release version. It may not work the way a final version of the software will. We may change it for the final, commercial version. We also may not release a commercial version."
Microsoft's June 8 statement confirms this by repeatedly calling the WGA rollout a "pilot program" or a "pilot version." Of course, "pre-release software" and "pilot version" mean exactly the same thing — beta.

At least that explains some of the many problems that Windows users are having with WGA.

Problems with WGA — and some solutions

It's important to remember that Windows Genuine Advantage is not an omnipotent, do-everything program. Its stated goals are simple. If an instance of Windows doesn't seem to have a valid license, (1) display notices to the user and (2) prevent any updates being downloaded from Microsoft.com except security upgrades that are rated "Critical."

Despite these limited tasks, WGA seems to cause a wide variety of headaches. Since my May 25 article appeared, I've collected reports from the field and from readers describing the following categories of issues:

1. False positives of legitimate copies of Windows. Numerous users report that WGA refuses to validate licensed copies of Windows that are unquestionably genuine. At Microsoft's official online forum called WGA Validation Problems, many people report problems even with packaged copies of Windows that were purchased directly from Microsoft.

2. No updates at all unless WGA is accepted. Although a WGA failure is supposed to only prevent affected users from downloading nonsecurity updates, many Windows Secrets readers report that legitimate copies of Windows refuse to display any updates except the WGA download — until the Validation and Notification Tools are installed. Phillip "Skip" Lehrfeld writes:

"I chose to download the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB 892130) on March 6, 2006. I followed this with Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB 905474) on May 4, 2006.

"On June 2, 2006, I was checking the Update site as I was informed that there was a new Critical update to be downloaded. I checked the site and it told me I could not get my update as I was missing a critical tool. I checked it out and it told me I was missing the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool. I checked my history and sure enough I had installed it on March 6.

"OK, I will bite, and I downloaded it again. Yes, the number was KB 892130, the same as before. Then it wanted me to install the second one again. I installed Windows Genuine Advantage Notification, KB 905474, for the second time. Having installed the two for the second time, there were no new updates to install. Those were the updates to be installed. ...

"After the reinstallation, I checked the history section of the site and now I have the two updates installed twice successfully.

"I have an authorized copy of Windows XP and had no problems with the above events; but it leaves me to wonder what is going on and are they now doing something else to my system without revealing what is going on."

The redundant WGA install messages are probably caused by changed code that Microsoft wished to download to defeat some workarounds that disabled WGA.

Numerous other readers say that Microsoft's update site also reported to them that there were no patches except WGA, although important updates were, in fact, available.

3. "Notify only" options disabled. We have some reports that the "notify only" options in Automatic Updates are greyed out and can't be selected. G. Allen Taylor, M.D., writes:

"With regard to the OS updates, which I have so faithfully and obediently installed, I now suspect that one of them has 'grayed out' the Options menu in Windows Update on both my computers. "While formerly I could choose to automatically or manually download and/or install the periodic updates, I now have no choice on either of my computers. Whether I want them or not, all updates are downloaded when I'm online and installed then or the next time I reboot."
Dr. Taylor offers a fix, which involves the fact that a Group Policy was somehow enabled that prevents any option other than auto-updates.

The solution requires a change to Group Policy or the Registry. The procedures are described at the Windows XP MVPs site.

4. Reinstalls from valid CDs fail the Genuine Advantage test. By far the most serious side-effect of WGA is that it doesn't validate instances of Windows that are reinstalled, even when a genuine CD-ROM from a major computer maker is used. Lauren Weinstein writes:

"It appears that it is exceedingly common for repair operations to reinstall based on "cloned" or otherwise duplicated copies of the Microsoft OS, rather than try to restore or reauthenticate based on the original users' OS serial numbers or authentication codes. Original restore disks and key information cards/labels are frequently missing, making it difficult to duplicate the original authentication environment."
I've seen reports of this on Microsoft's own forum involving such cases as Best Buy's Geek Squad reinstalling Windows with the user's original, licensed Dell CD-ROM.

Despite all of the reported problems, Microsoft officials aren't very forthcoming on the subject of WGA. On June 9, I asked to interview David Lazar in Redmond and submitted a few questions in writing. Five days later, a spokesman replied, "Unfortunately, we will not be able to participate in this opportunity."

Many Windows users seem to be in denial that WGA could be spyware, because Microsoft is such a big, well-known company. Unfortunately, that was what people thought of the Sony BMG recording label before it started distributing music CDs last year with rootkit software that infected PCs.

I don't feel that Microsoft or Sony BMG are evil incarnate. But we must recognize that Microsoft is now just one more spyware distributor among the many we have to watch out for.

How to make sure WGA doesn't bite you

It's important not to panic about Windows Genuine Advantage. At this point, its worst side-effect is interfering with the normal patch process — but far more common is that it merely displays annoying warning messages for no apparent reason.

If you've already allowed WGA to install, I can't recommend that you try to uninstall it. That's because Microsoft has made a passing grade on Genuine Advantage a requirement for almost every kind of download you might want from Redmond. Without passing a Genuine Advantage checkup, most Windows users now can't get Internet Explorer beta 7, for example, although you might not care. But you just might have a good reason to install a newer, more secure version of Windows Media Player or any of dozens of other official updates.

If you insist on trying to uninstall WGA, the My Digital Life site has posted no fewer than 15 proposed hacks that attempt to circumvent Microsoft's anti-uninstall measures. Most of these methods no longer work, due to recent Microsoft code changes. Even if you did disable the app, it's pointless to have done so if you ever need to download any Microsoft widget some day that requires WGA. Again, I don't recommend that you bother trying to remove WGA if it's installed.

Instead, I strongly advise that you simply suppress WGA's negative side-effects:

Step 1. Stop the misleading installation of possibly unwanted programs. If you really don't need to download anything from Microsoft for a while, set the Automatic Updates control panel to Notify but don't download or install. When you're notified of new security updates, first read the free and paid versions of the Windows Secrets Newsletter for our reviews. Then manually run Microsoft Update and select only the patches that have no reported conflicts.

If Microsoft Update subsequently refuses to download patches you need, go ahead and accept the WGA installs, then take steps 2 and 3. Be aware that some programs, such as Microsoft's Windows Defender (formerly MS Antispyware Beta), won't update themselves unless Windows' auto-update is on. (Thanks to reader Raymond Combs for his research into this.)

Step 2. Disable WGA's incessant notifications. If WGA guesses, correctly or incorrectly, that your copy of Windows is unlicensed, it displays a warning at least once a day for 14 days, then once an hour after that. Fortunately, Microsoft has made it easy to disable all such warnings. Right-click the WGA logo in the system tray, then select Change notification settings. Turn off the display of notifications, click Save Settings, select I understand, and finally click Yes I'm Sure. Reboot the PC. The WGA logo will remain in the tray but notifications will no longer appear. The notices will come back, however, if you happen to install a future version of WGA from Microsoft.

Step 3. Prevent WGA from phoning home to Microsoft servers. The WGA process that calls out to its remote masters can be blocked by 2-way software firewalls such as ZoneAlarm and McAfee. To do so, simply deny the connection when your firewall pops up an alert about Windows Genuine Advantage trying to use the Internet. Alternately, hard-code a denial via the firewall's user interface. No ill effects of preventing WGA from establishing a connection have been reported.

This story has legs

I'm afraid I'll have more tales to tell in future weeks as the fallout expands. Microsoft executives seem totally oblivious to how much public trust they've squandered by installing WGA in a sneaky way. Microsoft has repeatedly assured users that Automatic Updates would only be used to download critical security fixes. "Delivering security updates right to your computer automatically," they said.

Abusing PC users' need for security patches is a betrayal that Microsoft can ill afford. Whoever the marketing geniuses are who've seized Microsoft's security infrastructure to push out spyware, they need to be fired.

I'm not holding my breath waiting for that. Instead, I'm researching a totally independent way for Windows users to keep their PCs tuned without depending on Microsoft Update at all. Stay tuned.

http://www.windowssecrets.com/comp/060615/

Great amount of information in that last post but the solutions that he listed do not seem to work any more.

Step 2. Disable WGA's incessant notifications. If WGA guesses, correctly or incorrectly, that your copy of Windows is unlicensed, it displays a warning at least once a day for 14 days, then once an hour after that. Fortunately, Microsoft has made it easy to disable all such warnings. Right-click the WGA logo in the system tray, then select Change notification settings. Turn off the display of notifications, click Save Settings, select I understand, and finally click Yes I'm Sure. Reboot the PC. The WGA logo will remain in the tray but notifications will no longer appear. The notices will come back, however, if you happen to install a future version of WGA from Microsoft.

If you try to right click on the icon it sends you to a website that has the "save" button greyed out.

Well thank you all for you much needed input I think I have this one whipped. After many hours of searching for a solution I think I have found one.

WGA Workarounds remove WGATray.exe

This copy of Microsoft Windows XP is not genuine - Want to bypass and remove this warning by disabling WGATray.exe ?

Windows XP Pirates have again found workaround methods to bypass the new Microsoft Anti-Piracy effort - Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications that notifies you through annoying pop-up messages if your copy of Windows is not genuine.

The WGA Notifications patch is installed if the user has opted to automatically update Windows via the Windows Update Website or if a XP users manually downloads the latest Windows updates.

A workaround posted on internet WGA install workaround (KB905474) suggests the following:

End the process wgatray.exe in Windows TaskManager and restart Windows XP in safe mode. Now delete the following files:

Delete WgaTray.exe from c:\windows\system32
Delete WgaTray.exe from c:\windows\system32\dllcache

PICTURE REMOVED SO IT IS NOT A HOTLINK (Website listed below)

Start Windows Registry editor and delete the folder “WGALOGON” located in the following location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinlogonNotify. Delete all references in your registry to WgaTray.exe

Another alternative suggest that three files are installed Windows XP System Folder:

\WINDOWS\system32\WgaLogon.dll
\WINDOWS\system32\WgaTray.exe
\WINDOWS\system32\LegitCheckControl.dll

The wgatray.exe process makes the check for genuine windows software. You can disable WGA by removing the execute bit on WgaLogon.dll. That way, winlogon can’t call it as a notification package at boot, and since WgaLogon is responsible for running and maintaining WgaTray.exe, no more tray popups either.

To change the execute bit of WgaLogon.dll, first turn off Simple File Sharing. Now right click the file in Windows Explorer and open the Security Tab. Hit the Advanced button, uncheck the Inherit box at the bottom, hit the Copy button, then hit OK. Go through each listed user/group and remove the “Read & Execute” permission for that file, leaving the “Read” permission as-is.

Hit OK to apply the permission changes and close the file properties dialog. Restart the machine. You can now turn “Use simple file sharing” back on, if you want.

A third alternative posted on the internet suggest that users clear the content of file data.dat located in the following directory:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Windows Genuine Advantage\data

Save the data.dat empty file and change the attributes to “Read Only” - Restart you computer. Or start your PC in Safe Mode and delete the following files from Windows system32 folder - wgalogon.dll spmgs.dll wgatray.exe The WGA setup file is in C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\ Download\6c4788c9549d437e76e1773a7639582a

If you don’t use “Fast User Switching”, you can disable the Windows XP Welcome Screen if you are logged in as an Administrator. This will remove the initial WGA Warning Screen:

1. Click on Start -> Control Panel ->User Accounts
2. Click on “Change the way users log on or off”
3. Uncheck “Use the Welcome Screen” - Choose Apply
4. Close the User Accounts window and the Control Panel
5. The next time you reboot your computer, the classic login prompt will be used

To enable Fast User Switching, you must also enable the Use the Welcome screen option. Also, Fast User Switching cannot be used when Offline Files are enabled.

Disable wgatray.exe - Some users are claiming that removing the WGATray.exe (or killing the WGATray.exe process) are working for them. Here’s how to search for WGATray.exe file - Screenshot

None of these methods are guaranteed to work and people are just experimenting. Meanwhile Microsoft is not willing to relent to crackers this time and are planning to release an update of WGADiag2.exe utility in the next few days.

WGADiag2 will also fix the problem with registry key permissions may cause the installation of Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications KB905474 to fail from Windows Update:

Here’s a manual fix provided by Microsoft. These permissions can be repaired using Registry Editor as follows:

1. Click Start, and then click Run
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK
3. Expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
4. Locate the subkey HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\LegitCheckControl.LegitCheck
5. Right-click the subkey and select Permissions….
6. Ensure that Administrators allowed Full Control permission
7. Repeat steps 3-6 for the subkey
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\LegitCheckControl.LegitCheck.1

Microsoft has also published a kB article if the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) validation check process does not validate successfully on a Microsoft Windows XP-based computer, and you receive one or both of the following error messages:

Product Key Inaccessible 0×80080212

This problem occurs when you do not have the appropriate permissions for the Windows Genuine Advantage\Data folder. In the Permissions for Users section, make sure that Read & Execute, List Folder Contents and Read permissions are given. If the previous steps fail, start the computer in Safe Mode and rename the %allusersprofile%\Application Data\Windows Genuine Advantage directory.

Various patches already exists to byepass the WGA check that validates your copy of Windows XP with Windows Update
As of this post there is no wait time to login and I have no WGA tray icon saying the machine is not genuine.

Wow what a simple search in google too... "WGA removal" and it was the first link.

http://wannabegeek.org/content/view/2527/47/

FLECOM said:

In addition, the genuine validation stuff won't work with Windows NT! So if you need an NT update your SOL. They have a different genuine verification thing on their web site when you download a file for other operating sytems but it just says: Windows NT genunine authenticity is not supported and assumes you have a pirated version and won't give you the update! The problem is 1) its the real thing 2) they don't support NT anymore so the updates should be free.

A little off topic but just to let you know you may still have toruble with updates if you switch back to 2000, ME or NT.

Back