Samsung 940BW (19" WS w/ 4ms response time), Thoughts??

freakycody

Gawd
How come no one is talking about the Samsung 940BW?? It looks freaking tight!!!
It is a 19inch WS (1440 x 900) with 4ms response time. Fastest I have seen for a widescreen. Plus 19" is perfect for those people who do not have top of line vid card for the 20"+ widescreen 1680 x 1050 or want to crank the settings to the max with a top of the line card. The weird thing is that this looks to be only available to the canadian market and some US retailers. The monitor is not even listed on the US version of the samsung website, but it is listed on the canadian version. http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/monitor/lcd_digital/ls19hawkbqxaa.asp
Plus it is Vista ready!!
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/monitors/0,39029456,49276364,00.htm#comments

I am just curious as to if anyone has one or if there are any good reviews. I was looking at the
va1912wb and this seems like a better 19" widescreen. Thoughts?

THANK YOU!

I've been looking for any sight of this monitor for a while out of pure curiosity. Theres an $80.00 off coupon at costco in august, and i couldnt find this monitor anywhere. Still curious as to a price though, maybe ill look everywhere now that i know the name of it.

What's this about Costco? I am a member so where can I find the $80 coupon off (will it comin in mail around August?). And how do you know about it so far in advance (u said Costco). Also if you are curious about price it looks to be around $250 to $270 (froogle and I know it is $250 at the US site of NCIX.com) If costco is gonna have it for 80bucks off in august I will wait for sure :D . Whiffle boy, please let me know.

Damnit, just after I get a 215TW Samsung refreshes their whole product line.

If anyone is lucky enough to get their hands on a 205BW, I would be greatful if they say it fixes current banding issues.

A 19" widescreen is friggin' TINY.

If you can't afford a 20.1" widescreen or the video card to drive it, then I would stick with a 4:3 19" LCD. You will probably be much happier...

freakycody said:
What's this about Costco? I am a member so where can I find the $80 coupon off (will it comin in mail around August?). And how do you know about it so far in advance (u said Costco). Also if you are curious about price it looks to be around $250 to $270 (froogle and I know it is $250 at the US site of NCIX.com) If costco is gonna have it for 80bucks off in august I will wait for sure :D . Whiffle boy, please let me know.

I got a book of coupons in the mail a couple months ago. The coupon was for a "19-inch widescreen monitor" from Samsung, and i couldnt find one that looked like the picture for the life of me. They put a "price before coupon" on them usually but not on this so i knew nothing about it, when Costco starts stocking it, im interested to see what they actually sell it for retail. If its anywhere near the $250 CAD prices im seeing then this will be a hell of a deal.

Oh, the coupon is for August 7-13 btw, it will probably be on the sheet they hand you at the door that week. Just keep checking costco.ca to see if they add it before and if its going to be worth waiting for the coupon, some of their monitor prices havent gone down like at other stores and are pretty rediculous.

Bummage, Wiffle Boy, you are a canadian. I live in the "states" as u like to call it. I wonder if Costco will have it here in USA on sale at the same time. i hvae not noticed any coupons from them as of late, so maybe us american still have a chance.

Well, a guy on a CS:S server that I play frequently on (i am in the clan) has this exact monitor and he says it is awesome. Here is his direct statement from our server forum:

This Samsung monitor just came out thats why you don't see any reviews for it. NCIX is one of the only stores I know that carries it. I couldn't pass off on the price. As for your question about desktop performance yeah you lose a bit of height but the monitor "feels" bigger than typical 4:3 monitors because of it being widescreen. This monitor has an aspect ratio of 16:10 and movies are perfect for it since most new movies are made for widescreen. I used the movie Good Night and Good Luck to test black levels and the Fifth Element HDTV broadcast to test color accuracy. I liked what I saw. This is a Samsung monitor you really can't go wrong with them. I regard them as the top LCD manufacturer, Viewsonic being right behind them. Even Dell's LCD lineup uses rebranded Samsungs. I've been playing CSS with it and do not see any ghosting. The monitor can also be set to 75Hz refresh. That doesn't really matter much for an LCD but in CSS it helps especially if you have VSYNC and triple buffer on. The LCD lamp is evenly distributed throughout the monitor unlike the Acer which I believe has certain parts of the desktop that are a brighter. One caveat with the monitor is the small viewing angle. Its much prefered that you face the screen directly for best picture quality. This shouldn't be a problem unless you have people over watching it at extreme angles.

It also has a DVI and VGA connectors which is nice. I don't believe any other widescreen monitor at this size has both. It also is one of the few monitors that support HDCP which is required in the upcoming Windows Vista if you wanna watch copyright protected content in all its glory. At the end of the day you can look at all the specs you want but what matters the most is what you see with your own eyes. Thats how I judge monitors when I buy them not specs. It's best that you have a chance to see them at the store before buying. Although I just blind bought this one being that its a Samsung. I have another 20" LCD monitor and 2 Sony trinitrons but so far I prefer this Samsung for gaming. Since its so cheap I plan on buying a second one and connect them together for software development purposes.

Hope that helps.

This monitor sounds flippin tight. When I get some cash I will have to pick this monitor up :) (or maybe wait for the ole b-day). If it comes to Costco in the USA then that is even an added bonus. Well just thought I would let you all know what I had found out, since this is a brand new released monitor and not much is know about it.

This monitor looks tempting. I was thinking of getting a Dell 17", but a 19" Samsung widescreen with HDCP for a bit more is a no-brainer. I wonder why it's so cheap?

I was planning on grabbing the 940BW but I just returned from my 2 week trip through central america (Yucatan area of Mexico, Belize, Guatemala) and I am broke. So this is gonna have to wait. Hopefully a few more people will purchase them so we can see how they are performing. But it looks like the few people that have them are really liking them. There was a recent review on widescreengaming.com about it, and the reviewer really liked the lcd (just search the forum for 940BW).

IcedEmotion said:
This monitor looks tempting. I was thinking of getting a Dell 17", but a 19" Samsung widescreen with HDCP for a bit more is a no-brainer. I wonder why it's so cheap?
Well it is not really a lot cheaper than its 19" WS companions. The va1912wb by viewsonic that a lot of people liked is around 220 and the Acer 19" WS is around that same price level, while the 940BW is around 250, though I do agree the price per performance is a lot better since you are getting a faster lcd and it is hdcp compliant. I doubt Samsung would be making a cheap product, they are probably just trying to be competitive with the other monitors on the market.

count me in! been looking for a 19" WS, looking at acer and viewsonic but this one is better.

I just bought the 205BW last night from Fry's and I must say that everything that Budwise said in his review of the 204B can definitely be extended to this monitor. Fry's has a $50 MIR with this monitor. I bought it for $349... cheaper than the 204B. This is a great monitor for those wanting a WS alternative to the 204B. If you want something cheaper and don't mind sacrificing an extra inch, Fry's (Outpost.com) also has a 19" version, the 940BW, for $269 with a $40 MIR. Purchases must be made by 7/27/06... hurry if you want this monitor. ;)

Do you mean something like a screen door effect? If you dont know, a screen door effect is when you have a finely variated background (like the ones in the links), and when you look it at appears to be warped (google it for more info). If it is actually flickering I would say there is something wrong with the monitor itself, but dont hold me to that thought.

I bought a 940BW at a local CompUSA, and an L194WT from BB over the weekend.
Both are the latest 19" widescreen w/ HDCP offering from Samsung and LG.
L194WT is $30 more than 940BW, $120 if you count the rebate, but I like what I see with L194WT more than 940BW. It must be 2000:1 contrast ratio on L194WT vs. 500:1 on 940BW.

Which one should I keep?

well after a quick google, i see the L194WT has a 5ms response. So I take it there should be no ghosting jsut as in the 940bw. I would pick the monitor that has the better colors and black levels since both are fast lcds. Try playing some FPS or watching some darker movies (ie matrix etc) and see what one has better representation of colors and black levels. Please post back some of your thoughts on both monitors on ghosting, colors, backlight bleeding, and black levels. I am curious to hear what you have to say. Thanks.

Big Fat Duck said:
is the 940BX a refresh for this model ?

No, the 940BW is a brand new monitor from Samsung. It is a widescreen lcd with a 4ms response. It looks like the the 940BX is a refresh for the older 940B model which is not a a widescreen but rather a 4:3 ratio lcd.

I believe the 4ms on the 940b is GTG. From what I've seen of it, its the same monitor as the 930B with a new base, and a GTG instead of a true response time listed.

Tutelary said:
I believe the 4ms on the 940b is GTG. From what I've seen of it, its the same monitor as the 930B with a new base, and a GTG instead of a true response time listed.

Just to let you know the 940b and the 940bw are 2 different monitors. The 940bw is a newly released widescreen monitor (different aspect ratio than the 940b). You are correct about the 4ms response time being grey to grey, rather than being black white black.

And for all that care this monitor can also be found at Bestbuy and Officemax for the low price of 199 with an instant rebate (this week only).

I was going to get one then someone said the problem with 19 in widescreens is the width is more but the monitor is just the size of a 17 in as far as height goes. I need to go to BB and look at then when I get time.

anyone report any ghosting on this monitor in fast fps games?
blacks and bleeding?

any reviews of this or the L194WT...

man I got questions....I better stay clear of ratshack

sparks

Tutelary said:

Almost no one lists true repsonse time (btwtb / on/off) anymore. The only brands I know of are the IPS panel monitors made buy NEC (20wmgx2 being an exception) and Eizo.

DaRkF0g said:
Damnit, just after I get a 215TW Samsung refreshes their whole product line.

If anyone is lucky enough to get their hands on a 205BW, I would be greatful if they say it fixes current banding issues.

I bought one a few days ago (205bw) and no banding issues so far. Side by side, this LCD seems to be nearly as big as the 215TW.

The first one I bought had 3 stuck pixels, which prompted immediate return to CompUSA. I made them test another one for me in store before I left so I knew it was straight (and it was).

Backlight bleeding is a SERIOUS bitch with this screen though... I wouldn't recommend it for people who insist on watching movies via their computer. Clarity and color richness is excellent and gaming is amazing compared to my 19" Sony. The contrast ratio on the 215TW is 1000:1 and on the 205BW it's 700:1 so its certainly not as refined but comparable. I didn't feel the TW was worth the price jump from $350 to $500. $80 MIR on the 205BW ended on the 19th, but they may renew another one.

I recommend it for gaming and typical PC use but not graphic design or cinema. Overall, VERY happy with this purchase!! If I can find my fiance's camera - I'll take pics.

xtasyindecay was the one you got with 3 stuck pixels the only one you saw with issues?

does samsung 0 dead pixels work on this monitor.
reason I ask is some sites have it for 179-189 after rebate and worstbuy will not open a box and test before they sell it.and won't say what they will do with stuck or dead pixels.
.A holes
I f ing hate worstbuy

sparks

sparks said:
xtasyindecay was the one you got with 3 stuck pixels the only one you saw with issues?

does samsung 0 dead pixels work on this monitor.
reason I ask is some sites have it for 179-189 after rebate and worstbuy will not open a box and test before they sell it.and won't say what they will do with stuck or dead pixels.
.A holes
I f ing hate worstbuy

sparks

The floor display was very nice. The first one I took home was f*cked though. When I brought it back - the particular sales rep I talked to offered to let me buy the monitor first (dammit, of course) so if it had stuck or dead pixels again could exchange it there instead of making the trek home again. No one is going to let you open boxes until you find a good though, (which i understood).

I do not care for Worstbuy though - those guys are pricks (especially Geeksquad).

so what panel does the 940BW use? Im thinking TN but i could be wrong.

I picked up a 940BW from Best Buy the other day for $200 and it's an awesome monitor. No dead pixels, no banding issues, no backlight bleeding, and no ghosting in games. A perfect feature-rich monitor for someone on a budget.

I just got back from BB and had a chance to check it out. As someone mentioned before, because of its widescreen, the actual height isn't in accordance with the 19" size. It does look very crisp (traditional Samsung quality) and it is on sale this week at BB, Samsclub.com, and Office Max for $199.99.

Would anyone have any idea what I could gain from upgrading to this from a Syncmaster 914v (besides widescreen and digital)?

well after waiting long enough, I bought the 940BW. Got it at Best Buy for 199.99 (216 final after taxes). I am realling enjoying it. I will talk more about my impressions tomorrow as I need to hit the hay. Lets just say widescreen CS:S is AWESOME :D

Not sure how people are saying this is a downgrade from a 19" CRT. This is my first LCD and I am not feeling like it is small at all. I think the widescreen helps with that.

Though I am having an issue running CS:S at 75hz (desktop is fine at 75), my screen gets all glitchy and i have to uninstall vid card driver and reinstall to make work, but maybe i can find a way around that. So i guess i will just game at 60hz till i figure this out.

Time for bed :eek:

I was thinking of buying this but I am not sure if I want to get teh 19" regular or widescreen. Will I really miss the extra space and how does it do gaming for games that do not support widescreen res?

CrazyJ said:
Will I really miss the extra space and how does it do gaming for games that do not support widescreen res?

It should just format video to the 4:3 ratio.

Can anyone post some pictures of their 940BW (it would be even better if you could place it next to a standard ratio monitor?

Back