Continuous BEEEEEEPS, is my cpu going?

cpush

Limp Gawd
So I when I was still away at college, in my hot dorm room, near the end of the semester I was experiencing some lock-up issues.

First the system would freeze (freeze or bsod). So I would reboot, IF I could get it to boot, it would freeze in the bios, almost instantly. Otherwise, It would just give me continuous BEEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEP.

I would proceed to blow out dust, reseat hardware (including cpu and ram), etc. And miraculously, it would come back to normal. It would be fine for another month or so.

It has happened again, except this time it is not coming back. I cannot get it to boot, or if I can (rarely) it will lock in windows in a short time.

My CPU temps are fine- 33c Idle, when my computer was booting I ran memtest86+ and found no memory errors. My system is as follows:

Chaintech VNF4 Ultra
Venice 3200+ @ 2.7 ghz (1.55v) stock aircooler - arctic silver 5
GeIL DDR500 @ 540 mhz (1:1 with CPU @ 3.3v - ddr booster)
OCZ Modstream 450
hitachi sataII 160
x800xl
sb audigy 2

So as you can see, I have a bit of an overclock, and my ram is getting lots of juice, but geil likes it. My cpu is not running dangerously hot. I have swapped out each stick of ram, and the same problem occurs.

I have noticed a slight discoloration on the bottom of the CPU between the pins (lighter). It is very subtle. My friend thought it was perhaps corrosion?

Any ideas/suggestions? I unfortunately have NO alternate parts to test at the moment.

For the rare times you can get to boot, did you get in the bios and set to stock settings ? If you can't, just reset the CMOS and it will use default settings.

Normally, each motherboard emit a serie of short and long beeps. Try to figure this then google for beeps codes for your particular motherboard. That will tell you what is the faulty component usually.

Sounds like the CPU is definitely overheating... might wanna throttle back that oc a wee bit.

doubtful. bios reads 33c

besides, the OC is gone once my computer finally boots as it restores bios defaults

Definitely find the beep codes.. Mine came in my motherboard manual... and actually now my ASUS has a nice little voice that speaks through my speakers instead... Scared the hell out of my first time I started it up.

Anyways, I'm sure there are codes for more, but generally I get beep codes for:

CPU (Which when this happened was bad, had to replace),
Memory (Which was normally because the memory was not properly seated, or I needed to clean the connections on the sticks)
or Video card (Same as memory)

Like I said, I'm sure there are codes for more, but these are the cases that I ran into. If I were you, I'd dig out your mobo manual.

Good luck!

Edit: May try a spare CPU if you have one lying around.

alright will do. I read that continuous long beeps = mem or vid error

one thing I forgot to mention was that one of the times it (semi) posted all I got was a blank screen that read something like:

R430 BIOS
X800XL

or something like that..

its not just 1 though, its continuous, maybe 2-3 seconds in duration

if it is like

beeeeeeeeeeep - beep - beep - beep

is usually ram - double check your mobo manual.

haha no no no.

it is BEEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEEP ...

I am at work so I will check it when I get home, but I have read on the internet that with award bios that means RAM or video error.

So it could be my:
-ram went bad from too many volts
-ram SLOTS on mobo went bad from too many volts?
-memory controller on CPU went bad?
-video?? wtf.. i guess

If you have run your memory at 3.3V while your CPU was at stock volts or below that could have caused some problems with the CPU. According to what I've heard A64 CPUs don't llike to have more than Vcore + ~2V on the memory.

I guess you could check if it's a Video Card error if you took out the card from the socket and tried to boot.

my cpu was always 1.55ish volts

now I cannot boot at all, only continuous beeps. Ive tried each stick of my ram alone, same result :(

I was saying to take out the video card and see what kinda beeps the BIOS gives you. If it gives you the same beeps as before then you can be sure it's a video card error.

Not necessarily, it depends on where video card initialization lies in the order of post.

i honestly think I did some damage with that ddr booster, either the ram or the CPU. But seeing as both sticks (individually) result in these beeps, my guess is the cpu :(

unless both sticks are fried...

another update:

I replaced the RAM with some old corsair pc3000 I had. Same beeps.

So I pulled the videocard, then turned it on. SILENCE. I then got excited and threw in an old PCI videocard. Either it doesn't work or my mobo didn't like it because there was no post, silence again.

I thought, maybe my videocard is going bad. I seated it FIRMLY, and screwed it in.

IT POSTS. I get excited. So I go into the bios, set my memory to "recommended" or default settings(2.5-4-4-7) at motherboard induced 2.8 volts. I ran memtest for about an hour and got like 4987532876 errors. So I decided to drop the timings and speed of the memory, and test again. I hit the power button and....

BEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEP

:( :( :(

Can I conclude it is the CPU yet?

One thing you might try if you have the option, is to try your CPU in another motherboard. It's possible that your motherboad may be going bad too.

Ryan

Back