First prey impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chams

Gawd
What does everyone think about this game so far? I think it really has alot of potential. I love the wall walking. :cool:

The demo was longer than I expected, and I feel that the game was pretty well done, atmosphere wise, gameplay wise, and the graphics are awesome. Get Prey out next month, and Duke by Christmas!

WOW best demo ever IMO but thats not saying much. Great game and I cant wait for the full version, when does that come out? Plus its only the second time I got dizzy from playing a game and this was worse then the driving game I played.

Granted, it's a demo, but it's pretty cool. I'm looking forward to this. It's supposed to be out July 10th, IIRC.

Great demo! Brutal, I love it.

Also in the bar, nice selection of songs. I mean, they put Clutch in there guys....Clutch! That's awesome.

Ah, love it!

HRslammR said:
i hear it doesn't support 1680x1050 =(

confirmation?

You have to fool around with the preyconfig.cfg file exactly the same way as other Doom 3 engine games. Its a shame that there are no widescreen resolutions right in the game (the game lets you pick aspect ratio but no WS res :confused: ) but a little editing and you'll get the 1680x1050 res.

seta r_customHeight "1050"
seta r_customWidth "1680"
seta r_mode "-1"

Ok,shoot me if Im outta line.....anybody know if this has been released for demo on the 360 today also?????
Sounds like this is a cool game.....cant wait to get home tonight and give it a run through on the PC, too.

And yes the release date is 10 July......I already pre-ordered it for the 360, if its good there then I'll probably get it for my PC.

magoo said:
Ok,shoot me if Im outta line.....anybody know if this has been released for demo on the 360 today also?????
Sounds like this is a cool game.....cant wait to get home tonight and give it a run through on the PC, too.

And yes the release date is 10 July......I already pre-ordered it for the 360, if its good there then I'll probably get it for my PC.

They said there would be demos for both. I think you may have to look for in through your xbox 360 internet thingy.

Same tweaks for QuakeIV apply here..Set the rez in the prey.cfg file..Easy as pie..Im running 1680x1050 maxed everything and running like butter..

I'm buying this game just for the music at the reservation, Heart, Edgar Winter, Ted Nugent, and the Blue Oyster Cult as a you get abducted is feaking classic. The game is fun too.

KillRoy X said:
Great demo! Brutal, I love it.

Also in the bar, nice selection of songs. I mean, they put Clutch in there guys....Clutch! That's awesome.

Ah, love it!

Honestly, that's enough to make me download it.

I've been telling people for WEEKS this game is a must buy. When I was at E3 this year I freaking played Prey for the 360 for about 2 hours straight. The gameplay is simply phenominal and just downright fun.

Atmosphere, environments and animations are top notch (for a Doom 3 engine based game remember), and this is a good example how a polished game should turn out.

Hats off to 3DRealms. :p

It's pretty good, but the combat leaves a lot to be desired.

The adaptive AI is nowhere to be seen in the demo, unfortunately, because the enemies remained retarded no matter how many times I one-shot killed them.

Otherwise, the new gameplay gimmicks and all that certainly sold me. Reminded me of Quake 4 a LOT though (the Stroggification), as well as some Soul Reaver-ish elements (the spirit walk and dying).

Hopefully the adaptive AI is really ALL THAT Human Head claims it to be in the full version.

Have Native American organizations started suing the game maker and publisher yet?

ScreamingBroccoli said:
I'm buying this game just for the music at the reservation, Heart, Edgar Winter, Ted Nugent, and the Blue Oyster Cult as a you get abducted is feaking classic. The game is fun too.

QFT. all the little touches in this game are /well/ done..

I agree the AI was a little lacking.. after FEAR, it's tough to go back to zombified baddies.

raystorm said:
You have to fool around with the preyconfig.cfg file exactly the same way as other Doom 3 engine games. Its a shame that there are no widescreen resolutions right in the game (the game lets you pick aspect ratio but no WS res :confused: ) but a little editing and you'll get the 1680x1050 res.

seta r_customHeight "1050"
seta r_customWidth "1680"
seta r_mode "-1"

I noticed the same thing and will have to play with that file.

I just set mine to:
seta r_customHeight "1440"
seta r_customWidth "900"
seta r_mode "-1"
and it looked really blocky.

DUH...I had width and height backwards.

For widescreen don't forget to add/change:

seta r_aspectRatio "2"

Runs great at 1920x1080, 4xAA and 16xAF, all other details set to high, with my Crossfire setup. Then again it should, it's an old engine.

I was wondering if somebody had a song list from the demo? I am very bad with song names and would like to get some of them. Thanks

I thought the demo was just so so; it did remind me of doom 3; they used their engine.

I mean sure the different gravity walking was neat and the story was interesting; although the whole indian/spirit guy was a bit off the wall ... I dont know ... I wasnt that excited about it.

Maybe its because I have been spoiled by great games such as fear and farcry ... I know after playing those demos I couldnt wait for the real thing.

This game I could care less ...

(oh I should mention the bar area was the best part; with the songs and the drunk guys) - but then after that it was just so so

this game has me hooked, i can not wait for it to be released so i can finish this story

fairly unique game, glad they waited so long to release it!

well i hate to be negitave but i thought it was hella fucking boring. BUt i think all single fps are boring it seems. Spoiled with mutiplayer. I thought it was great until the aliens came down. like that other guy said.

fucking around in the bar was the best part. Playing slots,black jack and poker and changing the songs... the game play and weapons where just boring to me. and the whole climbing on walls thing doesn't do anything for me.

My review of the demo. HORRIBLE and boring gameplay. Felt trapped at all times. Needs more open areas....but the graphics are bad ass!!

I wish Human Head did the software for all electronic slot machines out there...talk about LOOSE!

shot00004.jpg

That took me about 25 minutes to rack up, starting with 10 credits. ;)

Gave me something to do while I was going through the jukebox playlist.

999,999,999 is the max it'll score, and 999,999 is the max bet.

The18thLetter said:
It's pretty good, but the combat leaves a lot to be desired.

The adaptive AI is nowhere to be seen in the demo, unfortunately, because the enemies remained retarded no matter how many times I one-shot killed them.

Otherwise, the new gameplay gimmicks and all that certainly sold me. Reminded me of Quake 4 a LOT though (the Stroggification), as well as some Soul Reaver-ish elements (the spirit walk and dying).

Hopefully the adaptive AI is really ALL THAT Human Head claims it to be in the full version.

I agree about the combat. However, I was already getting tired of the gimmicks by the end of the demo. The multiplayer maps were interesting, but rather dizzying, as it seemed that you flip over some way every 5 feet.

logan1 said:
Have Native American organizations started suing the game maker and publisher yet?

When it hits the shelves they will. ACLU will join in the fun, too. I sued the publishing company that made Rune:Viking Warlord. I'm mostly Norwegian and we're not all warlords carrying dual axes. It got thrown out of court because I brought my axe. (yes I only have one!)

WhyYouLoveMe said:
When it hits the shelves they will. ACLU will join in the fun, too. I sued the publishing company that made Rune:Viking Warlord. I'm mostly Norwegian and we're not all warlords carrying dual axes. It got thrown out of court because I brought my axe. (yes I only have one!)

:D :p

Haha. I've not played the demo yet, but from the previews I'd think that Native American organizations would be happy to have a native american main character/hero? I mean, you don't play a drunken, firewater swilling savage do you? I got the impression that the hero was a kick ass "regular guy" who just so happens to be a Native American. Its a nice departure from the white or black space marine that usually battles the invading alien horde, ne?

When Don't Fear the Reaper came on the jukebox as everything was getting abducted, I laughed pretty hard. Nice little touch there.

the effects are amazing and runs great at high res (1680x1050) on my X1900 XT. Some slow downs with the high specular particles but for the most part 60fps. Gameplay is so so but the gravity stuff is cool and spirit world.

sorry.....so far meh.....
Doom3 and Quake4. (yeah I realize its on the Doom engine)
It has the look and feel of a mod.....not as polished as Id think a game with so much hype would be.
But Im not finished either.

magoo said:
sorry.....so far meh.....
Doom3 and Quake4. (yeah I realize its on the Doom engine)
It has the look and feel of a mod.....not as polished as Id think a game with so much hype would be.
But Im not finished either.

I think the dumb AI makes you think of a mod. But then again I liked Quake4. I love the trippyness of this game and dimensional warping. I loved the outdoor scene though because...well it was outdoors and nicely rendered. And didn't feel like another sci-fi doom game :)

I wonder if the whole game takes place in space... I hope it goes back to earth, and the music from the begining makes more appearances. The aliens have great taste, Judas Priest lol!

Being an old fart myself, I like the "classic rock" tunes in the game.

But I've figured out why they are there...not to appeal to some old fart demographic, but because when the game first started production, those songs were NEW. ;)

Hey, I'm 18 and that's what I listen to/play (guitar). I hate all this rap and pop shit with a passion. It's cool that they added those songs to the game. When I first walked into the bar I was like, "Holy shit, that's barracuda! No freakin' way!" Then I went to the jukebox thing and saw all the other great tunes with album covers no less. I think that sold me the game right there. Then at the end of the demo when the aliens were listening was great too.

ScreamingBroccoli said:
Hey, I'm 18 and that's what I listen to/play (guitar). I hate all this rap and pop shit with a passion. It's cool that they added those songs to the game. When I first walked into the bar I was like, "Holy shit, that's barracuda! No freakin' way!" Then I went to the jukebox thing and saw all the other great tunes with album covers no less. I think that sold me the game right there. Then at the end of the demo when the aliens were listening was great too.
Yeah the music kicked ass. I just downloaded that song since I never knew the name of the artist. I'll be buying a CD next time I'm an town.

Rabid Bunny said:
When Don't Fear the Reaper came on the jukebox as everything was getting abducted, I laughed pretty hard. Nice little touch there.

I totally agree. BOC at a time like that was just perfect! I laughed so many times during the demo.....just a great game where fun and looks have intersected.

One of the best games ever!!!!!!!!!!!

Played the demo 4 times, simply amazing!!!!!!!!!

Last time i enjoyed a game this much was HL2 and FarCry...and this only was a demo... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back