man i cant decide! NEC 20WMGX2 or Dell 2407WFP (rev A02)

Which would you buy?

• Total voters
what would you do? coming from a 21" CRT. would you sacrifice the 4" in screensize and get the NEC (which I want to use this monitor for a HDTV anyways) or get the 24" Dell

HELP!

Higher resolution = Better gaming, what can I say? :D Especially w/ your card

2407 = 1920x1200
GX2 = 1680x1050

unless you're very anal about response time and overall performance of the panel go with the 2407, the size advantage outweighs the benefits of the NEC IMO

Nec has built in tv tuner, looks good with pc and xbox 360. Dell 2407 alot of bugs to work out. If you can live with 4 inch difference get Nec.

NEC. Quality over quantity. I had the 2405. Didn't like it at all. Got rid of it.

I have the same dilemma. But honestly.. I want quality. I can handle a smaller screen. Im ordering the NEC in about an hour :)

If you've got the cash, the NEC over a Dell anyday of the week. The Dell LCD's don't even come close in speed, but do in image quality.

If I had the cash and didn't have to budget, I'd have two of those NEC flagships.

as of right now, if i had the cash (any freakin day now) i think i would order the dell. I mean i DO want to use this monitor for a HDTV too, but i seriously cannot justify spending just about as much for a 4" smaller display. Granted it might be the shiznit, but still, Im looking at overall useage here.

anyways, thats where i stand.

now after further review and searching...ive deciding on holding out for the BENQ FP241W

looks like this could be the be-all-end-all in this 24" size.

what's yet ANOTHER MONTH to wait for it's release!

What CRT are you coming from? Trinitron?

And 21" at that?

You'll be pissed with yourself for going to an LCD. I used to play UT2004 competitively, until I jumped on the LCD bandwagon and used an L90D+ exclusively for gaming. Bad move there. Needless to say, it's been 2 years, and I'm switching back to CRT.

If you don't game much, then go for LCD. I use a VP201b as my main screen, when photochopping, video editing, or browsing the net.

ajm786 said:
What CRT are you coming from? Trinitron?

And 21" at that?

You'll be pissed with yourself for going to an LCD. I used to play UT2004 competitively, until I jumped on the LCD bandwagon and used an L90D+ exclusively for gaming. Bad move there. Needless to say, it's been 2 years, and I'm switching back to CRT.

If you don't game much, then go for LCD. I use a VP201b as my main screen, when photochopping, video editing, or browsing the net.

i dont game that much, aside from some minimal CS:S, Quake4 (and other FPS)...mostly if i play any games its Madden, NHL, and Tiger Woods

the primary useage will be web design, photochopping, audio editing, HDTV and web surfing. CRT quality is still the best, but im looking for some more room on my desk and this 21" Trinitron cranks out waaaay too much heat in the summer!

If you don't game get the NEC if you can stand the rounded butt Bezel or the alright stand with speakers. The glossy makes watching HD more enjoyable. I have a 2405 & the Asus PW201. I use my Asus for watching HDTV even though I know that my 2405 can display a full 1080i HD picture. My Asus just looks better in terms of colors (PQ) and style (overall appearance). Plus if you read my review on the PW201 you would also see you are not losing too much as in inches when watching full HD content. Not that downloaded divx mpeg4 crap.

Plus the 7800GTX will drive the 2407 fine but you wil not be able to play max settings on some games unless you upgrade your video card. I know 1st hand.

Is the new BenQ going to be glossy?

My 7800GTX is getting a little choppy with my 20inch widescreen. I upgraded from a 17inch.

Same games, same settings, just getting a little choppy. I dont expect to be using max settings in future titles :(!

I can only imagine the hit of performance with 24inch!

JonDoms said:
If you don't game get the NEC if you can stand the rounded butt Bezel or the alright stand with speakers. The glossy makes watching HD more enjoyable. I have a 2405 & the Asus PW201. I use my Asus for watching HDTV even though I know that my 2405 can display a full 1080i HD picture. My Asus just looks better in terms of colors (PQ) and style (overall appearance). Plus if you read my review on the PW201 you would also see you are not losing too much as in inches when watching full HD content. Not that downloaded divx mpeg4 crap.

Plus the 7800GTX will drive the 2407 fine but you wil not be able to play max settings on some games unless you upgrade your video card. I know 1st hand.

Is the new BenQ going to be glossy?

Im not sure if it is or not. Here is the text pulled from the benq site

Unlike conventional LCD monitors, the FP241W features complete HD support, so you can enjoy the most dazzlingly video possible. Experience lifelike video with all your new generation electronics, such as the latest game consoles and HD DVD players.

HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface)
The BenQ FP241W is the world's first LCD monitor with HDMI. HDMI not only enables 5Gbps data transfers, but eliminates the need for signal conversions, ensuring the best quality video. In addition, unlike other high-performance displays, the FP241W uses only a single HDMI cable, which carries the best quality video signals. The result is less clutter and hassle-free installation.

A Great View
1920 x 1200 (WUXGA) resolution
With 1920 x 1200 (WUXGA) resolution, the FP241W can display more content while maintaining crisp details and legible text. And its wide-screen format ensures no image distortion or cropping.

Full display of two A4-size windows
Additionally, the FP241W can also display two complete A4-size windows side by side, making it easy to view two applications comfortably at the same time.

PIP (Picture in Picture) function
With the PIP feature, you can view video from two sources at once—for example, from a DVD player and from your PC.

Unequaled Picture Quality
With AMA technology built into the FP241W, it reduces grey-to-grey response times to a mere 8ms, ensuring ultra-smooth video without ghosting. Even with highly dynamic content such as movies and games, video is crisp and clean.. Additionally, exclusive Senseye™ technology and a 800:1 contrast ratio ensure that the FP241W delivers vibrant colors and exquisitely rendered details.

Flexible Adjustment
You can freely adjust the height and orientation of the screen for the ideal viewing angle and maximum comfort.

USB Ports
The FP241W is equipped with two USB ports located on the right side of the bezel and another on the upper part of the bezel for connecting other peripherals, such as webcams, USB keyboards, digital cameras and digital audio players.

Specifications

Screen Size 24"
Resolution 1920x1200(WUXGA)
Pixel Pitch 0.258
Brightness 300cd/㎡
Contrast Ratio 800:1
Response Time 16ms( 6ms GTG)
Display Area 518.4 x 324.0 (mm)
Display Colors 16.7 million
Viewing Angle 178/178(CR>=10)
Input Signals D-Sub/DVI-D/S-Video/Composite/ component /HDMI
Horizontal Frequency 30-81
Vertical Frequency 50-76
Video Bandwidth 25-165
Color Temperature Reddish/sRGB/Bluish +user mode
Power Consumption <95W(w/o USB)
Power Supply Built-in
Speakers none
Features Full HD Format Support: HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface)
1920 x 1200 (WUXGA) resolution
Full display of two A4-size windows
PIP (Picture in Picture) function
USB ports*3
Adjustments Tilt (down/ up)-5/20
Pivot adjustment
Height adjustment
Swivel (left/right)-45/45
Dimensions 567x248x474.2mm
Weight 10.6kg
Color Black
Accessories (included) CD-ROM manual Quick start guide Power cable D-Sub, DVI-D cable
Accessories (optional) none
Regulation Compliance TCO03

JonDoms said:
If you don't game get the NEC if you can stand the rounded butt Bezel or the alright stand with speakers.

I don't know why in your right mind you'd suggest to not use the NEC for gaming. Have you actually used one before?

Quality over quantity. NEC > Dell.

The TV Tuner and Speaker are what puts the price of the NEC up so high. But the tuner is a great addition, especially if you're gonna use it for an HDTV.

NEC comes w/ remote & can do PIP. Speakers are detachable. Picture quality is unrivaled compared to other LCDs.

deb0 said:
The Dell LCD's don't even come close in speed, but do in image quality.

They are both 6ms. Where is this speed difference you speak of?

As for me, I'd take 24" over 20" with the same or better image quality and speed and still be cheaper anyday!

WarLust said:
They are both 6ms. Where is this speed difference you speak of?

As for me, I'd take 24" over 20" with the same or better image quality and speed and still be cheaper anyday!

The Dell is $150 more than the NEC.

Because I use my 2405 for gaming. Higher resolution = more to look at.
And yes Glossy on the NEC does look purrty but when I am gaming I want it to be big and resonably sized right.

i swear my decision changes hour by hour.

now im hell-bent on getting a 2407 for computer work with a nec 20wmgx2 beside it on an ergotron arm. one for tv, one for gaming/computer

$$$$

i voted for the NEC because of the quality of their screens. i had to laugh though, cause i just made the results 50/50.

NEC. AS-IPS
drooling.gif

so far with the price range being so close for the 20" NEC and the 24" Dell, and there apparently being CRAP as the result of Dell's component..the only logical thing seems to be to wait for Benq's FP241W monitor. For a price around 900.00 and all the hookups and such, this seems/sounds like it will be the way to go.

korrupted-drk- said:
I don't know why in your right mind you'd suggest to not use the NEC for gaming. Have you actually used one before?

Quality over quantity. NEC > Dell.

The TV Tuner and Speaker are what puts the price of the NEC up so high. But the tuner is a great addition, especially if you're gonna use it for an HDTV.

Actually if you're going to use it for an HDTV, then the tuner makes no sense, as its not a hi-def capable tuner.

The NEC would be the better monitor for gaming. If you're going to be doing much else, then the 2407 would probably be better.

Even though they might be rated for the same response time, it doesn't mean they actually are the same as far as that goes. Response time is one of the most overblown specs on LCDs. I would say both should be adequate for gaming though.

Resolution isn't a big deal, as you could always do 1:1 pixel scaling on the 2407 and end up with roughly the same viewable size at the same resolution.

Personally, for me, I would go for the 2407. The extra size would be worth it to me. I like the NEC, from the glossy panel, to its performance, but I think its being built up a little bit too much, although I can't say for sure as I haven't seen either of these monitors in person. I'm not a big fan of the NEC's aesthetics though (don't really like the rounded silver bezel, and really don't like that its not terribly adjustable).

As for the BenQ, I hope it lives up to its potential. I'm kinda skeptical, as BenQ's monitors are decent but not typically great. I would however recommend waiting to see how it turns out. It could very well end up being worth it, sure sounds like it could be.

I have a feeling that Benq's FP241W and what it claims it can do, the price is going to give alot people heart attacks( my guess it will be $1,700 )
00 )

darkswordsman17 said:
Actually if you're going to use it for an HDTV, then the tuner makes no sense, as its not a hi-def capable tuner.

Hmmm yeah not sure what I was thinking there. You're right. And unless you're using an antenna you'd have some type of cable/satellite receiver in most cases anyways and use component input. Maybe I just meant regular TV. Who knows lol. Thanks for the correction however.

Anyone know what type of panel the Dell uses?

korrupted-drk- said:
Hmmm yeah not sure what I was thinking there. You're right. And unless you're using an antenna you'd have some type of cable/satellite receiver in most cases anyways and use component input. Maybe I just meant regular TV. Who knows lol. Thanks for the correction however.

Anyone know what type of panel the Dell uses?
Samsung PVA maybe, but the Dell...sometimes changing their panel not informing the customers..

jekyll917 said:
Samsung PVA maybe, but the Dell...sometimes changing their panel not informing the customers..

You are correct it uses a Samsung S-PVA. Close but not quite as good as an S-IPS on the NEC!

If you ever need to know what panel something using check out this site.
http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php

As was mentioned before though you have to be careful with Dell since they will change panels without altering part numbers.

Go with the 20WMGX2 for sure. Best 20 inch wide on the market.

BenQ makes some poor products too.

I just had a difficult time choosing between the NEC 20WMGX2 and the Philips 230WP7NS 23"

In the end, I chose the 20WMGX2. I'm a photographer, and image quality is most important to me. I also bought the "Eye One" display calibrator.

They're due to arrive on Monday, I'll post back with my impressions.

Back