OMG!!! Check out my Asus PW201!!!! Pics inside!

JonDoms

Gawd
More pics and the rest of my review here:

http://www.mowersclan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2678

I was searching for a wide screen glossy LCD for a few months now.
I wanted a decent performer with glossy to watch HDTV and play some BF2 every so often. First I saw the NEC 20WMGX2 in black. But the thing was $700 roughly. So I decided to keep on looking. I saw Fry's had that NEC on sale for a decent price every so often but looking at the price of that vs a normal high performing LCD like a Viewsonic VX2025wm the price was unjustifyable. Then I went into a phase of looking at Acer's lineup like the Ferrari F20. I thought that was a nice monitor except for the stand was funky.
Originally that thing was going for $600 as well. So I passed. Plus I wasn't too fond of the stand and it's limited range of adjustment. Then I saw that Acer had another 20inch version when I was at MicroCenter. It looked sharper then the F20 and it was cheaper. For only $450 I thought I found my glossy 20"!

I mulled it over for about a week then I checked www.centralcomputers.com and they had this on sale!!:
http://www.centralcomputers.com/itemdetail.asp?item=MONASUPW201R

A portrait picture of my desktop background:

IMG_3369.jpg

Kristen PWNZ:

IMG_3373.jpg

My desktop in action with HDTV in the corner:

IMG_3375.jpg

1st one Shawna Hiatt from World Poker Tour.
2nd one Kristen Cavaliri<sp> from Laguna Beach (MTV show).
3rd one Pic with head popping out the desktop Evangeline Lilly (Lost).

I assume this is the same S-IPS panel being used by the 2007fpw etc, anyone confirm?

Have you tested for backlight bleed? I had been torn between the 2007 and the NEC 20.1", but kinda wanted a glossy screen - unfortunately there's not much in the way of reviews around here for the Asus.

Lomic said:
I assume this is the same S-IPS panel being used by the 2007fpw etc, anyone confirm?

Have you tested for backlight bleed? I had been torn between the 2007 and the NEC 20.1", but kinda wanted a glossy screen - unfortunately there's not much in the way of reviews around here for the Asus.

I don't know if this is a S-IPS panel. And I haven't check for backlight bleeding. Ignorance is bliss. Seriously it looks great playing HDTV, playing BF2 it's awesome, and when in Windows MCE or my HDTV app it runs like a champ.

You would prolly need a 7800GTX or a 7900GT at minimum to push this.

And no way Kristen is 10x hotter.

JonDoms said:
Hey thx, JonDoms! I'm getting a 2007 next week also...hope there's no dead pixel..

Hi JonDoms

So glad you ended up buying Asus' absolutely brilliant monitor!! I just couldn't believe how clear the images were. I'm starting to do a turn around to glossy as I can see the depth people refer to. It makes the matte look a bit flat on some screens. I gather the screen is non-reflective as Asus claims. I found the people so helpful each time I rang them at Asus.

By the way, it's supposed to sport a 4/3 (what's that mean?) P-MVA 8m panel.

Don't forget Lamborghini helped Asus with the design and that it won about 4 awards with this monitor. So we've got Ferrari for Acer as you said and Lamborghini with this one.

Asus claimed it wasn't HDCP though which surprised me.

Anyway enjoy.

meganpepi said:
Hi JonDoms

So glad you ended up buying Asus' absolutely brilliant monitor!! I just couldn't believe how clear the images were. I'm starting to do a turn around to glossy as I can see the depth people refer to. It makes the matte look a bit flat on some screens. I gather the screen is non-reflective as Asus claims. I found the people so helpful each time I rang them at Asus.

By the way, it's supposed to sport a 4/3 (what's that mean?) P-MVA 8m panel.

Don't forget Lamborghini helped Asus with the design and that it won about 4 awards with this monitor. So we've got Ferrari for Acer as you said and Lamborghini with this one.

Asus claimed it wasn't HDCP though which surprised me.

Anyway enjoy.

Thanks! I love this monitor.
It's better than my Dell 2405FPW for HDTV viewing.
I'm glad you found Asus's support to be welcoming and helpful.
It supports 4:3 which is a different viewing format than widescreen.
Most TVs are 4:3 format vs widescreens are usually 16:9 or 16:10.
Basically screen ratio.
If you shine light on it or have a bright light sorce in the room you can see it but not as bad as my NEC 19" glossy original GX series.
And yea Lambo design wins!

JonDoms said:
Anychance to link the 1st & 2nd wall? Thanks

Noni said:
Panel is of the same as Viewsonic VX2025.

But Glossy!

Thanks _Korruption_ for doing the homework. Good to know what kind of panel this is.

I would've gone with the NEC if it wasn't for the price and the Butt look of the bezel and stand.

I know it is the same panel, but other than that what is this monitor like vs the Viewsonic VX2025?

Thanks for the link, JonDoms.
Anyway, though it's same panel as VX2025wm, but I still think the design of this one is much better...also it's glossy that will make the gaming much fun.

Just some info I thought I'd share in case you haven't come across it before. A quick way of working out the panel used in a monitor is to do a google search and type the model name of the monitor along with the panel you think has been used. You must mention the word "panel" eg. To find out the panel for the Asus LCD we're referring to I'd type the words: Asus PW201 MVA panel and do a google search. If I thought it were an AUO panel I'd type: Asus PW201 AUO panel. Even if you pick the wrong panel you will find out the correct panel when you do the search. I hope this all makes sense - it's way past bed time!

glad to see that someone from the [H] decided to pick up this monitor.How is the 3.1 webcam? Glad to see there is more competition in the widescreen display market these days.

Grap3S0da said:
glad to see that someone from the [H] decided to pick up this monitor.How is the 3.1 webcam? Glad to see there is more competition in the widescreen display market these days.

It's good if you are still. Check out my full review here:
http://www.mowersclan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2678

Dynafrom said:
Where'd you get those wallpapers?

See page 1 of this thread. I'm going to post the Kristen set up later.

meh, that first chick needs to work on her legs more, oh nice monitor :p

Has anyone tried to measure input lag on this monitor? I expect it will be fairly low, like the Viewsonic, but it would be nice to see some screenshots.
Thanks!

Hmm got any tools to measure it?
Also what screenshots would you like?

I can work on them tonight.

So if this is basically the Viewsonic VX2025wm with a glossy screen, why's it $200 more?

I mean, that combo sounds perfect for me, but it's too close to the NEC's price ($650).

Well,
I think it's a combination of things.
Facts:
1. It's designed by Lamborghini.
2. You're paying the Asus brand name premium.
3. Built in web cam costs.
4. Built in speakers costs.
5. Better materials for the bezel and stand.
6. The stand is the best stand design hands down.

Ok ok the last one is opinion, but I have not seen anything that is built as sturdy and yet flexible / conveniant. NEC stands do the swivel / turn table rotation trick, but they are plastic and have this horrible cover that never fits properly. At least on my 19inch GX original.

Now is it worth a $200 upgrade in price? Ehh that's debateable.
I paid it. But I would like to see this panel at $450 or even less.
I would get one for my GF it it fell to $400.

And don't forget the NEC price is before shipping and tax (if applicable.)

My Asus was about $570 out the door. But it was a better option than the Acer one and better looking than the NEC. Performance wise the NEC performs slightly better and is slightly brighter. Then again I don't need a LCD suntan or starined eyes staring at the superbrightness.

Sounds great, if I see it drop to $450 range I may get it. I don't need the webcam or the rotation, but the glossy screen is a must.

is asus same as motherboard brand? if so, i never put two and two together... when i bought my first asus laptop about 10 months ago thinking the asus was a new company...

Sydek said:
is asus same as motherboard brand? if so, i never put two and two together... when i bought my first asus laptop about 10 months ago thinking the asus was a new company...

Hahahahahaha Yea they are branching out and trying to make everything now.
Next thing you know they will have cars out on the market.

I'd prolly buy one.
Hahahahaha

And yes I would love to see the price at low $400s. This thing would see like hot cakes.

Back