iTunes and Quicktime on x64 Windows?

DeadlyAura

Supreme [H]ardness
I recently updated to x64 Windows, and not iTunes and Quicktime will not boot. There are no error messages when installing. Quicktime does not boot or error when trying to run it, it just doesn't run. iTunes "iTunes has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." error message.

Anyone know what is up with that? I have reinstalled multiple times now and no change. I would really really like to be able to use my iPod, so ANY help is appreciated.

Oh... I see. Well. Any idea on a solution to this little problem? Because updating the iPod is very vital seeing as how there are no songs on it because the last thing I did before teh reformat was reflash the firmware.....

PS: I lose

Yeah , I had this same problem. What a bitch to figure out. You CAN get it all working , you just need to follow these steps and have some patience.

1.) Uninstall all all iTunes / Quicktime apps from your computer.

2.) Download the latest version of the iTunes / Quicktime combo from Apple.

3.) Download Quicktime 7.0.4 from here http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/quicktime704.html

4.) Download the latest version of Quicktime Alternitive from here.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Video-Players/QuickTime-Alternative.shtml

Allright , now we are ready to roll! Go ahead and install the latest version of iTunes / Quicktime. It will go through the install process and then fail. Now go to the Add / Remove Programs in your control panel. Attempt to uninstall Quicktime , it may or may not let you. If it gives you an error or says that there are applications that need Quicktime just forget this step. Afterwards go and install the latest version of Quicktime Alternitive and overwrite any files if it asks you to. Now go back to Add Remove Programs in the control panel and uninstall Quicktime Alternitive. Almost done! Now reboot your computer and install Quicktime 7.0.4 it should complete without issue. If everything worked correctly you should now have iTunes and Quicktime working great in x64!

Just make sure to tell Quicktime not to auto update. Apple seems to have borked x64 support pretty hard in the latest version. Also after installing these you will notice an error in your event viewer about a driver named "GEARaspiwdm.dll" or something to that affect. Just ignore it , this file is related to the CD recording and ripping portion of iTunes. If you remove it iTunes will freak and most functionality will be lost. Hope this helps!

Back