whats the best desk around

Wreckless_Process

Limp Gawd
i dont want to build sumthin custom cuz i would spend thousands. but i want a new desk with more room. that i can slide my chair under. is black and looks cool.(and can hold up my best of a 21in sony trinitron CRT

i dont waan spend mroe than 150. so let the ideas rip.

Wreckless_Process said:
i dont want to build sumthin custom cuz i would spend thousands. but i want a new desk with more room. that i can slide my chair under. is black and looks cool.(and can hold up my best of a 21in sony trinitron CRT

Yeah, some desks cost $10,000 for you to build it yourself. There, we are done with that damn thing.

clockworks said:
Yeah, some desks cost $10,000 for you to build it yourself. There, we are done with that damn thing.
Yeah, those plain steel doors (on top of milk crates) sure cost gajillionz (with a 'z', not an 's').

After seeing so many glass and metal desks, I've decided all of them are cheap and flimsy. I went with a black and silver jerker from IKEA.

PCMusicGuy said:
After seeing so many glass and metal desks, I've decided all of them are cheap and flimsy. I went with a black and silver jerker from IKEA.

LOL. I feel the same way about everything I ever purchased at IKEA... (I never had a Jerker desk though.. I needed a desk that was a little different than all the desks I have seen so I modded mine and people think it's a Jerker at first glance) I didn't have enough room for my speakers so I had to improvise.. and I also built some shelves for it.

here are some pics my desk. got it at K-Mart for $40 when it was going out of business in my area. heh

http://gear.ign.com/articles/699/699375p3.html

Local University suplus can net you some really nice stuff in that range.

Oh and
10kdeskeverytimebraincellsmrbr.jpg

the desk feels very sturdy to me, you can push it from any side and it will not flex of move at all. it is held together with some long bolts that do a great job of keeping it stedy.

It is pretty huge and has plenty of space for holding just about anything. my desk at college is the size of just the part with the 20" lcd on it so I really miss the size when i go to college.

the os-x is running on the dell pc, its a 2.53ghz celeron-d with 1gb of ram and an 80gb hard drive, it also has windows xp, and Ubuntu Linux on it :). its basically my machine for just messing around with different stuff :)

Jerker here. Nothing like a full yard of depth to satisfy my surface area needs. You would be hard pressed to fill this desk if you are organized.

Throw my hat in the Jerker ring.. ive been really happy with mine. at some point ill have to post a pic of my setup. Maybe this evening.

Spectre said:
Local University suplus can net you some really nice stuff in that range.

Oh and
[im]http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8097/10kdeskeverytimebraincellsmrbr.jpg[/img]

Beat me to it :p.

if you windex the whole thing really good then wipe it down with a dryer sheet it helps keep alot of dust off it :)

Wreckless_Process said:
... for $150 or less you aren't going to get the "best desk around". Instead you will get a halfway decent desk that will quickly deteriorate as you leave more and more drinks with condensation on top of it...

Just goto all the local office stores, sit down in front of what they got on display for that price range, visualize your hardware on it, (perhaps take some measurements), and eventually you will find one that speaks to you...

i love my desk, $90 from staples:
desk.jpg

here is a more recent shot of it, a little more "updated"
desk_updated.jpg

hedpe said:
[IM]http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/gnychis/desk.jpg[/IMG]

[IM]http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/gnychis/desk_updated.jpg[/IMG]

:eek:

I see taking a trip to staples in my near future (tonight) :p.

michealo said:
alot of enthusiasts swear by the "jerker" from ikea

this annoys me, the "jerker" is not only a horrible name for a desk, but doesn't look at that great to me, they all look bleh and uncomfortable.. i'm planning on getting the maestro or office pro modular desks at officemax once they go back on sale, no hutch though

hedpe said:
desk.jpg

desk_updated.jpg

Im looking to buy a new desk this weekend (this is why my lovley desk the thing is 15 years old :( ), I think I just found the one im looking for but on staple website site it says its $119...owell I should have just enough.

the desk is absolutely awesome, and you're right, its $119 now... i think i paid $90 for it on sale last year, right before the school year started.

Its great though, my monitor sits back far enough that I can have a book there, and also since the keyboard slides from underneath, you can write on paper in front of the monitor without having to push the keyboard aside

I like how i can work to the left or to the right also, as you can see my laptops on the right, so easy to just swivel my chair to the right a little bit

it was extremely easy to assemble from what i remember, and its stayed completely sturdy for a full year now

hedpe said:
desk.jpg

desk_updated.jpg
wow finally they work and god i like it alot. but its hugeee. my room is only 11.01ft x 10.15ft. unless i can figure out a way to put it in.

hedpe, what brand name desk is that? I looked through the staples web site but found nothing.

It looks great.

Wreckless_Process said:
wow finally they work and god i like it alot. but its hugeee. my room is only 11.01ft x 10.15ft. unless i can figure out a way to put it in.
I have the same sized room...well kinda my sister is in my actul room right now(much bigger than this room :( I want it back) and it will be blocking a closet, which my desk is so really no biggy plus sister just got a new job so maybe she will move out with in the next couple months then I wont have this problem.Also this could be a dumb question but do you think this thing can hold a 27" CTR tv?

Chowder Head said:
hedpe, what brand name desk is that? I looked through the staples web site but found nothing. It looks great.
Indeed what is the make/model of this. Looks outstanding for the rice you guys bought it. If no make at least a link please. This is no longer on the Staples web site.

I like my custom made desk.
It was originally made for video editing and I bought it from my friend who made it when we started getting rid of editing decks and went with computers.
desk-06.jpg

it shouldn't cost more than $150 to make and you can finish it in black if you like.
I had 2 21" Sony CRT's on it a few years back.

Another vote for the Jerker. I had two 19" viewsonic (PF790) monitors on it with room to spare on both sides, a printer on the swivel tray, books on top, and PLENTY of desk space to spare. It is one of the best Ikea products I've ever seen.

I am not getting the appeal that you guys have for the jerker. Could some of you post a couple pics of your setup so I can better guage why?

pettybone said:
I am not getting the appeal that you guys have for the jerker. Could some of you post a couple pics of your setup so I can better guage why?

P1010004.1024.jpg

I have the same desk. Two of them in fact, in two corners of my office, wrapping around the room like a big 'U'.

They are great desks for the money, but the top surface is VERY scratchable. It takes nothing at all to scratch away the granite-gray surface.

They are also intolerant of moisture. A sweating Ice-Tea glass bulged up the particleboard on mine in one spot.

Finally, the area where I mouse is wearing away quickly.

Like I said. Nice desk for the money, but longevity is in question.

-Larry

hedpe said:
desk.jpg

desk_updated.jpg

Ok, so I didnt get that desk, our staples didnt have any in stock, but I got another one and it's smaller than that other desk.I set this desk up and it fits just right in here, so the other one I would probly had problems and since you have the same size room you probly will too, but here's a look at my new desk and I love it you can pick one up at staples for 80 bucks.

IMAG0133.jpg

IMAG0136.jpg

IMAG0132.jpg

ya I think those things are hideous.

pettybone said:

Back