QPack PSU discussion thread

n00btard

Gawd
My friend is convinced that his QPack's power supply is perfectly fine, and is trusting that piece of crap to power his PC, even after I linked him to jonnyguru's review. Let's hear those QPack horror stories, to convince him that it's worth splurging on a power supply!

Your friend sounds like your handle.

What's to discuss? It sucks ass chunks.

Just tell him that buying a new PSU is insurance to not having all his equipment fried by that POS. Zzzap!

Mine wouldn't run with the stock PSU for more than about a minute before it rebooted. Over and over. Seemed to work ok as long as i didn't actually do anything (i.e. just power it up and stare at it). I would _guess_ that it's fine if you don't put too much demand on it. I've only got one HD and a 9800Pro and it couldn't handle it. They seem to be very inconsistent in quality, i've heard about a few people that are fine with the stock one, but far more people have posted about it sucking 'tocks.

Replaced it with an Enermax Liberty 400W, been rock solid ever since. The Enermax is quieter too. ;]

I have not witnessed this, but I have heard that they occasionally catch fire...

Failure is constant with the power supply, especially if it has any load. According to JonnyGuru, it sucks ass: http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/AspireXQpack/420W.html

What? Coming with a power supply is a con? Well, considering the PSU probably makes up about $20 of the street price of this thing and I would be better served with a brick installed in place of the power supply (solely for self defense reasons) I would say the PSU is a con.

Needless to say, this power supply is a total bust. Not only does it not do 420W, it barely does half that. If I were to rate the power supply as a stand alone unit, I would rate it a 0 for performance, an 7 for aesthetics (it did have some nicely sleeved cables,) a 1 for value, a 1 for functionality (lack of connectors hurts it as much as it's crappy performance) for a total score of 1. The fact that it worked at all and had nicely sleeved cables saved it from a big fat Zero.

It will not even output 300w and the voltages are inconsistent, which means it could prove fatal for your friend's computer. Do him a favor and remove the PSU, then destroy it. Then, get him the 450w X-Clio. It is cheap and runs way better than the Q-Pack's PSU (or lack thereof).

Lol. Let him experience he's wrong the hard way...

Even if the PSU does not fail, it does not change the fact it is a bad performer.

n00btard said:
and HE thinks I'm a dumbass for buying a 520W OCZ Powerstream... :confused:

has he had the chance to physically compare and contrast the powerstream and pos aspire? I would think that would convince him

Aww, but it's soooo pwetty, with dem blue lights and stuff. It can't be bad, can it? :rolleyes:

Tell your friend that you want dibs on his non-busted hardware after that psu flames out and kills his rig. That thing needs to be replaced. It's one of the weakest, most improperly-represented ones out there. It couldn't even power a 6600GT and A64 3200 properly. But an Enermax Liberty 500w or a Modstream 520 can power a 7800GT and an Opteron 165 without breaking a sweat. :D

Compare psu voltage performance with Speedfan or something. Watch the rails dip like they were in a limbo contest. Run Prime95, and see the +12v rail dip to 11.3 or lower, causing reboots. Proof right there.

How much room do you have for DVD drives after you switch out the stock PSU with an Enermax Liberty?

joecrouch_75 said:
How much room do you have for DVD drives after you switch out the stock PSU with an Enermax Liberty?

Q-Pack PSU is 11cm deep, standard ATX PSUs such as the Liberty are 14cm deep.

MiG29TangentBoy said:
Aww, but it's soooo pwetty, with dem blue lights and stuff. It can't be bad, can it? :rolleyes:

Tell your friend that you want dibs on his non-busted hardware after that psu flames out and kills his rig. That thing needs to be replaced. It's one of the weakest, most improperly-represented ones out there. It couldn't even power a 6600GT and A64 3200 properly. But an Enermax Liberty 500w or a Modstream 520 can power a 7800GT and an Opteron 165 without breaking a sweat. :D

Compare psu voltage performance with Speedfan or something. Watch the rails dip like they were in a limbo contest. Run Prime95, and see the +12v rail dip to 11.3 or lower, causing reboots. Proof right there.

my friend's got a multimeter, so we'll face off with that whenever we get around to it. In the meantime, he's busy raping his brand new Macbook which raised the temp in his room by 0.5C.

Well...I just got a Qpack and the PSU is suprisingly fine ... but Im replacing it anyways with that Xclio just to be sure =)

Currently the aspire 420w thats in there is driving my system fine...speedfan is not showing and voltage drops when system is under load. Also I have my processor clocked from 1.8ghz to 2.55ghz(3000+ A64) without a hiccup. My 7600GT is also oc'd from 580mhz to 640mhz on the core with no problems also.

I played EQ2 for a few days straight at these settings and my computer never once had any stability problems. Also played CS:S for a few hours here and there..no problems either.

Maybe they released a new revision of the psu. Im hoping that my new psu and the new heatsinks(Zalman 7000ALcu-LED and Zalman VF700ALcu-LED) Im gettin for cpu and vid card will allow me some higher clocks =)

If not thats cool, at least I know for sure my system is getting healthy stable power.

GenTarkin said:
Well...I just got a Qpack and the PSU is suprisingly fine ... but Im replacing it anyways with that Xclio just to be sure =)

Currently the aspire 420w thats in there is driving my system fine...speedfan is not showing and voltage drops when system is under load. Also I have my processor clocked from 1.8ghz to 2.55ghz(3000+ A64) without a hiccup. My 7600GT is also oc'd from 580mhz to 640mhz on the core with no problems also.

I played EQ2 for a few days straight at these settings and my computer never once had any stability problems. Also played CS:S for a few hours here and there..no problems either.

Maybe they released a new revision of the psu. Im hoping that my new psu and the new heatsinks(Zalman 7000ALcu-LED and Zalman VF700ALcu-LED) Im gettin for cpu and vid card will allow me some higher clocks =)

If not thats cool, at least I know for sure my system is getting healthy stable power.

Um, don't use software readouts to judge a psu. DMM is needed at the least

Put together a Qpack for a friend about a year ago for a media system running a A64/3000+. System has been fine on stock PSU. Built another one 4 months ago with the supposed improved PSU and voltages were all over the place causing system errors. I've built 3 more since and have yanked all the PSU's as soon as the case cover comes off.

Aspire should just capitulate and offer the Qpack without a PSU.

Never even put mine in. Took my new QPack to work to show my friend, and gave the PSU to him out of the box. (He wanted it for testing/backup...w/e) Put an Enermax 535w in it, lasted one week. Replaced that with an Ultra 500w, flying high ever since (8 months).

Mine had to manage a month in the case, before i had money for a power supply...

Well the fan stopped spinning up, the leds were on but no rotation, causing for it to get hot, oneday i heard a loud BANG (and luckily none of my components were damaged) I looked to see what it was and came down to it being teh PSU i replaced it the next day with a Axasa PaxPower 400W which is much better and lovely stable rails, compared to the Stock psu, one my akasa was in i decided to open up the stock PSU to find a Large burn mark on one of the heatsinks and a few black capacitors.

QPack PSU sucks in other words.

i built a Qpack machine for a client a few months ago, And i suggested to him to invest money for a new PSU as the one that came in the case is utter crap. He refused to get one when i built the machine. Well last week i had to order him a new PSU and install it....

Show us some pictures of the fireworks that PSU will make, along with all your stuff in that Q Pack :D

Get a new PSU, i raplaced my with Antec 350 Blue. Works like a champ :p

will the enermax liberty 400W be enough to power my qpack?.....my specs are on sig.

So what power supply would people suggest to be the BEST replacement that fits well in an X-Qpack?

Get the 450w XClio if you don't want to spend much. It is really inexpensive on Newegg.

from the looks of it, you can rip out the drive bays from a Q-Pack and stuff a monster Powerstream in there. All you have to do after that is duct-tape your optical drive to the outside.

hey, i didn't want to create anew thread when this one is already made. Im ordering an X-QPack this coming up Thursday and i have a question about PSU.

Will this one fit in the case?? I do want modular cables so that i dont have extra cables just hanging there.

Antec NeoHE 500

I will be doing some OCing to a yet to be decided CPU. it will be AMD though on a Biostar Motherboard. Thanx in advance ^^

Back